Lazio game, what worried me...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby banana » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:23 pm

The biggest worry right now is:

DIRK KUYT.

He is absolutely :censored:. Offer no threath. Horrible player.
Getting azzf@cked against standard.

Robbie Keane is average. 18 million is a joke.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:59 pm

And you're basing that on 4 pre season games and 1 champions league for keane . You're a joke
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:03 pm

It just showed today that stu is right about our defenders! Std.Leige won everything in the air against our backfour! we couldn't handle them because our defenders are unable to win a ball! Defending set pieces from our part was a joke, we were very lucky not to concede in the early first half when they hit the post (coming from a set piece)
Last edited by metalhead on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 pm

I will be the first to admit, based on the performance tonight against Leige - that I was very wrong about our defense and stand corrected. It was an appalling performance.

Honestly, hope this isn't the sign of things to come.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:15 pm

Thats the problem with zonal marking , we need to man mark as they clearly had some big size players . We conceded alot from zonal marking last season, i think its time we change our player and man mark.  Our defenders are :censored: poor in the air bar sami hypia who should give the whole defence a bloody good lecture tomorrow and a lesson in heading :nod
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 pm

Not the zonal marking again! its not Zonal marking's fault, we had the second best defence back in 2005/2006 year because of zonal marking. That year we still had Hyppia at his top of his game, dominating in the air, dealt excellently with crosses and set pieces.

Hyppia's past it right now, and we don't have any defenders who is aerially dominant as Hyppia was back then! We need a defender who can pick out crosses, win headers and tackles! If we do get someone like that, no one will ever mention zonal marking again! IF we do get someone.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:35 am

Toffeehater wrote:And you're basing that on 4 pre season games and 1 champions league for keane . You're a joke

And that one or two can be highlighted for criticism when few should escape it. Even Torres didn't have a great game, who did?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:38 am

metalhead wrote:Not the zonal marking again! its not Zonal marking's fault, we had the second best defence back in 2005/2006 year because of zonal marking. That year we still had Hyppia at his top of his game, dominating in the air, dealt excellently with crosses and set pieces.

Hyppia's past it right now, and we don't have any defenders who is aerially dominant as Hyppia was back then! We need a defender who can pick out crosses, win headers and tackles! If we do get someone like that, no one will ever mention zonal marking again! IF we do get someone.

thats exactly it , we don't have hypia anymore so change our style of play .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:47 am

Fo Dne wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
This potentially is the best Liverpool team since we won the title IF we can sign the right players and they are played in the right positions. Gerrard on the right with Mascherano and Alonso in the middle, Keane and Torres upfront

No fecking way Stu.

Pair them together in a 4-2-3-1 By all means, but in a flat four midfield it didnt work especially when we were after three points IMO.

There ya go.

Exactly numnuts.  :D

Their defensive midefielders playing in a deeper role FINE.

But when their in a Flat four midfield they cannot just do the defensive stuff, equally one of them needs to push up and support the attackers. One really needs to be a box to box midfielder at least. Having two defensive midfielders in a midfield of four and in the center is a NO NO for me.

Dont you remember when Rafa paired them together the season before last when we had a flat four midfield? We were void of any creativity in the middle, no ideas atall and completely toothless, I rememebr it clear as mud.

Your missing my point Stu because in the 4-2-3-1, you have Gerrard ahead of them in the center, giving us what we need when we're going forward.

Simple really and to say the formations and just names on paper and are folly to the game itself is a bit rich coming from a guy with a UEFA badge, I reckon.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:56 am

One thing I do remember, getting back on topic.

Before Houllier signed Hyypia, we were absolutely shocking at the back, and especially in the air. We had the likes of Babb, and Picnic and well dross like that. None of them were good in the air and that was why Houllier brought in our big Finn. So its no surprise to see when hes not in the team we're become pretty average in the air at the back. We're almost back to square one again, I stress in the air that is, just before Robert Peel and the thought Police come raiding in. I dont think Skertel or Agger are going to be ever as imposing in the air as Sami is. Although Agger certainly is a better ball playing CB than Hyypia, both have strenghts and weakness' respectively.

But Rafas brought them now,  young CB's and I cannot see him spending again on a more "typical" center back just because our current ones are weaker in the air. We will pay for that I'm sure at times this season.
66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:50 am

I've said it before and I will say it again. Goals for us will not be a problem, it is at the back were the league will be won.
On last night's display every ball hoofed into the box looked like a goal.

I'm getting sick of Carra hoofing it too.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Fo Dne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:03 am

Bamaga man wrote:One thing I do remember, getting back on topic.

Before Houllier signed Hyypia, we were absolutely shocking at the back, and especially in the air. We had the likes of Babb, and Picnic and well dross like that. None of them were good in the air and that was why Houllier brought in our big Finn. So its no surprise to see when hes not in the team we're become pretty average in the air at the back. We're almost back to square one again, I stress in the air that is, just before Robert Peel and the thought Police come raiding in. I dont think Skertel or Agger are going to be ever as imposing in the air as Sami is. Although Agger certainly is a better ball playing CB than Hyypia, both have strenghts and weakness' respectively.

But Rafas brought them now,  young CB's and I cannot see him spending again on a more "typical" center back just because our current ones are weaker in the air. We will pay for that I'm sure at times this season.

Agger's better on the ball?

I'm sorry but I don't buy it at all. His distribution is so over rated its unreal. The amount of aimless punts and lack of intelligence he shows in incredible. He has 20 to thirty yards at times and just hoofs it, its brain dead.

10 year olds are taught to carry the ball into space when its there, yet Agger thinks its acceptable to just aimlessly hoof it?

Hyypia ALWAYS looks for the pass first and lets face it, if Alonso doesn't offer it, no-one else will, Babel certainly wouldn't, Gerrard rarely does, Riise hardly ever did and Arbeloa and Kuyt don't.

Agger's ball playing ability is a myth due to good technique and the ability to carry the ball (when he can be arsed).
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:05 am

Bamaga man wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
This potentially is the best Liverpool team since we won the title IF we can sign the right players and they are played in the right positions. Gerrard on the right with Mascherano and Alonso in the middle, Keane and Torres upfront

No fecking way Stu.

Pair them together in a 4-2-3-1 By all means, but in a flat four midfield it didnt work especially when we were after three points IMO.

There ya go.

Exactly numnuts.  :D

Their defensive midefielders playing in a deeper role FINE.

But when their in a Flat four midfield they cannot just do the defensive stuff, equally one of them needs to push up and support the attackers. One really needs to be a box to box midfielder at least. Having two defensive midfielders in a midfield of four and in the center is a NO NO for me.

Dont you remember when Rafa paired them together the season before last when we had a flat four midfield? We were void of any creativity in the middle, no ideas atall and completely toothless, I rememebr it clear as mud.

Your missing my point Stu because in the 4-2-3-1, you have Gerrard ahead of them in the center, giving us what we need when we're going forward.

Simple really and to say the formations and just names on paper and are folly to the game itself is a bit rich coming from a guy with a UEFA badge, I reckon.

Yeah totally because you can play them with four attacking players in a 4-2-3-1-1-324-123-4-25--245- but in a 4-4-2 you can't play them with four attacking players and get the same result can you.

Like I said, the two teams I wrote down, whats the difference?

Do you honestly think the way you write it down on a peice of paper matters?

:no
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 am

The amount of aimless punts and lack of intelligence

Your talking about Sami right ?

Stu I refer you to me previous posts, as you keep debating the same old s.hit with me.

You're opinion is never wrong is it.

One word.

PENNANT  :wwww
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 am

To be honest, we don't defend high enough up the pitch full stop. I thought Agger would improve this but I was mistaken. I mean it effects absolutely EVERYTHING else. The central midfielders end up having to drop too deep to cover the defenders. Then as the defence and central midfield are so deep it creates a massive gap between the midfield and attack, passing goes out the window because the options are too spread out and the end result is the midfield being bypassed with long hopefull balls up to the attack.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion