Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Kuyt or crouch

Kuyt
63%
Crouch
37%

Total votes : 60

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:28 am

AB's Red Army wrote:Cracking player in terms of what exactly?

He's not a huge threat to the defenders he's up against. He can be easily contained and at times he becomes just an extra man in midfield, instead a threat in the box. He can trap a ball and shield a ball very well.

Carlos Tevez is a cracking player in every sense of the world. Dirk Kuyt is hard-working man on the pitch who isn't dangerous enough to the opposition.

We spent 9-11 million on Dirk [can't recall the exact price], and from what I've seen of him he's not worth that money.

I'd kill for a player like Anelka who knows how to open up back fours, whether it be with:

1. his movement on and off the ball
2. or his link up and passes to his team mates around the box.

He cost Bolton 8 million quid and imo is far a better value for money than Dirk has been so far.

Hell I'd even take Benny McCarthy over Dirk, who was absolutely fantastic last season. 2.5 million signing by Hughes, and the signing of the season imo last year.

Scored 15 goals in the league in his first season, and scored 20 goals or more in all.

A cracking player in terms of creative awareness, defensive awareness, team play, movement off the ball, strength in holding up the ball, timing of his passing, a goal threat, a dogged determined attitude, link up play.....

He is a threat in the box, perhaps you didn't see the goals he scored last season but most came from inside the box - with a few being poacher like. He just needs to do more of it.

For the money we have paid, he has been more than worth it IMO. If you want to analyse it like that then I suggest you compare his first season with Schevchenko's first season and see who comes out on top for value for money.

I would cringe if we signed Benni Mccarthy, and Anelka, well he's quality but we've signed Torres who looks more than adept.

Carlos Tevez is also a cracking player, but they are very different players. You need a balance up front, I believe we now have that balance.

...will reply later
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:42 am

I can not believe the hype surrounding him during the summer we signed him

Same here
66-1112520797

Postby weringo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:46 am

LFC2007 wrote:

He's not a huge threat to the defenders he's up against. He can be easily contained and at times he becomes just an extra man in midfield, instead a threat in the box. He can trap a ball and shield a ball very well.

Carlos Tevez is a cracking player in every sense of the world. Dirk Kuyt is hard-working man on the pitch who isn't dangerous enough to the opposition.

We spent 9-11 million on Dirk [can't recall the exact price], and from what I've seen of him he's not worth that money.

I'd kill for a player like Anelka who knows how to open up back fours, whether it be with:

He cost Bolton 8 million quid and imo is far a better value for money than Dirk has been so far.

Hell I'd even take Benny McCarthy over Dirk, who was absolutely fantastic last season. 2.5 million signing by Hughes, and the signing of the season imo last year.

Scored 15 goals in the league in his first season, and scored 20 goals or more in all.

A cracking player in terms of creative awareness, defensive awareness, team play, movement off the ball, strength in holding up the ball, timing of his passing, a goal threat, a dogged determined attitude, link up play.....

Sorry LFC but I just don't buy it, Kuyt in my eyes will never be more than a hard-worker with average ability on the ball. I acknowledge he does have good movement off the ball that often goes unnoticed but I would prefer to see more than just that from him. He can get us 15+ goals a season but then again so could Cisse.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:47 am

His movement off the ball is average. Which is why at times he's late to get on the end of things, or doesn't get himself into the position to score.

His finishing is anything but cracking. [on consistent basis] and the same can be said for his creativity. He's average in vast areas that you've mentioned.

Good team player, hard-worker, not a cracking footballer. Perhaps your definition of ''cracking'' is different from mines, but Kuyt doesn't fall into that category. He's a work horse with a decent amount of ability.

He is a threat in the box, perhaps you didn't see the goals he scored last season but most came from inside the box - with a few being poacher like. He just needs to do more of it.

I've seen the vast majority of the games in where he scored. He isn't a consistent goal threat in the box. He isn't a nuisance to defenders consistently.

The keyword is consistency. I cringe every time I see him arriving late in the box or not getting himself into a goal-scoring position.

For the money we have paid, he has been more than worth it IMO. If you want to analyse it like that then I suggest you compare his first season with Schevchenko's first season and see who comes out on top for value for money.

Or you can compare him to strikers like McCarthy as I mentioned earlier, who made far a greater impact than Kuyt.

Perhaps if Shevchenko arrived a couple of years of earlier, it wouldn't had taken him so long to get the grips to the Premiership. Playing in a system that doesn't suit him at all [Chelsea's focal point of attack is through Drogba].

So what if we've signed Torres? That's one striker. Kuyt,Crouch and Voronin hardly fall into the top echelon of strikers.

Tevez and Torres would be a far more dangerous partnership than anything we have at the moment.
Last edited by AB's Red Army on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:50 am

A cracking player in terms of creative awareness, defensive awareness, team play, movement off the ball, strength in holding up the ball, timing of his passing, goal threat, a dogged determined attitude, link up play

Firstly LFC2007 defensive awareness should be the least of a strikers ability in terms of his main attributes.

And a goal threat ? Did you watch us last season !
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:50 am

weringo wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

Sorry LFC but I just don't buy it, Kuyt in my eyes will never be more than a hard-worker with average ability on the ball. I acknowledge he does have good movement off the ball that often goes unnoticed but I would prefer to see more than just that from him. He can get us 15+ goals a season but then again so could Cisse.

Fair enough your opinion, we shall see. Next season is a big one for him.
LFC2007

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:53 am

And nothing against Dirk, as I said earlier, I really do admire his character off and on the field.

But as a footballer, I don't rate him highly. I expected good things from him, but he hasn't produced anything spectacular for the money we paid.

For the money we paid, we could have done so much better.
AB's Red Army

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:54 am

Bamaga man wrote:
A cracking player in terms of creative awareness, defensive awareness, team play, movement off the ball, strength in holding up the ball, timing of his passing, goal threat, a dogged determined attitude, link up play

Firstly LFC2007 defensive awareness should be the least of a strikers ability in terms of his main attributes.

Firstly Bamaga, indeed I did watch us last season. Actually at Anfield and not in Timbuktu.

Defensive awareness is one attribute he possesses, he is aware where to position himself and when to press the opposition midfield.

In terms of a goal threat, he showed a decent return for his first season in England.
LFC2007

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:54 am

we have already seen, thanks very much
112-1077774096

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:55 am

Ah the old ''I was at Anfield you weren't'' trump card.

Why is that this is only pulled on this site the most?
AB's Red Army

Postby hello_red » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:56 am

I like his style of play. I feel Kuyt will score more than he did last season and he has already started playing higher up the pitch than last season so he will be on the end of things.WE have a more attacking feel this season and Kuyt fits into that system more so then last season were we played Alonso and Sissoko for much of the season.  On the other hand Crouch is a good goal scorer but but he is back up in my eyes. Kuyt and Torres allday long.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby weringo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:59 am

AB's Red Army wrote:For the money we paid, we could have done so much better.

That's one of the most dissapointing things, we could have had Anelka or Berbatov for the money we paid on Kuyt   :(
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:01 am

Berbatov is a good player and is a better player technically than Kuyt, however the whole ''world class'' tag that has been slapped on him after a decent return in the league [12 goals same as Kuyt] is laughable.

Still I would had preferred him over Dirk.
AB's Red Army

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:02 am

LFC2007 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Firstly Bamaga, indeed I did watch us last season. Actually at Anfield and not in Timbuktu.

Defensive awareness is one attribute he possesses, he is aware where to position himself and when to press the opposition midfield.

In terms of a goal threat, he showed a decent return for his first season in England.

Timbuktu - Australia ?

Two different places mate.

It just goes to show even the Anfield faithful call it wrong a 'cracking player in terms of goal threat'. Next time you go make sure your vision isnt impaired by the bloke infront of you.
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:05 am

AB's Red Army wrote:

His movement off the ball is average. Which is why at times he's late to get on the end of things, or doesn't get himself into the position to score.

His finishing is anything but cracking. [on consistent basis] and the same can be said for his creativity. He's average in vast areas that you've mentioned.

Good team player, hard-worker, not a cracking footballer. Perhaps your definition of ''cracking'' is different from mines, but Kuyt doesn't fall into that category. He's a work horse with a decent amount of ability.

I've seen the vast majority of the games in where he scored. He isn't a consistent goal threat in the box. He isn't a nuisance to defenders consistently.

The keyword is consistency. I cringe every time I see him arriving late in the box or not getting himself into a goal-scoring position.

Or you can compare him to strikers like McCarthy as I mentioned earlier, who made far a greater impact than Kuyt.

Perhaps if Shevchenko arrived a couple of years of earlier, it wouldn't had taken him so long to get the grips to the Premiership. Playing in a system that doesn't suit him at all [Chelsea's focal point of attack is through Drogba].

So what if we've signed Torres? That's one striker. Kuyt,Crouch and Voronin hardly fall into the top echelon of strikers.

Tevez and Torres would be a far more dangerous partnership than anything we have at the moment.

Again, differing opinions on an issue that will revolve in circles.

I really can't be arsed to reply individually to your points because it will be an endless cycle of negation.

I will merely offer a concise reply.

Yes, we've signed Torres. The type of player we have not seen since Owen left. He will add balance up top. Our other strikers may not have that top class look to them but they are effective at what they do, and at the end of this season we shall indeed see who is correct.

Mccarthy is an aging striker with decent ability, he does not work for the team. He was successful at Blackburn, all credit to him for that. The dynamics of playing up front for Luverpool are very different to those at Blackburn - or any oher mediocre EPL side. It requires more work, a more savvy approach and great team play. Mccarthy does not fit the bill IMO.

What you consider 'top echelon' is not what I consider 'top echelon'. We have probably the most diverse range of options up front, even Babel can play up front.

Kuyt's return has been decent in his first year, he just needs to do more of it, i.e. take more of a gamble in the box. All in all it's really besides the point, he is one player in a team of 11 who contribute to winning a game, I believe we will fair significantly better this season.

We shall see.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion