League position come the end of the season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:19 pm

It would be nice to do it after :

Jose laughs at Liverpool

Jose Mourinho has told Liverpool to forget about winning the title this season and laughed off suggestions that The Reds have a jinx over Chelsea.

The Chelsea boss said: "Since I arrived, I've played eight times against Liverpool.

"We won four, drew three and lost one.

"The difference is enormous. When I hear them say they can win the title, it makes me feel like laughing."

Link to Maureen's Comments
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby romliv » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:30 pm

Kiwi-Kopite wrote:Where do you think we will finish come the end of the season? Can we win the EPL? i would like to think we can and i think this is our season.

In rafa we trust

to get the title i think it will be really a miracle  :oh:  but to finish 2nd it's more realistic but we sould not forget that the season still very long and we will play many big games away ???

In rafa we trust :)
when we don't have what we love, we must love what we have!
romliv

Postby Effes » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:07 pm

I think 2nd. The bookies say that WITHOUT Chelsea:

Man U are Evs
:censored: and LFC 5/2       Well worth a bet

But surely Istanbul taught us that maybe..just maybe
To win outright we are 25/1
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:17 pm

I don't think we will win the Premier League this season. Chelsea have got too much of a head start. We will finish second 12 points behind in my opinion.

Next season however i believe we can win it
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reina From Spaina » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:43 pm

hobbes wrote:Look at the big pic out of the 13 points difference between Chelsea and us.

Chelsea has a good at least 3 big games left. For a club of invincible record. it still has to play MU, Arsenal and Liverpool ( a match each). Besides, some boogy clubs like Everton, and Bolton would be a prob. So dont loose hope.

MU is out of the Championship and UEFA Cup. They will be aiming for the Premiership now as they are tailing Chelsea along with us.

It is nice to see the race is ongoing where anything can happen.

It's not over by a long shot, Chelsea do have big games left, and we are second.

Not including Chelsea, I would say we are the best of the rest anyway, and could well finish second.

The fact I dont think we will win the league is because I dont think the consistency will last till may.

we have to play Ar*sholes twice , red scum, and chelsea, plus everton twice, bolton, etc.

and more!
Reina From Spaina

Postby JC_81 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:56 pm

Ignoring Chelsea, I think the major thing that will determine whether we are seriously capable of challenging Chelsea this season is how we react to our next defeat.  It's all well and good saying we can win the title when everything is going our way, but it's how the team reacts to the next game they lose that will, for me, show how far we've come.  If we lose to Everton or Newcastle and then go 3-4 games without a win then we've no chance of winning the league.

We have to hope that our start to the season was our only blip, because we can't afford another spell like that.  Personally I think this season is too soon.  A few injuries to key players could still see us struggle to keep a top 4 spot, because we don't have the strength in depth.  Having said that, if we avoid major injuries  and Chelsea lose a couple of games you never know.

My other fear is that all those champions league qualifiers at the start of the season plus the trip to Japan will take its toll on the players at some point.  For this reason reinforcements in January are an absolute must.  A winger, a centre half and a striker is the minimum requirement in my opinion.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:01 pm

it's a fair point you make with regards to injuries john. that's the main difference. if we lose key players such as carragher, gerrard, alonso etc then we are in serious trouble. chelsea on the other hand can just bring in players who are equally as good.

to be honest we deserve some good luck on the injury front after last seasons farce.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:32 pm

stmichael wrote:it's a fair point you make with regards to injuries john. that's the main difference. if we lose key players such as carragher, gerrard, alonso etc then we are in serious trouble. chelsea on the other hand can just bring in players who are equally as good.

to be honest we deserve some good luck on the injury front after last seasons farce.

You're also right that we deserve some luck on that front, last season was a joke with the amount of injuries we had, it played a major part in our inconsistency.

Going into the second half of the season without doing any business in January would be suicidal, but I'm sure Benitez knows this.  He won't risk upsetting the fans with his transfer policy again.  He made mistakes in the summer, we know it and he admitted as much himself. 

We've been fairly fortunate with injuries so far this season which has disguised the fact that we didnt do enough to get the players we needed in the summer, but this is no time to get complacent. New players are needed, lets not wait until we lose a couple of players and have a few bad results to remind us of that fact.  If we get the right players in January we will be in a fantastic position and the fact Figo, Owen or Simao didnt sign in the summer won't have mattered.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion