Kuyt : the workhorse - But is he anything else ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby PabloAimar » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:09 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:GOALS SCORED PER GAME
Peter Crouch .41
Robbie Fowler .38
Dirk Kuyt .29
Craig Bellamy .26
Steven Gerrard MBE .23

His .29 goals a game is not what we would like but I believe it will get better. Shearer's record was a goal every 1.97 games. We need it to be closer to that.

thats a bit misleading for the kids who dont like maths... dont get scared...

shearer's GOALS SCORED PER GAME is 1 goal divided by 1.97 games = 0.51 goals per game ...ie. 1 goal every 2 games

...could we have a bit more consistency in data provided in future please... thanks.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:30 am

Bamaga man wrote:
I really dont like him and find myself hating it when he scores.

You've got issues that run deeper than this thread mate, if thats the case.

What I meant is people think he is a lot better than he is and scoring helps that along. My problem is with how many sitters he misses and his lack of ability in the air.

I hate him and the more he score the less likely he is to be sold.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:27 pm

Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
I really dont like him and find myself hating it when he scores.

You've got issues that run deeper than this thread mate, if thats the case.

What I meant is people think he is a lot better than he is and scoring helps that along. My problem is with how many sitters he misses and his lack of ability in the air.

I hate him and the more he score the less likely he is to be sold.

this means that you have no footballing brain what so ever !!!and the fact that you are capable of HATING him when he score makes you a complete and utter d!ck head who should go and follow the bitters cause they know jack sh!t about footy as well
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:47 pm

Simari wrote:IMO, what we are lacking is creativity in midfield / along the wings. Arsenal and Man U. have creative players in abundance in the final third. Chelsea have struck a good balance between creativity and solid defending.

But that's been the case for years at this club. We've been a club who haven't really played with out and out wingers since the days of Mcmanaman. Only recently have we got players in who are natural wide men but the jury is still out on them at this particular moment in time.

On Pennant and Gonzalez, I think that the reality of their ineffectiveness sometimes is due to the fact that we hardly have anyone in the box in the first place... running full speed down the wing would be absolutely pointless as we would be crossing just for the opposition keeper to collect.

Our least mobile forward i.e. Crouch, who would perhaps spend more time in the box compared to Bellamy and Kuyt, would do great if he could actually head in a direction AWAY from the keeper. Due to such inherent problems, you can hardly blame our wingers from cutting in because there is no one to cross to.

What does let us down though is the productivity we have from wide areas. Pennant and Gonzalez offer little if any goal threat whatsoever. People always whinged about Gerrard playing wide right even though he was a constant goal threat from that position. At Manure, Ronaldo has already scored 13 goals this season from wide areas. Giggs will probably reach double figure. The same for Robben at Chelsea. Garcia would score double figure for us but he's out for the season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Mannyk » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:54 pm

A.B. wrote:Kuyt is everything that Crouch isn't. He has a better first touch, better vision, better distribution of the ball, more strength, overall more ability.

Granted Crouch has scored more goals than Kuyt in all competitions [Kuyt has scored more in the Premiership].

HOWEVER Cisse scored more goals than any of our other strikers last year and he wasn't our best striker by any means.

And infact he shouldnt be needed or asked to do that to the extent he's not finding goal scoring opportunities, when you have players behind him like Gerrard and Alonso who can link up midfield to attack, thats not the concern in my mind. Scoring goals is.

Give Rafa a ring and tell him that.  :laugh:

Yeah ok we all know Crouch is awkward . so lets just get rid of him.

I don't really care if he plays with no legs . If he scores and we win he's good.

We got to stop bagging our players especially some one like Crouch who plays with his heart and gets away with it.
Mannyk

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:02 pm

You've highlighted my bit, but read on through the thread I havent " bagged " him once.
66-1112520797

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:43 pm

Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:Kuyt and Bellamy all the way, I'd even have Fowler ahead of crouch. sure he has scored goals but he has missed sitters and cost us points also.

His main benifit is in the air, oh wait a minute its not, he cant head to save his life, he has no pace, and it takes him 2 or three touches to bring the ball down to the ground. I really dont like him and find myself hating it when he scores.

Kuyt and Bellamy all the way.

Absolutely ridiculous post.

Crouch can't head a ball to save his life? How many times do i have to read this? It's bollox. Another one of these 'jump on the bandwagon' facts that get bandied around this board and the media. Granted he isn't the greatest header of a ball but to say he can't head is simply ignorant. I don't know the stats but how many goals did Crouch score with his head last season? Quite a few i'll bet. How many of his flicks, head-backs and nod-downs have created goals or goal-scoring opportunities? FA Cup Final anyone?

It takes him 2 or 3 touches to bring the ball down? More often than not the ball is absolutely pinged into him and it doesn't matter whether it's knee, shin or chest height, he normally deals with it.

'I really don't like him and find myself hating it when he scores', I've heard it all now, that's the biggest crock of sh.i.t i've ever heard. It's 0-0, Crouch scores to make it 1-0 and you hate it? Unbelievable  :veryangry
Last edited by Scottbot on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:Kuyt and Bellamy all the way, I'd even have Fowler ahead of crouch. sure he has scored goals but he has missed sitters and cost us points also.

His main benifit is in the air, oh wait a minute its not, he cant head to save his life, he has no pace, and it takes him 2 or three touches to bring the ball down to the ground. I really dont like him and find myself hating it when he scores.

Kuyt and Bellamy all the way.

Absolutely ridiculous post.

Crouch can't head a ball to save his life? How many times do i have to read this? It's bollox. Another one of these 'jump on the bandwagon' facts that get bandied around this board and the media. Granted he isn't the greatest header of a ball but to say he can't head is simply ignorant. I don't know the stats but how many goals did Crouch score with his head last season? Quite a few i'll bet. How many of his flicks, head-backs and nod-downs have created goals or goal-scoring opportunities? FA Cup Final anyone?

It takes him 2 or 3 touches to bring the ball down? More often than not the ball is absolutely pinged into him and it doesn't matter whether it's knee, shin or chest height, he normally deals with it.

'I really don't like him and find myself hating it when he scores', I've heard it all now, that's the biggest crock of sh.i.t i've ever heard. It's 0-0, Crouch scores to make it 1-0 and you hate it? Unbelievable  :veryangry

i suspect he wasn't breast fed as a young babe
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:37 pm

Scottbot wrote:'I really don't like him and find myself hating it when he scores', I've heard it all now, that's the biggest crock of sh.i.t i've ever heard. It's 0-0, Crouch scores to make it 1-0 and you hate it? Unbelievable  :veryangry

Yer, I'll be f.ucked right off if he scores us the winner against Chelsea on Saturday! :kungfu:  WTF? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Graeme Noble » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:46 pm

Crouch can head the ball, the only problem when he has good heading opportunities he is too tame, needs to execute more power into it. Kuyt in my opinion is our best striker, work rate is phenominal but he also has quality. Remember his quality finishes against Spurs and Villa. Also he seems to have great passion for us, the F.A. cup game, he seemed like the only player that truly cared (I know that isn't the case, but he had true spirit there). Bellamy is a great partner for him up front, and Crouch on the bench coming on to win some late headers.
Its a shame things haven't worked out for Fowler, but unfortunately, as much as I like him, he isn't good enough to be in the Starting 11.
Graeme Noble

Postby Mannyk » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:21 pm

Bamaga man wrote:You've highlighted my bit, but read on through the thread I havent " bagged " him once.

No direct comment at you Bamaga. In fact I don't think you have ever bagged a player

Just a general comment all round. You must admit Crouch cops a bit of flak  from the fans but still gets the job done . I'd almost call him the teams most consistant player.(my opinion)
Mannyk

Postby redmikey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:29 pm

one of crouches few faults imo is that he dosn't time his runs into the box very well, you rarly see he coming on to a cross as he dosn't need to leap to beat people in the air, which leaves him static and unable to generate the power

we need to get naill quin to come down and show him how to run on to a cross
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Mannyk wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:You've highlighted my bit, but read on through the thread I havent " bagged " him once.

No direct comment at you Bamaga. In fact I don't think you have ever bagged a player

Just a general comment all round. You must admit Crouch cops a bit of flak  from the fans but still gets the job done . I'd almost call him the teams most consistant player.(my opinion)

Yes Crouch does cop a lot of flak, mostly because of the way he looks  :D

But he is a decent footballer, and one that offers difference to the rest of our strikers. He works hard (for the team) has a good touch, holds the ball up well. And chips in with his share of goals.

Of course there are aspects of his game that could be improved. But I have to admit that I'm really happy with the way he performs most weeks. I bet the poor b@stard gets some right stick from the terraces, he obviously has a good character which helps his football. Because, and I'd have to admit, I'd dread running out at somewhere like Old Trafford looking like him  :D
66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:41 pm

I think he has all the ingredients to be a real legend, in the Dalglish mold. At the moment he is very involved working for the team, this somewhat restricts the chances he has, as he adapts more and the team improve etc he will get more and more chances and score more goals. For me I don't think we've seen even half of what he is capable of, that's not a criticism.

Probably be slated for this, but I think Michael Owen would be the perfect foil for him on the playing field - or that style of player anyway. Dirk and David Villa would be ace. They could bring out charity records at Christmas to take a break from destroying defences, maybe even solve a few crimes on non-matchdays. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jkop » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:12 pm

3_01_33_6 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:So is your mum then.

:p

Behave yourself lousy scouser

Wind up merchant !
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!