Latin players in the premiership

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:55 pm

simic_ie wrote:The point made above that the main type of players who succeed are Germans, Scandinavians, and French reinforces this belief. With the exeption of the French the other two wouldn't exactly set the worl alight in terms of technical ability... they ere just big strong players who are willing to dig deep and have a good spirit

Dangerously close to racial stereotyping .
And the "fearsome" latin players I was referring to also had bags of skill to compliment their physical game.
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:06 pm

Ah now woofwoof mate there is no need to bring the whole racial stereotyping thing into it... the majority of British players are the exact same... not the most technically brilliant in the world which is why imo Latin players.. who are technically gifted don't play to the top of there ability because there are not the players in the league  who are capable of aiding them to perfrom at this level.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:54 pm

simic_ie wrote:Ah now woofwoof mate there is no need to bring the whole racial stereotyping thing into it... the majority of British players are the exact same... not the most technically brilliant in the world which is why imo Latin players.. who are technically gifted don't play to the top of there ability because there are not the players in the league  who are capable of aiding them to perfrom at this level.

i agree with your views on this one simic. It is really about time the english game started introducing more skill and technique, we are miles behind the top continental teams in skill and technique, this is why english teams usually perform so badly in europe and why the national team is even worse!
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm

did anyone here that the foreign player rule is being reintroduced where a certain no. of english players must be named for every team in the premire lg and that this is to stp teams becoming more and more like chelsea...
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mike72 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:10 pm

With the exeption of the French the other two wouldn't exactly set the worl alight in terms of technical ability... they ere just big strong players who are willing to dig deep and have a good spirit

I have been watching football for over 25 years and there are very few players that I have seen that I would class as 'creative geniuses', maybe only a dozen or so.  And of those I would list Dalglish, Bergkamp, Litmanen, Gascoigne....all these players have one thing in common...they are all northern european players, 'big strong players who are willing to dig deep with a good spirit' :D
mike72

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:19 pm

yeah, if theres 1 player i wish we still had its jari litmanen. he was so creative in the trble season
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:13 pm

mike72 wrote:Can you tell me a team like this wouldn't win us the Champions League?

Van Nistelrooy   Owen

Duff    Gerrard   Keane   Kewell

Helveg   Hyypia   Ferdinand    Mellberg

Niemi

Yes I can categorically confirm this team would not win the Champions League
   :oh:    :Oo:  :grinning:  :D

Be serious with Ferdinand in defence ?  :D 
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:29 pm

stapo the jari story must haunt houllier , i gave up the ghost on houllier when he would not play a guy with such talent, what was going on id like to know:) :) :) :)
fritzylfc

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:45 pm

I DONT KNOW WHAT WAS UP WITH IT.SAME STORY LAST YEAR WITH BAROS AND HESKEY. I THINK GH WOULDNT DROP HESKEY OS OF HIS HIGH PRICE EVEN THO BAROS WAS OBVIOUSLY MORE TALENTED. ANYWAY, A NEW ERA HAS BEGUN AND RAFA IS GONNA GIVE EVERYONE A CHANCE
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:08 am

Successful latins in the EPL? Here are a few that i have some knowledge of...

Mendieta (he is Spanish not South American, can he be considered as Latin?) is a cracking right sided player - I wondered why we did not get him on loan, he was the driving force of Valencia during the Cuper reign

Gilberto Silva - very unspectacular Brazillian and hence not so noticed, I think he linked well with Viera and I think he was instrumental in the Brazillians' success in the 2002 WC; he even scored some goals (!), surely better than some of Liverpool's offensive midfielders who couldn't pass properly, let alone score and do some defending! I wouldn't mind having him at Liverpool.

Edu - not a regular at Arsenal but good player. Good in deab balls and is more spectacular than Gilberto Silva.

Juninho - I like this player, very skillful only not consistent and can be erratic and anonimous but overall a success in the EPL.

Generally, latin strikers are not so suited to the EPL as it is too physical for them and they do not get the time to do their best as the game is such a high tempo in the British Isles.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:59 am

The two argentinians that played for Spurs (Ardiles and Vila ) had no problem adjusting to the english game . I agree our game is played at a higher tempo than most others but some people are underestimating the physicality of some latin leagues. :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby begintoend » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:14 am

Maybe its how some of us knows about continental football and some that knows about european football.

There is this something extra gift that the latin have. They need to be physical as proven in the South American leagues. Though they prefer to play the beautiful game slowly, but they will show explosive pace when needed. Somthing english clubs may prove not able to cope with..... ???

Ever thought how successful are english players out of the premier league? :D
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:21 am

begintoend wrote:Maybe its how some of us knows about continental football and some that knows about european football.

??? Maybe it's just me but I don't understand this point.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby begintoend » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:33 am

Sorry ya...

Just feel that some of those are only aware of european football.

There's a minority that knows continental football which includes european football.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:56 am

begintoend wrote:Ever thought how successful are english players out of the premier league? :D

Yeah, there haven't been that many that you could consider a great success , but some have done well.
Lineker...........Barcelona
Gascoigne..........Lazio
Keegan ............Hamburg

There's also  Hoddle , Platt , Rush , Fairclough , Souness , Francis , Woodcock , Cunningham and Beckham but not sure how successful they were considered to be.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion