Kuyt : the workhorse - But is he anything else ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Mannyk » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:48 am

Bamaga man wrote:
Mannyk wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:You've highlighted my bit, but read on through the thread I havent " bagged " him once.

No direct comment at you Bamaga. In fact I don't think you have ever bagged a player

Just a general comment all round. You must admit Crouch cops a bit of flak  from the fans but still gets the job done . I'd almost call him the teams most consistant player.(my opinion)

Yes Crouch does cop a lot of flak, mostly because of the way he looks  :D

But he is a decent footballer, and one that offers difference to the rest of our strikers. He works hard (for the team) has a good touch, holds the ball up well. And chips in with his share of goals.

Of course there are aspects of his game that could be improved. But I have to admit that I'm really happy with the way he performs most weeks. I bet the poor b@stard gets some right stick from the terraces, he obviously has a good character which helps his football. Because, and I'd have to admit, I'd dread running out at somewhere like Old Trafford looking like him  :D

Now now don't judge a book by it's cover.

Unfortunately plastic surgery can only do so much.
Mannyk

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:48 pm

redmikey wrote:we need to get naill quin to come down and show him how to run on to a cross

Now that is a good idea....  :nod

Quinn wasn't particularly skillful but he knew how to play to his advantages and strengths....

Crouchie's done well since his move from Southampton but he'd definitely learn something from Niall....
ConnO'var

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Mannyk wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
Mannyk wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:You've highlighted my bit, but read on through the thread I havent " bagged " him once.

No direct comment at you Bamaga. In fact I don't think you have ever bagged a player

Just a general comment all round. You must admit Crouch cops a bit of flak  from the fans but still gets the job done . I'd almost call him the teams most consistant player.(my opinion)

Yes Crouch does cop a lot of flak, mostly because of the way he looks  :D

But he is a decent footballer, and one that offers difference to the rest of our strikers. He works hard (for the team) has a good touch, holds the ball up well. And chips in with his share of goals.

Of course there are aspects of his game that could be improved. But I have to admit that I'm really happy with the way he performs most weeks. I bet the poor b@stard gets some right stick from the terraces, he obviously has a good character which helps his football. Because, and I'd have to admit, I'd dread running out at somewhere like Old Trafford looking like him  :D

Now now don't judge a book by it's cover.

Unfortunately plastic surgery can only do so much.

:D  :D
ConnO'var

Postby Big Niall » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Crouch and Kuyt are both okay but when I was a kid and it was 0-0 you'd look to Ian Rush to score, a few years later Robbie Fowler, then Michael Owen.

Who do we have now that ranks up there with Rush/Fowler/Owen at their peak?

Oh - Aldo too (my favourite LFC player ever!)
Last edited by Big Niall on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:36 pm

Kuyt is our best striker.

The amount of work the lad gets through to support his strike-partner is astounding, and a lot of this is off the ball, hence off the screens.

Now I don't get to Anfield anywhere near as much as I'd like to, but it's so different to watching what the tv broadcast. They ball-watch (and rightly so, as that's where the action is), but by the same token, they miss the movements of players - the tactical changes that pass by without recognition.

In Kuyt's case, he tends to drop deep and bring a defender with him, thereby opening up acres of space for Bellamy to run into.

I'd guess that if you watch replays of Bellamy's goals where Kuyt has been his partner, you'll see this scenario play time and again.

Kuyt IS good enough to score 20 goals per season.

He offers other things aswell.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Graeme Noble » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Kuyt is our best striker.

The amount of work the lad gets through to support his strike-partner is astounding, and a lot of this is off the ball, hence off the screens.

Now I don't get to Anfield anywhere near as much as I'd like to, but it's so different to watching what the tv broadcast. They ball-watch (and rightly so, as that's where the action is), but by the same token, they miss the movements of players - the tactical changes that pass by without recognition.

In Kuyt's case, he tends to drop deep and bring a defender with him, thereby opening up acres of space for Bellamy to run into.

I'd guess that if you watch replays of Bellamy's goals where Kuyt has been his partner, you'll see this scenario play time and again.

Kuyt IS good enough to score 20 goals per season.

He offers other things aswell.

Very good post. Agree with most there.
Graeme Noble

Postby MASTER » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Peter Crouch was at spurs as a youngsterin the days of Sol Campbell and Redmikey,
Les Ferdinand who have to be 2 of the best headers of a ball in the last 10 years, so how would Niall Quinn help?

Just accept it Crouch wil never be a Shearer is Body type does not allow him to do it but Crouch can do things Alan Shearer could never have done like dribble the ball around 2 or 3 defenders and still make a good pass and he keeps the ball much better so it is better to concentrate on the things he IS good at.
MASTER

Postby LittleHobo » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:19 pm

i like what rafa has done though with his signings of strikers.......

no other team has our variation of strikers

one more poacher type would give us a great array of strikers.....

i would like defoe
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:22 pm

LittleHobo wrote:i like what rafa has done though with his signings of strikers.......

i would like defoe

I'd agree with most of that, not sure about the last part though.
66-1112520797

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:i like what rafa has done though with his signings of strikers.......

i would like defoe

I'd agree with most of that, not sure about the last part though.

yup.... I'd agree with most that too... except the last bit....  :D

Not too keen on Defoe.... over-rated in my book.... but that's another thread altogether....  :D
ConnO'var

Postby Novo » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Ithink Kuyt is a great player and he`s a good partner of Crouch in the area.The two are a different players however they are important.
Novo

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:45 am

Kuyt can score loads, as evident during his days at his previous club but he also works hard for the team and had a high number of assists.

He has shown his willingness to work his socks off for the team and perhaps due to the way he had to drop deep to receive the ball on so many occassions, he had not scored as many for us as he should be. He is a superb team player who can turn to to be like Theiry Henry - top striker for the club who also chips in with one of the top number of assists.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:10 am

As Martin Jol once said he's bang as many goal as he could assit
Elchris

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:24 am

Kuyt is a good player. He has shown enough already to suggest that he can become a Liverpool legend in time. My feeling is that those who are starting to lose faith in him will very likely be singing a different tune  when he starts to really play to his full potential. I think he's going to score and make lots of goals in a red shirt. Some new signings you aorry about but not him. A quality player and a steal at the money we paid.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:34 am

bigmick wrote:Kuyt is a good player. He has shown enough already to suggest that he can become a Liverpool legend in time. My feeling is that those who are starting to lose faith in him will very likely be singing a different tune  when he starts to really play to his full potential. I think he's going to score and make lots of goals in a red shirt. Some new signings you aorry about but not him. A quality player and a steal at the money we paid.

Good to see you back Mick - talking sense as usual.

Kuyt is a top player, no doubt. He will prove his doubters wrong.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion