Kevin keegan - Lost the plot

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:32 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:peewee I won't have a bad word said about Keegan or McDermott for their playing days, but this isn't them during their playing days.

Terry Mc, I've always idolised and thought was as good a attacking midfielder I've ever seen. Great laugh by all accounts and the real joker of the Liverpool sides. Keegan on the other hand was a great player but is a total :censored: of a man. As soon as he left for Hamburg, he's never had a good word to say about the fans of Liverpool. He carries on like we were just a stepping stone for him on his way to greatness with Newcastle. He deserves no respect for the way he's spoken about our fans in the past.

As a player he was fantastic. As a man he's a :censored:. I have great respect for him as a player and I and every other Liverpool fan owe him great thanks but he has always dismissed Liverpool fans.

He took a lot of stick from the Liverpool fans during that last season with us John.  A lot of bridges between him and the supporters were burned and I think there was a lot of ill feeling ON BOTH SIDES. He was the first star player I can remember leaving at the peak of his powers and at his footballing prime.

I don't think it helped that Dalglish was such a successful replacement either. No one likes feeling as if they arn't missed. I think its says everything that we had first option on him when he left Hamburg and didn't take it up, allowing him to go to Southampton.

The ill feeling towards Owen and Mcmanaman was nothing compared to the ill feeling towards Keegan. It was just short lived because Dalglish was such a successful replacement and we continued to have success.

People should remember just how good he was at his peak...... there where a lot of arguments at the time who was better Keegan or the young Maradonna.

He was certainly much more highly rated and thought of in Europe than Dalglish ever was, even before his transfer to Hamburg.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby JC_81 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:43 am

I don't have a problem with Keegan or McDermot who were both quality players for us.

I also admire Keegan's football philosophy which we have to admit is entertaining.  I watched their game against Sunderland at the weekend and he has then playing good football again, far more entertaining than they were under Allardyce, but of course the major difference is that Keegan has a fit and scoring Michael Owen which Allardyce never had.

Unfortunately for them I can't see things getting much better.  They are not going to attract better players up there than what they already have - Owen, Martins, Viduka, Butt, Duff etc.  Keegan has admitted in the press this week that it is now more difficult to get top players to go to the northeast.  His problem lies in his defence, but to be honest he couldn't solve that problem first time around as manager there and I doubt he'll solve it this time.  They are destined for mid-table obscurity under Keegan as Bigmick says I reckon.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:01 am

REDTILLDEAD wrote:... coupled with that other clown Mc Derrmott...

:Oo:
this is a sad day for newkit   :down:
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:26 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:peewee I won't have a bad word said about Keegan or McDermott for their playing days, but this isn't them during their playing days.

Terry Mc, I've always idolised and thought was as good a attacking midfielder I've ever seen. Great laugh by all accounts and the real joker of the Liverpool sides. Keegan on the other hand was a great player but is a total :censored: of a man. As soon as he left for Hamburg, he's never had a good word to say about the fans of Liverpool. He carries on like we were just a stepping stone for him on his way to greatness with Newcastle. He deserves no respect for the way he's spoken about our fans in the past.

As a player he was fantastic. As a man he's a :censored:. I have great respect for him as a player and I and every other Liverpool fan owe him great thanks but he has always dismissed Liverpool fans.

I totaly agree!.....Keegan and Mcdermott were great players when at LFC....but my point is that since they went their own ways they have never said anything positive about LFC, Keegan has no affinity with us, never gives praises, or acknowledged the club, or the support both he and Mc dermott got. As for Terry Mc he has never once given any credit to LFC for making something out of him...when have you ever heard him talk about "The great Anfield Atmosphere"? or talk about his time at LFC with affection?...some people on here are looking at these two as saints or gods.......well their not, how short memories some people have on here?.....Keegan thought fukk all about leaving us to p1ss off to hamburg leaving us in limbo...a somewhat similar situation that a certain player now playing for Newcastle did to us not long ago? ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:02 pm

s@int wrote:

He took a lot of stick from the Liverpool fans during that last season with us John.  A lot of bridges between him and the supporters were burned and I think there was a lot of ill feeling ON BOTH SIDES. He was the first star player I can remember leaving at the peak of his powers and at his footballing prime.

I don't think it helped that Dalglish was such a successful replacement either. No one likes feeling as if they arn't missed. I think its says everything that we had first option on him when he left Hamburg and didn't take it up, allowing him to go to Southampton.

The ill feeling towards Owen and Mcmanaman was nothing compared to the ill feeling towards Keegan. It was just short lived because Dalglish was such a successful replacement and we continued to have success.

People should remember just how good he was at his peak...... there where a lot of arguments at the time who was better Keegan or the young Maradonna.

He was certainly much more highly rated and thought of in Europe than Dalglish ever was, even before his transfer to Hamburg.

the fans ill feeling came about because he admitted he was off to hamburg before the 76/77 season had even started saint. I don't think the fans were to chuffed about knowing their superstar had already decided to move. We felt as if he was selling us down the river for an extra couple of quid. That's really why our fans turned on him. I don't think any fan of this club can say Kevin Keegan put a foot wrong while in a Liverpool shirt, even the 76/77 season was one of his best for the club.

Dalglish as his replacement was fantastic buisness by Paisley and I think the fact Kenny took the number 7 shirt, also helped erase the memories of Keegan who had suddenly become someone Liverpool fans hated (if that's not to strong a word)
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby PhiLFC » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:10 pm

neil wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:... coupled with that other clown Mc Derrmott...

:Oo:
this is a sad day for newkit   :down:

I agree.

Keegan - Dalglish

I don't think you can say "Keegan didn't have a patch on Dalglish".  Keegan was fcking brilliant and so exciting, twice european footballer of the year... he was one of my heroes.
PhiLFC

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:21 pm

Daft thread this. Keegan left Liverpool 31 years ago...... and was a great servant of the club and played a vital part in rebuilding one of the great Shankley teams before ensuring that Paisley had the firepower to see him win the first european cup in 1977. Kudos to the man.

Terry Mac was a very tricky player who dribbled, ran defences ragged and was able to shoot from distance and lobbed many a keeper. He helped consolidate one of the greatest football sides ever seen and again was a player who played in a transition period as Souness, Dalglish, Case, Hansen etc.. took over from the Smith, Cally, Lawler, Heighway era.

Two great players and I look unpon them as very pro-Liverpool.

Stop being so tribal guys and seeking ghosts where they dont exist.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:55 pm

REDTILLDEAD wrote:Keegan and Newcastle go hand in hand.......they are both out of touch with reality, and live in a "geordie wonder land"....they will never become a serious threat to the bigger clubs, Keegans tactical awareness, coupled with that other clown Mc Derrmott...are a recipe for disaster.....long may they reign......and as for owen he looks good in a p1ss poor newcastle team, and thats not hard to do is it?.LOL :laugh:

Geordies are getting excited over an unbeaten run, who cares that they have played some pretty cr ap sides including relegation threatened brum, sunderland, Reading and Fulham! Throw in a draw at pompey as probably their best result and thumping spudz who've nothing to play for and you wonder why they are getting carried away.

Like the villa fan who thinks them being sixth, second top scorers in the league and all on the back of thumping brum makes MON a top manager! Never mind they conceded TEN against the mancs this season or have lost 1/4 of their games.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:57 pm

Kevin Keegan was my first hero growing up and was the reason I became a Liverpool supporter (I mean my father supported Utd). He was great for Liverpool and for England.  I was lucky enough to meet him whe he played for Southampton and He took photos with me and my brother. I will always respect him as a Liverpool legend.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:19 pm

why are people talking about keegan the player, that wasnt my point, no one is saying he wasnt anything but great for us.

the point is he compared us to teams like man city and the like, listen to it again, also implying we where after michael owen as he was using him to make the point.

the guy is having a dig and if you choose not to see it then thats upto you.

newcastle as big as Liverpool, never in my or my kids lifetime.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:56 pm

To many people on here only see keegan as the player......they dont look at the wider perspective since keegan left LFC he has turned his back on this club, along with Mc dermott, thats the point i am trying to get across, i am not disputing the fact that he was a great player, but he has never once admitted that his time at Anfield was instrumental in nurturing his career....he could not wait to p1ss off to hamburg...he was one player who at the time did think that he was "bigger than the club"...a bit like someone else we used to know...who now wears the newcastle shirt. :oops:
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Keegan's paid to 'big up' NUFC, he aint paid to admire our team or its success over the period after he left. When he went he was unlucky cuz he was replaced perfectly by Kenny, and that had to hurt KK, I know I'd like to be missed by my former employers after I'v left, kinda like a pride thing. KK was half of a very successful double act with big Tosh, somethin we cud do with today as a foil for Torres.

Whether KK disses us or sucks up dont matter, he has nothin to do with LFC any more in an official capacity. Same goes for Terry Mac. I recall some great goals by TM, goals from nothin with a sudden stop and chip.....awesome. Fact is both these guys wanna be that successful again and I guess that drives em on. Belittle your opponents enuff and your own players may start believin, after all Shanks made a hero out of himself by puttin LFC above everythin else, regardless of peoples opinions.

I'm glad NUFC aint been relegated, glad KK's back in football and wish him and TM all the best for next season in every game bar 2, and I'd like to think that deep down inside, they feel the same for us - even if it is grudginly.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matt1974 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:22 am

dawson99 wrote:Keegans got to say that. Newcastle call him there adopted son, but im pretty sure he played for us right? and he wasnt half bad? but hes not ever gonna be good enough to manage us, so he cant say how he prefers the atmosphere at liverpool to newcastle or hed be lynched, simple as.

I spent six years in the north-east and it would be an understatement to say that Newcastle's fans aren't exactly the most rational-thinking chaps.
They have this delluded notion that they're a big club because they have "loadsa fans". One even said in 442 last year that the Mancs were bigger club than Liverpool because of that fact alone, regardless of respective trophy counts.
I also remember one of them in dumb-struck disbelief on Radio Five (also last year) when Gabriele Marcotti tore this "big club" notion apart - jist of it was, big clubs don't go nearly 40 years without a major trophy.
I still have mates there and they say of when they lose its "rubbish man gerridofim" and sharpen the pitchforks for Keegan, Allardyce, Roeder, Souness, Robson et al. When they win (against the likes of Fulham) its "top four next season guaranteed".
Keegan knows full well his audience is fickle and I suspect, he's playing the percentages by keeping this volatile lot sweet.
Personally, I think the citizens of cloud cuckoo land deserve the club they get. At least some Sunderland fans have a decent grip on reality.
matt1974

Postby matt1974 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:26 am

REDTILLDEAD wrote:To many people on here only see keegan as the player......they dont look at the wider perspective since keegan left LFC he has turned his back on this club, along with Mc dermott, thats the point i am trying to get across, i am not disputing the fact that he was a great player, but he has never once admitted that his time at Anfield was instrumental in nurturing his career....he could not wait to p1ss off to hamburg...he was one player who at the time did think that he was "bigger than the club"...a bit like someone else we used to know...who now wears the newcastle shirt. :oops:

To be fair to Keegan, back then, the package offered by Hamburg was very lucrative and it helped set him up for his retirement (that Spanish gaff must have cost a fair whack).
Also, the package offered in turn by Liverpool to his replacement, Kenny Dalglish, dwarfed what he was getting from Celtic's infamous biscuit tin.
Besides, LFC did alright out of it. Cash in on one great player and use it to buy a greater one.
matt1974

Postby gizzajob » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:37 pm

'Blokes like Alan Smith, Nicky Butt, Mark Viduka and probably Owen as well are at about as big a club as they are ever likely to be again, on huge money with a fanatical support'

Well said Big Mick.

There is usually good banter between geordies and scousers  :rasp

Sad to to see some of the posts from probably the most knowledgable supporters in this country. 'Keegan knows full well his audience is fickle'.  If we were fickle we would have given up surely by now?    Maybe liverpool would like Glen Roeder as manager next seaon (see the job he is doing at Norwich) or play exciting fooball like Bolton, eh?

It is an obvious fact that Liverpool are a great club and one of the World's giants.  The support is great and there is nothing better than Anfield on a European night.  The humour and originality of scousers,  'walk on' with all the scarves (can't stand the copy cats!), the witty banners, brill city, wonderful people.  And yes Geordies like to see Liverpool win! There are certainly a few connections which I won't list...Ray Kennedy was from my town.

Have a bit of sympathy for us geordies!  The potential has always been obvious at Newcastle but never fulfilled.  There must be something about the club as we remain 5th on points since the commencement of the premiership.  Also the best away following despite the furthest to travel (every year), yet we win nothing and rarely even win away! 

If big clubs are measured on trophies then we are even behind 'Boro.

Did you know we had a full allocation at Portsmouth for a live Sunday 5.15 telly game.  At half time several hundred were seen leaving the ground by Police CCTV and they thought there was going to be trouble.  BUT these fans were leaving as the only way to get back to Newcastle in time for work was to catch that last train.  Loyal support yet we win nothing.  Maybe we might just deserve to win something?

The London press hate NUFC and sadly those types outside Liverpool who still read the sun believe what is written.  Total "*^%*". 

Scousers like the other Big Mick (Quinn) still love newcastle after all these years, always on about the supporters etc.  Any who have played for the club and lived in the area know the score.

We have no divine right to win anything, but neither had Liverpool.  Just be thankful you were born a scouser and your dad didn't have a Tranmere season ticket (or a Sunderland)!

Hope you beat Chelsea and then Barcelona. I note Keegan is after Riise...might we get him now??  He could play up front
:idea

:pirate  Not a big club, but I'd like to see our away support if we won the trophies that Man U have  :rasp
gizzajob

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion