Lazio game, what worried me...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:53 am

Again the defence.

We had the discussion on here the other day about how everyone thinks our defence is marvelous etc and theres no faults blah de blah... While I was saying there were problems in my opinion without someone who's arially dominant.

Yesterday I think the hole team suffered because of the way the defence played.

Now, we can paper over the cracks and say we kept a clean sheet, but the fact is, when you win a game is the best time to critisize in my opinion as it doesn't become knee jerk :censored:.

The fact is, during that match, we lost out on far to many headers from long balls. There were at least 4 or 5 occassions the Lazio players beat our centre backs in the air and they then gained possession from it in the final third. Now, what worries me is if this happens in the league and the ball falls to better players thirty and forty yards out its going to cause us massive problems. Now they also scored from a set piece at the end of the game which was disallowed (not sure it should have been) but the fella was completely unmarked, again which worries me.

Not only that but in terms of attacking play I thought Aggers distribution was very hit and miss and Arbeloa offered next to nothing going forward. It also suffered due to the positions they were picking the ball up in. The lack of football down the right side of the team with Arbeloa and Kuyt was extremely worrying aswell and hindered alot of our attacking play with square passes and backwards ones.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:51 pm

Thread reopened. Carry on stu - good points highlighted.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:55 pm

f'ing hell mods make your mind up...
i said something in the other thread saying its not TOO important now as still pre season but alot of work needs to be done. whos our defensive coach? we nede to work on a lot before the season starts but still not worried
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Pellegrino
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:01 pm

I watched the Lazio game , with you in mind regarding the defense stu . I have to say i agree 100% wth you . We lost far to many basic headers to forwards who were not that big . Carra and agger were both guilty of this and it didn't change until sami came on and started winning the headers.

Our defending at set pieces was pretty bad aswell and we got away with it really . My only consolation was that Skrtle wasn't playing and i'm hopeing he will be far stronger and will be our main ball winner in the air ,apart from Hyypia.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:12 pm

This thread can be ditched if everyone's happy enough to carry over the points raised by stu in his original topic. Apologies guys, was only trying to keep everything in the one place...

As you were then, this thread will now be closed.

No need to apologise Red, you only thought what was best.

I'll comment on this topic another time, I'm off to bed ... Later.
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:24 pm

I agree mate, I thought we showed similar problems at the back to those we had last season. Free headers against us in the centre of our penalty area and poor defensive play from set pieces. I also thought we got dragged out of position a couple of times when Dossena went forward. Maybe thats why Rafa wanted Barry , because I noticed that when Plessis covered for Dossena the Lazio player beat him as if he wasn't there.

On a more positive note I thought Agger looked much sharper than in the previous games and seems to be coming back much faster than I expected after such a long time out.

Kuyt had a bad game his touch was poor, he missed good chances and like you say our attacks broke down as he was forced time and again to play the ball backwards. Again to be fair, I think he has played much better in our previous games....... not that I think he is good enough for a starting role at Liverpool.

TBH I didn't notice Arbeloa at all, which either means he had a good game and did nothing wrong...... or had a bad game and did nothing good  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:18 pm

I agree it wasn't the best game when it comes to aerial balls, but I disagree to make a worry out of a game, as I consider the Carraguer-Agger perhaps the couple I've liked most the last two seasons. Hopefully Skrtel will become a younger replica of Hyypia in terms of solidness for those games in which aerieal power is needed, but if you ask me, and despite none of them are extremely strong in the air, that would be the couple I'd like to see more often during the season.

It's curious, I agree Stu on many players but not Agger. I rate him a lot.

I have read not only this Stu's concern but also other posts of weeks ago in which the defence is mentioned as a weaker point. To be honest, I disagree.

Not impressed with Dossena in the game, and neither with Arbeloa, but I liked how the team as a whole looked like at this point of the summer.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:28 pm

you worry too much mate, it was a friendly and the points raised will be gone over before the next game, now go have a beer.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby est1900 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:05 pm

Fo Dne wrote:Again the defence.

We had the discussion on here the other day about how everyone thinks our defence is marvelous etc and theres no faults blah de blah... While I was saying there were problems in my opinion without someone who's arially dominant.

Now, we can paper over the cracks and say we kept a clean sheet, but the fact is, when you win a game is the best time to critisize in my opinion as it doesn't become knee jerk :censored:.

The fact is, during that match, we lost out on far to many headers from long balls. There were at least 4 or 5 occassions the Lazio players beat our centre backs in the air and they then gained possession from it in the final third. Now, what worries me is if this happens in the league and the ball falls to better players thirty and forty yards out its going to cause us massive problems. Now they also scored from a set piece at the end of the game which was disallowed (not sure it should have been) but the fella was completely unmarked, again which worries me.

Not only that but in terms of attacking play I thought Aggers distribution was very hit and miss and Arbeloa offered next to nothing going forward. It also suffered due to the positions they were picking the ball up in. The lack of football down the right side of the team with Arbeloa and Kuyt was extremely worrying aswell and hindered alot of our attacking play with square passes and backwards ones.

Nothing to be worried, Liverpool Fc is a great team...

and also with a great defence, Agger...
est1900

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:39 am

J*o*n*D*o*e wrote:you worry too much mate, it was a friendly and the points raised will be gone over before the next game, now go have a beer.

:nod  :nod
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:37 am

What this game showed is how average Kuyt starts to look, when the other team's start to keep it tight at the back.  He looked really good when the game started, but then when Lazio started to play more conservatively, Kuyt was just shut down.  He ran out of ideas and he just became very predictable in attack.  I think we'll need another player on the right for those tough teams that come to Anfield to park the bus, because for me he does not have the skill to brake down tight defenses.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:37 am

Sound, league titles in the bag then chaps.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby skatesy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:45 am

Do you think not having Mascherano in the squad is effecting us a bit?
skatesy

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:36 am

Fo Dne wrote:Again the defence.

some good points there , but i think that the loss of mascherano has affected us as well , he as the one who would track back and just sit in front the the defense , would be interesting to see how e cope , or how the defense copes in the first two games . We still have a week before the season starts and rafa would have noticed our defensive problems as well and would work on it during this week . When the season opens we'll be sharp and ready
Last edited by Toffeehater on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion