Kuyt : the workhorse - But is he anything else ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:41 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:Kuyt is a good player. He has shown enough already to suggest that he can become a Liverpool legend in time. My feeling is that those who are starting to lose faith in him will very likely be singing a different tune  when he starts to really play to his full potential. I think he's going to score and make lots of goals in a red shirt. Some new signings you aorry about but not him. A quality player and a steal at the money we paid.

Good to see you back Mick - talking sense as usual.

Kuyt is a top player, no doubt. He will prove his doubters wrong.

I dont think many are doubting him.

I've pointed that he's a very good player and probably our best summer signing. He gets through a lot of work, no doubt there. And Rafa's obviously happy. But I'd like to see him play as an orthodox striker in the vein that he's sniffing out for goals more. His dropping off the front line to help out the midfield at times can leave his partner stranded, and a lot of the times he hasnt been on hand to sniff out a goal because he's to deep.
66-1112520797

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:55 am

Bamaga man wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:Kuyt is a good player. He has shown enough already to suggest that he can become a Liverpool legend in time. My feeling is that those who are starting to lose faith in him will very likely be singing a different tune  when he starts to really play to his full potential. I think he's going to score and make lots of goals in a red shirt. Some new signings you aorry about but not him. A quality player and a steal at the money we paid.

I've pointed that he's a very good player and probably our best summer signing. He gets through a lot of work, no doubt there. And Rafa's obviously happy. But I'd like to see him play as an orthodox striker in the vein that he's sniffing out for goals more. His dropping off the front line to help out the midfield at times can leave his partner stranded, and a lot of the times he hasnt been on hand to sniff out a goal because he's to deep.

I know what you're saying mate.

Fact is - he's able to play both styles, and as he's the only one who can drop deep as he does, he's "taking one for the team" I feel.
The absence of Kewell hinders Dirk aswell, as virtually everything comes from the right, which is, obviously, halving the supply to our front men. Even with Gonzo/Luis/Riise there - it's a weak point in our team as far as creativity and balance goes.

Depending on who replaces God at the end of the current campaign, and who occupies our left wing, we could see a LOT more goals from Mr Kuyt next season IMHO.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:58 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:

Fact is - he's able to play both styles, and as he's the only one who can drop deep as he does, he's "taking one for the team" I feel.
The absence of Kewell hinders Dirk aswell, as virtually everything comes from the right, which is, obviously, halving the supply to our front men. Even with Gonzo/Luis/Riise there - it's a weak point in our team as far as creativity and balance goes.

Depending on who replaces God at the end of the current campaign, and who occupies our left wing, we could see a LOT more goals from Mr Kuyt next season IMHO.

Agreed  :nod
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:00 am

:bump
66-1112520797

Postby heimdall » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:44 am

Bamaga man wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:

Agreed  :nod

I certainly hope so, I do like Dirk and really want him to surprise me with a load of goals this season but I don't think it will happen. I think the more effective partnership will be Voronin and Torres.
heimdall

Postby RedBlood » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:10 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:

'' and they call it puppy love uhhh uhhh uhhhhhhhh''
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby scouser 'til I die » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:57 pm

KUYT HAS SIGHTS ON FOWLER'S BOOTS
Jimmy Rice 08 August 2007

Dirk Kuyt has spoken of his determination to follow in the footsteps of Kop legend Robbie Fowler by becoming the club's number one marksman.
The Dutchman was a recognised 20 goal a season man during his Feyenoord days, and while his tally of 14 during his first year in England is more than respectable, he feels the Premier League has yet to see the best of Kuyt.

"I'm sure I will get better this season," said the 27-year-old. "Last year I didn't have a full pre-season or know the rest of the lads or the club so well. Now I'm more settled and any difficulties when starting at a new club are behind me. I can focus 100 per cent on my football and I have a good feeling about this season.

"Players like Robbie and Michael Owen are known as some of the best strikers Liverpool has ever had and it's good for me to be able to have the chance to join those names. I want to be seen as a Liverpool goalscorer, and now I can't wait to show it.

"I scored a lot of goals in Holland, but England is totally different because it's so much more difficult. I believe I can do here what I did in Holland, but I also think I can do more for the team than just score goals. It's important for me to do whatever job is asked, working hard or making assists.

"Last season was different for me, getting used to different partners in attack and also playing against better defenders. The Premier League has some of the best defenders in the world and you need to get used to that, but I'm looking forward to this season even more than last.

"Andriy and Fernando are different strikers to Robbie Fowler and Bellamy, so I may play in a different role. Fernando likes to come deeper for the ball, so if I play alongside him there's the chance for me to play higher up the park, which I enjoy.

"That's more how I was used to playing with Feyenoord. It all depends who I play alongside, of course, but what's most important is to play, win the games and help as many players as possible to score goals."

Kuyt's lack of goals in pre-season was partly down to the officials not seeing his perfectly valid effort cross the line against Feyenoord on Sunday.

"I thought it was a great goal," he added. "But then I looked to the side and saw the referee and linesman didn't have a good view.

"It was disappointing it didn't count, but it's better for that to happen now than in a few weeks.

"I didn't have a lot of luck in pre-season. I feel really sharp and think I've been playing well and getting into good positions, but at times I've been unfortunate.

"In the game against Portsmouth in Hong Kong I came up against David James making a lot of good saves. Maybe I'm keeping the goals for the real competition. I'm sure the goals will come.

"Pre-season is important, but it's all about the game against Aston Villa, so I'd rather score and win that match than score in the practice games."

Source

Lets hope he sticks to his word and bang in the goal for us this season

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby grayghost » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:28 pm

He has the heart the determanation but only half the talent this will be his last season
grayghost

Postby YAWL » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:34 pm

I must admit I'm not the biggest Kuyt fan.  Having said that it's hard not to like the guy who works his socks off and puts in so much effort.  However I think most of his game is effort and he lacks that class, which is needed for top clubs.

For me I can't see how people can rate Kuyt higher than Crouch.  Crouch offers the team so much when he plays, has a better touch, holds up the ball better, scored more goals despite playing less and his general pressence makes him such a threat.
YAWL

Postby RedBlood » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:40 pm

crouch scores more goals because he plays higher up the pitch and therefore gets into more goalscoring positions

kuyt is a great player with an amazing attitude, some people question his ability whitch for me is a joke, he is a very good player!! end of :angry:
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:41 pm

i think we'll see kuyt score a fair few more goals this season than last. he'll play further up the pitch and hes getting his eye in the premiership
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby YAWL » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:47 pm

RedBlood wrote:crouch scores more goals because he plays higher up the pitch and therefore gets into more goalscoring positions

kuyt is a great player with an amazing attitude, some people question his ability whitch for me is a joke, he is a very good player!! end of :angry:

Wo wo wo.

I have never said Kuyt isn't a good player.  I know he is and I agree he has some very valuable assets such as his movement, work rate and power.

However in my opinion (I hope I'm entitled to that), I think Crouch offers more to the team.  He showed last season he is a better finisher than Kuyt.  Kuyt missed some chances last season, not to mention this pre season.  However that is not to say he's a bad finisher, I just rate Crouch higher.

I agree with your point about Kuyt playing deeper.  Personally I hope this doesn't happen again.  For me if Kuyt players it should be higher up the field.  He doesn't have the touch and creation to play that supporting role.
YAWL

Postby KRobbo10 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:54 pm

I think if Rafa lets Kuyt lead the lines this season by letting sit on the shoulders of the last defender, he will score goals for fun.

Kuyt is probably the best finisher out of the 4 strikers we have very rarely misses the target.
KRobbo10

Postby RedBlood » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:59 pm

YAWL wrote:
RedBlood wrote:crouch scores more goals because he plays higher up the pitch and therefore gets into more goalscoring positions

Wo wo wo.

I have never said Kuyt isn't a good player.  I know he is and I agree he has some very valuable assets such as his movement, work rate and power.

However in my opinion (I hope I'm entitled to that), I think Crouch offers more to the team.  He showed last season he is a better finisher than Kuyt.  Kuyt missed some chances last season, not to mention this pre season.  However that is not to say he's a bad finisher, I just rate Crouch higher.

I agree with your point about Kuyt playing deeper.  Personally I hope this doesn't happen again.  For me if Kuyt players it should be higher up the field.  He doesn't have the touch and creation to play that supporting role.

fair enough but if you look at last season crouch missed some shocking chances

im not trying to put crouch down because i rate him very highly its more tyring to defend kuyt another player i rate very highly

and i really do believe kuyt has a good touch (not great) but not enough to complain about and he has very good vision, look at some of his assists last seaon
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby YAWL » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:05 pm

I agree about Kuyt's assists.

Crouch also should get praise for that as well.  The season before last when used far more he got Gerrard a lot of assists, in a season where the team were struggling more for goals.

Disagree with Robbo that Kuyt's our best finisher, but it's a game of opinions and that's what we like. :D
YAWL

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion