Lawrenson

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:20 pm

Mark Lawrenson has backed Liverpool to win the race with Everton to claim the fourth Champions League place for next season.
The Reds are five points behind their city rivals with twelve games left to play, but Lawrenson believes the Reds' extra quality and strength in numbers will see them eventually climb above David Moyes' men.

"In my career I experienced being the fox and the hound - the pacesetter and the chaser - and I have to say it's easier to chase," said the former Liverpool defender. "When you have a rival in front of you, instead of a points total, it's easier to focus on what needs to be done.

"For this reason as well as Liverpool's greater strength in depth I believe Liverpool will have enough about them to claim fourth place.

"Everton have been fantastic this season. They have such a strong spirit that means they simply do not give up and work so hard. Norwich and Southampton gave at least as good as they got in the last two games, but Everton still came out with four points.

"However this is the time of the season when your legs start to get tired and feel the strain of the matches so far. Suspensions can also begin to bite.

"Liverpool look as if they are getting stronger though and have more experience at competing for fourth place when the pressure is on than Everton.

"In a funny way, the decision to field a weakened team at Burnley - and the repercussions - has served as a catalyst to push the team on. Well, that and the arrival of Fernando Morientes, who has looked like a class act already.

"He is obviously good in the air, but there is so much more to his game than that. I have been especially impressed by the easy way he finds space. Although I'm not saying Morientes is as good as him - only a handful of players in the history of the game were - he does remind me of Kenny Dalglish in the way he does that and links the play. It is a knack that they both have.

"The fact Liverpool won and Everton drew at the weekend - with the gap coming down to five points - will have made the Everton lads look over their shoulder a bit harder this week. It's just human nature, no matter how focused you are.

Looking at the games both teams have from now on too, you would say that Everton have the harder run-in. Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal, as well as a trip to Anfield, will be difficult to get anything from, whereas Liverpool only have to play Arsenal and Middlesbrough from the top six.

"Of course, they also face trips to Birmingham and Newcastle before the derby. Daunting fixtures, but by no means unwinnable.

"So, 12 games to go, each one sure to be a battle. That means 36 points to be won or lost, enough to send one of the two Merseyside clubs to Europe's top table.

"Either one making it would be great for the city, but I feel it will be Liverpool settling down for their starters next season."
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:25 pm

Well, well, well. Mrs Hansen has finally said something possitive. I agree with him about the eperience thing. The Reds do know how this is done.
:)
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:27 pm

Whoa, he hasn't got wind has he? 

What will Gary, Alan, Peter and the boys say?
jonnymac1979

Postby 84-1106852058 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:43 pm

Its a pity he has said anything.How often does he get something right.Player=Great, Pundit=Pri.k.
84-1106852058

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:23 am

The Ace1983 wrote:Well, well, well. Mrs Hansen has finally said something possitive. I agree with him about the eperience thing. The Reds do know how this is done.
:)

So is Mark Lawrenson off the little boys and now getting into Alan Hansens' wifes knickers??

Well I never........................
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion