Kuyt : the workhorse - But is he anything else ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby puroresu » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:57 am

Kuyt is very good.  Like Morientes, Kuyt is asked to do a lot of stuff which doesn’t get the best out of him.  i.e. drop very deep, playing with back to goal.  Kuyt will always do his fair share of work but playing like that he won’t score the goals his workrate deserves.
puroresu

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:00 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
dawson99 wrote:Kuyt is not ineffective, he does a lot against the defence to give others more space. and he is like an extra midfielder when he is running after the ball

Agreed, but thats what I'm getting at. I'm not saying he's ineffective, but I think he should apply himself more in the 18 yard box instead of helping the midfield out 70% of the time.

I said the exact same thing about crouch last season. said he should score more not be there to hold up play, thats the midfields job...

a striker nowadays tho isnt there just to score, muchas  wed like it if they were
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:02 pm

puroresu wrote:Kuyt is very good.  Like Morientes, Kuyt is asked to do a lot of stuff which doesn’t get the best out of him.  i.e. drop very deep, playing with back to goal.  Kuyt will always do his fair share of work but playing like that he won’t score the goals his workrate deserves.

Agreed.
66-1112520797

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:12 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
puroresu wrote:Kuyt is very good.  Like Morientes, Kuyt is asked to do a lot of stuff which doesn’t get the best out of him.  i.e. drop very deep, playing with back to goal.  Kuyt will always do his fair share of work but playing like that he won’t score the goals his workrate deserves.

Agreed.

I think that is spot on also, he is unselfishly doing a job for the team, one the manager will be instructing him to do.
I think it was Reading at home where he scored 2, and they were proper strikers goals, he definately could be that kind of player but due to his strengh, tireless running and awareness to link attack and midfield, rafa instructs him to drop deep.
He is a great buy and easily capable of hitting 20 goals.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:23 pm

i'm not a mind reader but i'm guessing that kuyt is playing in exactly the way that the manager is asking him to, otherwise he wouldn't be getting picked so much. we all know that benitez picks players on how well they perform in the system he specifies and he knows that kuyt works very hard for the team and will chip in with his fair share of goals. no problem as far as i'm concerned - i don't have him in any of my fantasy football teams and league goals are not in short supply for us at the moment.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:23 pm

babu wrote:Whoa Bamaga man, didn't you take your pills today?  {jokes}

I don't believe Kuyt will be a 20+ striker, at least not with this current squad. Then again i am not sure many predicted he would be. Out of the strikers we have, when we play 2 upfront i would always want one of them to be Kuyt.

He is just works a lot harder and is always looking to create something. We do however need all-out traditional striker. One that is super selfish and super clinical in front of goal. Don't any of our strikers (excepting Fowler) fits that bill.

You were not trying to bag Kuyt, but i would like to say anyway that he is a fine addition to the squad and one of our better signings recently.

I definitely think he has the potential to be a 20+ goals a season striker. Its all about his application on the field. He offers so much in the way of midfield support but sometimes I wish he would be more selfish in front of goal.

I have a £15 bet with a mate that he will get 15+ goals this season, the way I see it is its half way through the season and he's half way there.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:35 pm

puroresu wrote:Kuyt is asked to do a lot of stuff which doesn’t get the best out of him.  i.e. drop very deep, playing with back to goal.  .

Don't get me wrong, but what you say there is a classic wind-up. You state as fact, something minor, that you can't possibly know, then base conclusions on it.

It worries me that you do that.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:03 pm

babu wrote:
puroresu wrote:Kuyt is asked to do a lot of stuff which doesn’t get the best out of him.  i.e. drop very deep, playing with back to goal.  .

Don't get me wrong, but what you say there is a classic wind-up. You state as fact, something minor, that you can't possibly know, then base conclusions on it.

Im just making comparisons to how he played at Feynoord till how he plays at Liverpool.
puroresu

Postby crouchaldinho » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:05 pm

I can appreciate where you're coming from, but i think that the game has changed a lot in recent years, and strikers are now expected to drop a bit deeper and link up play a bit more than they used to be. I think this is probably one of the main reasons that we see a lot more goalscoring midfielders these days. The fact that a striker is dropping a bit deeper sometimes pulls defenders out of position which opens up space for marauding runs into the box from the likes of Gerrard.

Dont get me wrong, i know that even in days of old midfielders scored goals, but i would say its a lot more commonplace in recent seasons - for example, the two most highly rated midfielders in the country (Gerrard & Fat Frank from chavski) scored over 40 goals between them in all competitions last season. I think that illustrates my point to a certain extent
crouchaldinho

Postby puroresu » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:26 pm

crouchaldinho wrote:I can appreciate where you're coming from, but i think that the game has changed a lot in recent years, and strikers are now expected to drop a bit deeper and link up play a bit more than they used to be. I think this is probably one of the main reasons that we see a lot more goalscoring midfielders these days. The fact that a striker is dropping a bit deeper sometimes pulls defenders out of position which opens up space for marauding runs into the box from the likes of Gerrard.

Dont get me wrong, i know that even in days of old midfielders scored goals, but i would say its a lot more commonplace in recent seasons - for example, the two most highly rated midfielders in the country (Gerrard & Fat Frank from chavski) scored over 40 goals between them in all competitions last season. I think that illustrates my point to a certain extent

Agreed. But look at someone like Drogba.  The fact he isnt stuck up front on his own now having to do a lot of work for others has meant he can now get into positions to score more goals.
puroresu

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:35 pm

but he has essien and makelele behind him who both play out of there skin, and they only really play one up front
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:36 pm

I think if Kuyt played more selfish then he is definatly a 20 goal a season striker. I suppose it depends on what Rafa asks him to do. Wayne Rooney don't score that often but he is crucial to uniteds success.
ALONSO

Postby babu » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:54 pm

dawson99 wrote:but he has essien and makelele behind him who both play out of there skin, and they only really play one up front

he is in a bit of a purple patch this season as well, he is converting more of his chances, i reckon.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FRfanatic » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:14 pm

puroresu wrote:
babu wrote:

Im just making comparisons to how he played at Feynoord till how he plays at Liverpool.

IMO he's still getting settled.
Do not forget he's only human after all, changing clubs, father sick and wife pregnant. Firts year at Feyenoord was also like that. Once settled he will be the one to watch. Mark my words that next season he will be one of the top players in the Premiership. (at least 15+ goals and even more assists)

The fact that he is everywhere on the pitch has also got to do with the fact that the whole team is still not at its best. Kuyt is a perfectionist and a team player, hates it when he is not playing, hates losing. Therefore he trying (too) much to help out where he can.

P.S. forgive me that I am a little bit colourblind  :love:
FRfanatic

Postby Simari » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:46 pm

A quick look at the premiership top scorers shows Kuyt as Liverpool's top goalscorer. Sure he should score more, but he already is the top league goalscorer for our club and does all the wonderful things we want a  striker to do. He is not Didier Drogba by any means, but then again - it's not likely that we will SPEND that sort of money on a striker anytime soon.

Having said that, there is something about Cisse and Kuyt in their previous seasons prior to Liverpool that struck me as a bit odd. In their respective leagues, both of them were finishing in different ways - lobs, placed shots, power shots(ie. blasting)  etc.

For some reason, in the premiership - both of them seem to be content simply blasting the ball at the net (In Cisse's case, was content :)). Perhaps that is just down to lack of confidence in front of goal, but I'm not convinced.

Edit: For what it's worth, Kuyt has been an excellent acquisition for the club. He's slotted seamlessly into the link-up play and is constantly moving all around the pitch. Unlike Morientes, he does venture into the penalty area quite often !! :)
Last edited by Simari on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simari
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion