Kuyt - Is there any fee big enough?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:23 am

However, his touch is poor, he doesnt have the pace of a winger or the accuracy/confidence in the box of a top class striker. The reason (I believe) he shines in tracking back and winning the ball is quite often because he gave it away in the first place and I fail to see how he fits into a prem league winning side. I would like to see Dirk stay for another season (he deserves this) but NOT as a first team player. As a sub he offers us a lot of 'options'!! But he is NOT a first teamer....

Robben wasn't a starting eleven player yesterday, yet he proved he was a first teamer for Holland. Right? Not everyone in the squad might be necessarily a regular starter but someone you do want to keep in your team.

Van Nistelrooy (sp? I struggle with Dutch names :D) didn't score yesterday, Kuyt scored onece, but both were key to that art Holland did so well, Counter attack.

VAn Nistelrooy showed a master class of what to do with the ball and the pace of the play meanwhile his running team mates were mounting the counter. They knew to deliver the ball in the right moment, to the right man. Kuyt not only recovers ball, he also protects well the ball, he's not the easiest man to get the ball from. Kuyt played well not because he scored, but because he actually played well.

Kuyt might not necessarily be in the final of a CL in my ideal team, but is someone I definitely want to have on the bench and using him during the game. He's definitely someone I want in Liverpool -- unless someone gets in love with him in the euro and we receive a too tempting offer.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:45 am

LegBarnes wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:It's fantastic to see him in good form and having an impact.  He's not world class by any means and is unlikely to be the long-term solution needed on the right but it's clear that there's still a place in the squad for Dirk.  One thing's clear, he's a different proposition when he's got a bit of confidence and that's something that Rafa will need to work hard to maintain as we head into the new season.

i think he has it within him self to be world class when you lose some one in your life you question every thing , is it all worth it , should i be doing some thing else in life , is there life afte death and so on and so on.

But you come back stronger , more sure headed , more focused , more in tune with your self. I see that in kuyt now i see he is enjoying life agian. I say keep him , surport him , cheer him .I say let him become the player we all know he can be.

I remeber watching him in dutch league and think wow pure class i am sure he can get back to that form if given more time.

:nod  :buttrock
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby ken_job » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:00 pm

I think people are reading too much into these holland games to be honest....
ken_job

Postby Dutchsky » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:17 pm

ken_job wrote:

However, his touch is poor, he doesnt have the pace of a winger[/quote]

In the game vs Italy. He was the fastest player on the pitch with 29.96 km/per hour highest speed.
(this was measured by an uefa stats buro)

or the accuracy/confidence in the box of a top class striker.

Scoring is not a big problem for him.
In the box or outside, he is dangerous.
He always has two actions. That's typical Kuyt.
If his first action doesn't work, he always has a 2nd action. Which can be recovering the ball, assisting, or even scoring.

But if your not a fan..thats ok.
Imagine this, who would win:

11 Torres players or 11 Kuyt players on the pitch?

;-)
Dutchsky

Postby Dutchsky » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:27 pm

ken_job wrote:I think people are reading too much into these holland games to be honest....

Not really, I had the same opinion about Kuyt before Euro 2008.

But because of his style he is an easy scapegoat.
Dutchsky

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:29 pm

Dutchsky wrote:
ken_job wrote:I think people are reading too much into these holland games to be honest....

Not really, I had the same opinion about Kuyt before Euro 2008.

But because of his style he is an easy scapegoat.

Yes, but you have Dutchky as an username, and that will become you an easy target of some posters, especially if you make comparisons with Torres.

Other than that unnecessary comparison mate, I think you do well to praise Kuyt's game.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:42 pm

In a way it's not Kuyts fault. He was brought to the club as a striker and to score goals. So in his first season that's exactly what he did , not prolific like ,but good enough for his first season .

This season for whatever reason , as a striker he has been poor. As a striker workrate alone is not good enough , you need to get your share of goals . So rafa puts him on the right in a new formation and after a couple of games he starts to settle down and find some form and chip in with a few goals. If next season he is used as a striker i think it may now be to his his detriment. I think he could hold a place down in the side(depending on if we buy anyone better) playing on the right if he keeps his good form up and his outstanding workrate.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:47 pm

I think Kuyt is yet another player that finds the pace of the prem a problem and seems better suited to the more controlled and slower European games. My main irritation with Kuyt's lack of goal threat, has been  reduced by his move out to the wing, while his hard work has always been his best appreciated and main asset.

For a striker(?) to go a whole season without a league goal at Anfield is something of a rarity, especially playing the number of games he has. For a striker to score only 3 league goals in a season (2 pens and one that hit his knee) is again a pitiful return for an international striker.

I think he has done enough to warrent another season as a squad player(wing), but I would prefer a better first team option if we have the money. Admittedly I would snatch anyones hand off that bid over £7million for him, as I don't think he is the long term answer to any of of our problems. Certainly if Kuyt is going to stay and get regular first team action we will have similar problems to last season with the team being too dependent on Gerrard and Torres for goals unless we make a big money signing for the left wing and/or a creative second striker.

For me in the prem his poor first touch and lack of pace are more of a problem than in Europe because in the prem winning the second ball is always a priority, whilst in Europe getting men behind the ball is the main priority. So in the prem Kuyts second touch is more often than not a tackle, while in Europe his poor first touch more often than not just means the defender now has him covered.
account deleted by request

Postby Rush Job » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:20 am

Im not saying dirk is/can be the solution for us but he can be very effective, put it this way ashley cole has had easyer games up against ronaldo than kuyt in the CL game at anfield and it was no supprise when he broke the deadlock as he did agaist inter. He was terrible the first half of the year but i dont think he's a terrible player, i think he'll be better for it this season.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Number 9 wrote:Excellent player for LFC!
I love him,i love his heart and attitude!
I will put my head on the line and say if he is not great this term i will stick a red hot poker up my :censored: or even worse than that i will read one of Bigmicks posts! :D

:D  :laugh:
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:23 pm

The thing is with kuyt , good or bad game , 1 thing about him is that you will get a 100% effort for him , he will chase for every ball and his attitude is simply magnificent , he may not have the striker's poaching instinct but he has done well since being converted into a right midfielder
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:33 pm

this kuyt guy has played awesome at the euro championships!

any chance rafa will sign him :D  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:37 pm

Judge wrote:this kuyt guy has played awesome at the euro championships!

any chance rafa will sign him :D  :D

Hard worker and ball waster

:p
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:38 pm

s@int wrote:

I think Kuyt is yet another player that finds the pace of the prem a problem and seems better suited to the more controlled and slower European games.

???

Admittedly I would snatch anyones hand off that bid over £7million for him, as I don't think he is the long term answer to any of of our problems.

my my... i'm glad you will not be replacing rick parry anytime soon...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:11 pm

maguskwt wrote:
s@int wrote:

I think Kuyt is yet another player that finds the pace of the prem a problem and seems better suited to the more controlled and slower European games.

???

Admittedly I would snatch anyones hand off that bid over £7million for him, as I don't think he is the long term answer to any of of our problems.

my my... i'm glad you will not be replacing rick parry anytime soon...

Why not try debating the points rather than just posting stupid smilies and silly comments?

:kungfu:

my my ........I am glad you wont be replacing my bin man anytime soon, although you do seem to post a considerable amount of rubbish.
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion