Latin players in the premiership

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mike72 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:02 pm

Is it just me who's a bit worried about us getting linked with long lists of Spanish, Argentinian players?  Latin players rarely do well in British football - look at Veron, before he came to England he was rated as one of the best players in the world, now there's not many teams that would touch him with a bargepole.  Players from Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina etc are not suited to English football (with the odd exception). Do we really want to spend all our transfer money on a load of players who will end up leaving for half the amount of money we paid for them within 2 seasons?

We need players that are familiar with the English style, players from the UK, Scandinavia, Holland, Australia, North America...players that can communicate well and that can produce a good team spirit.

Can you tell me a team like this wouldn't win us the Champions League?

Van Nistelrooy   Owen

Duff    Gerrard   Keane   Kewell

Helveg   Hyypia   Ferdinand    Mellberg

Niemi
mike72

Postby stapo1000 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:12 pm

boro seem to bring out the best in these type of players- juninho, mendietta, emerson...
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:16 pm

your right tho, the number of established players IN THE EPL from the nations youve mentioned IS Very small.
the best foreign players tend to come from france, germany and scandinavia
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:21 pm

World cup winners

Latin countries : 13
Rest of world: 4
------------------------
FIFA world player of the year last ten years

Latin countries: 9 winners
Rest of world: 1
------------------------
FIFA official vote for best player last millenium

8 latin players in top ten
2 from rest of the world
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:37 am

dont see your point banana- were talking abut latin players in the premier league
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:40 am

banana wrote:World cup winners

Latin countries : 13
Rest of world: 4
------------------------
FIFA world player of the year last ten years

Latin countries: 9 winners
Rest of world: 1
------------------------
FIFA official vote for best player last millenium

8 latin players in top ten
2 from rest of the world

latin teams have only won 12 world cups combined (brazil 5, argentina 2 and uruguay 2, italy 3) also in the past 10 fifa world player of the year awards only 7 have gone to latins, for your claims to be correct you have counted george weah as latin  :laugh:  :p
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:53 am

To name a few,
In Newcastle, I remember Asprilla was great. Now there is Solano.
In Arsenal, Silvinho wasn't that bad either. They have Edu now thats beginning to show well.
In Aston Villa, Pablo Angel is a proven lethal striker.
In Borough, Juninho was a master class midfielder with his samba flair.

Generally its how the approach play in the team. Liverpool has not had latin flavour but it may well prove to be what's missing.

Latin American players have always produced brillant players since Pele and Maradona. They have the 3R's, Arg's Aimar & Saviola and whole new bunch of Columbian youngster ready for the world stage.

Its with no doubt that the premiership has had success with some Latin Players. With a few odd failures like Crespo, it just shows that they were great players that just didn't adapt to the playing style of premier league.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:38 am

having a latin manger will help also.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:42 am

mike72 wrote:Can you tell me a team like this wouldn't win us the Champions League?

Van Nistelrooy   Owen

Duff    Gerrard   Keane   Kewell

Helveg   Hyypia   Ferdinand    Mellberg

Niemi

don't think that team would quite win the champions league, strong in most areas except the two fullbacks (Mellberg's preferred position is CB), who lack pace and would be found out against a side like Madrid with Figo and Beckham operating down the flanks. (although Owen and Van Nistelrooy would cause havoc for Reals CB's)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:00 am

i'll never ever include such dude player like ruud van nistelrooy and he'll only under my consideration after he packs his bag and out of devils.:blues:
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:33 am

I think the fact that Latin players haven't done well in England is more to do with the EPL than the players. Latin players are naturally skillful and usually light (Maradonna and Pelé weren't the biggest). The EPL as a league doesn't encourage the technical side of the game a much as the physical side. Just think when Christiano Ronaldo first came to the Premiership... he was doing his tricks and then Graham Stuart knobbled whim with a tackle and this was applauded by everyone. The Spanish League by comparsion is far more skillful where the small skillful players can shine (Aimar, Saviola). This lack of technical ability in the EPL is one of the major reason's the English national team eill never win a major competition as things stand because the lack the basic skill of beig able to keep possesion of the football, which means the other team can keep attacking.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:45 am

spot on there the south americans play a much slower pace of game due to the heat so they are much more gifted footballers in close control and pin point passing. if you look at the whole copa america tournament there are very few hard tackling cover every blade of grass kind of players and i think if we could find a midfielder who had the technical ability to turn defenses inside out then that would compliment the power and precision we have in steve. add to that cisse's ability and the constant threat both baros and owen will have on defenders i think we could take the title this season.

only one problem with that though is finding that man to partner steve as well as an out and out right winger.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:30 am

simic_ie wrote:I think the fact that Latin players haven't done well in England is more to do with the EPL than the players. Latin players are naturally skillful and usually light (Maradonna and Pelé weren't the biggest). The EPL as a league doesn't encourage the technical side of the game a much as the physical side.

I agree with your point about latin players being technically gifted but your inference that they cannot handle themselves in a physical league is way off the mark. Italy Spain and Argentina have produced some fearsome players over the years, players who could cut your legs off without a second thought.
My main gripe about latin players would be more about their propensity to spit and dive,it would seem that conning the ref is something they practice in training.  :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby blind » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:51 am

may be so but they are few and far between comared to the skillfull ones.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:56 am

Yes well its al very good them being able to take a beating physically but the EPL as a whole doesn't have the technical ability to get the best out these type of players.Yes, Argentina, Italy and Spain have players who could cut through you but they also have a fair greater proportion of players who could play as well. Teams in the EPL, for the most part, lack the abiltiy to keep the ball for more than 3 or 4 passes.... whick in turn means that these skillful players don't get the service they need to do their stuff. The point made above that the main type of players who succeed are Germans, Scandinavians, and French reinforces this belief. With the exeption of the French the other two wouldn't exactly set the worl alight in terms of technical ability... they ere just big strong players who are willing to dig deep and have a good spirit
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion