Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Kuyt or crouch

Kuyt
63%
Crouch
37%

Total votes : 60

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:07 am

I agree that Kuyt had a decent return last season, but a decent return alone is not good enough.

As you say, we'll see at the end of the season. I'm not holding my breath.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:15 am

Bamaga man wrote:Timbuktu - Australia ?

Two different places mate.

It just goes to show even the Anfield faithful call it wrong a 'cracking player in terms of goal threat'. Next time you go make sure your vision isnt impaired by the bloke infront of you.

It's called figure of speech, have you not the sagacity to discern even the most basic form of hyperbole?

Perhaps not seeing as you are unable to distinguish between 'their' and 'there'.

Back to school, thank you.

Those 'Anfield faithful' don't call it wrong, they offer an opinion.

People will dispute opinions until the cows come home, it's called debate.

I am not in a minority to consider Kuyt a cracking player, far from it, many fans have expressed their liking for Kuyt and don't see him solely as a one trick pony.

Maybe you should get to games more.
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:48 am

Hmmm sounds familiar, is that your own idea about the 'you should get to more games' or someone elses ?
The ultimate put down isnt it, when you consider yourself loosing an arguement. I've been to Anfield recently nah nah, f.ucking pathetic,grow up.   :sleep

Why do you always manage to turn your petty squables around into an "English/spelling" debate. Is it because your limited with football or what ?
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:02 am

wow LFC2007 in 'up his own @rse' shocker   :D
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:27 am

peewee wrote:wow LFC2007 in 'up his own @rse' shocker   :D

Yep he's back, to ruin as many threads as he can.  :glare:
66-1112520797

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:47 am

kuyt is playing better this season SO FAR. but then crouch hasnt exactly got a chance to impress at all. given the choice to choose between the crouch or kuyt, i would pick voronin.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:19 am

Hmmm, the question was "Crouch or Kuyt ?", followed by 3 pages of how inadequate Kuyt is and who goes to more games, surprise surprise  :( .

My view is that although neither of them are the perfect package they both deserve a little more credit than that being currently expressed in this thread . observations such as "Crouch can hold up a ball and nothing else" and "Kuyt is just a workhorse" are pretty banal . I don't agree with LFC2007 on many things but his observation that some on here have "selective memories" rings pretty true . Crouch is capable of much more than just holding up the ball as anyone who reviews his performances last season will see. As for Kuyt "the workhorse", I seem remember that Kevin Keegans name was always linked to his "workrate" rather than his ability and he became one of Lfc's legends.

I'm happy with the pair of them although in line with many I'd welcome a few more goals from them , as soon as that happens I'm sure we'll have a flood of equally banal "how brilliant they are" posts in here.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:22 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:kuyt is playing better this season SO FAR. but then crouch hasnt exactly got a chance to impress at all. given the choice to choose between the crouch or kuyt, i would pick voronin.

:D
ConnO'var

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:29 am

Seeing as the vote is between Crouch and Kuyt and no others.... I'd pick Kuyt.

Not because I think he's a great striker necessarily but because the way Crouch has been playing recently when given the chance has been deeply disappointing. I've always felt that he's great when he starts but offers less when he comes off the bench.

But on current form, it has to be Kuyt for me.

Andrei "peace be upon you" Voronin should be a given a shot in the league as well. His performances in the friendlies and in the Champions League have earned him the opportunity IMO... Shouldn't be too much of a risk against the lesser lights.

I think Kuyt has a lot to his game but is so used to being deployed so deep that he's forgotten how to play further upfield. Should be given a chance to play further up and the way to do this and STILL keep to Rafa's defensive wants, is to play 3 central midfielders methinks.
ConnO'var

Postby LFC1982 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:30 am

I like both players, but to chose our best two strikers it would be Torres with Kuyt, I think Kuyt works harder and compliments Torres better than Crouch would be able to.  I agree with a lot of the earlier comments with regards to him not being high enough up the pitch, not taking the oppurtunities that fall to him, but I think with the more games he plays with Torres and as the understanding they develop I can see him getting 15 league goals this year.
LFC1982

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:33 am

ConnO'var wrote:Andrei "peace be upon you" Voronin

:laugh:

nice one
maypaxvobiscum

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:50 am

Well I a bit like Woof, quite like them both. That said, this is probably going to be a pivotal year in the careers of both players. In twenty years time when they are being featured in one of those annoying "where are they now" articles, they will both probably say that this coming season defined them as footballers.

Kuyt for all that he has talent, needs to do more to hold down a starting spot at a top four club. Good strikers provide goal threat, either from themselves in actually scoring a goal or from others in playing them in. They either take the Rush or the Bergkamp path, with the very best of them taking the Dalglish or the Henri route to greatness. It's a myth about front players that some "fox in the box" types are not seen throughout the game then pop up with a goal. The reality is of course that to score regularly, you have to regularly put yourself in positions where you are likely to score, namely get yourself open in the box. This particularly applies if like Kuyt you don't have searing pace, leg platting skill or fantastic strength. Even with fantastic service, you will not score regularly unless you get yourself open in the box.

Crouch has overcome the "he'll never make it at a bigger club than Southampton" tag once and for all. Clearly he was an absolutely inspired buy at 7 million, but the doubts remain over whether he can finally make the step up to being a truly international class striker. Like Kuyt, he is devoid of pace, and although his touch would be superior he doesn't posess the Dutchmans lung power. He is though very similar to Kuyt in that he doesn't get open enough to score heavily, although he is probably better at it than his rival.

I guess the question is, will either of them ever truly be good enough? My hunch is that Rafa is calling it right by going with Kuyt and hopefully sticking with him. If last seasons selectorial farce proved anything it was that when a striker is in form, you can't sit him down and then stand him up three games later and expect to see him prosper. Similarly, strikers more than most need games to get into the swing of it. As long as it is being made clear to Kuyt that all the tracking back in the World won't compensate for a lack of goal threat, I think he should be given a dozen games or so. My feeling is that he'll prosper, but if he doesn't then Crouch uis fully entitled to get an equal opportunity to show what he can do.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:09 am

. I don't agree with LFC2007 on many things but his observation that some on here have "selective memories" rings pretty true

Please elaborate
66-1112520797

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:27 am

bigmick wrote:As long as it is being made clear to Kuyt that all the tracking back in the World won't compensate for a lack of goal threat,

And there's the rub .

Accepting that Kuyt  possess little by way of pace AND assuming that Rafa wants him to track back (why else would he do it ?) how does Kuyt get himself up field quick enough to present more of a goal threat ?

Rafa has stated on more than one occasion that he's happy to see goals come from throughout the team NOT just one or two players.

Whilst we get vexed over the lack of goals from our strikers, Rafa is quite happy provided they play to his plan and we win regardless of who sticks it in the net.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:32 am

Bamaga man wrote:
. I don't agree with LFC2007 on many things but his observation that some on here have "selective memories" rings pretty true

Please elaborate

Read the thread , watch re-runs of last seasons games and then see (for example) if you agree with those who apparently think all Crouch is good for is "holding up a ball".

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion