Kewell - Rafa issues ultimatum

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:23 am

Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Benitez issues Kewell ultimatum
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has told Harry Kewell he needs to work on his fitness.

The former Leeds midfielder has come under fire for his display in the defeat by Birmingham at Anfield last Saturday.

Kewell was forced into a striking role from midfield in the absence of injured duo Djibril Cisse and Milan Baros.

The Australian international faded after a bright start, and his career at Liverpool has not yet taken off following his move from Leeds in the summer of 2003.

Benitez said: 'We know he can play better because he is a good player. He is one of the best in England.

'He needs to improve his physical condition. After that, things might be different.

'Harry needs to regain confidence and to improve his physical level. Once he does that he will be okay.

'The problem is when you play one month with muscle problems and then go with the national team and lose 10 days you have problems when you come back.'

Benitez will give a run-out to a number of fringe players for the Carling Cup tie against holders Middlesbrough at Anfield tonight.

Neil Mellor and Florent Sinama-Pongolle are expected to be paired up front, with Baros still troubled by a hamstring injury.

Zak Whitbread, Darren Potter and Stephen Warnock are again included after helping the side defeat Millwall in the last round.

Benitez said: 'I have told the team that if they win, then you will have more possibilities to play.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby barnesrush » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:03 pm

i wish fitness was his only problem as that should be easy to rectify but i feel there are more problems than that
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby Eagle » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:12 pm

I think fitness was an issue for most of our players last season and when Benitiez came in, that was one of the first things he wanted to work on.

With Kewell his problem has been with his leg muscles, I don't know how server it is but I hope it gets sorted out.

Just imagine if we had Harry Kewell on top form, it would be like having a new signing, what an asset he would be.
Eagle

Postby spion_kop2 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:05 pm

he's not as agressive as he used to be and all creativity seems to have been sucked from his game. I don't know why but it seems it can only be mental.
I would be a proffesional footballer if i wasn't limited by my lack of talent.
spion_kop2

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion