Kevin keegan - Lost the plot

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:25 am

I really didn't want to get involved in this unamusing game of TIT for tat, but Keegan not a legend is absolute rubbish, anyone who knows anything about LFC and its history could never deny him that tag, and would clearly understand the integral part he played as a catalyst for success.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:28 am

redtrader74 wrote:I really didn't want to get involved in this unamusing game of TIT for tat, but Keegan not a legend is absolute rubbish,

See being away i miss out on this stuff Red. Is it "National Contradiction day" today in the UK?  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:29 am

Kharhaz wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:They were great players for LFC...although i would stop short on calling them Legends?...King kenny and Rushie were true Legends! keegan and Mc dermott's allegiances lie elsewhere, and have done for some time, with both of them having very little if anything positive to say about LFC....like it or not?...I'm with me on this one. :nod

So to be a legend they have to give there whole life to liverpool? They contributed great success to this club so yes they are legends.

Keegan and Mc dermott's contribution to LFC are well known....but to say they were in the same mould as kenny and Rushie?....is not on. :no
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:30 am

bigmick wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:I really didn't want to get involved in this unamusing game of TIT for tat, but Keegan not a legend is absolute rubbish,

See being away i miss out on this stuff Red. Is it "National Contradiction day" today in the UK?  :D

Couldn't help myself. Quiet night on the forum  :D  Calm before the storm.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:32 am

bigmick wrote:

:laugh: , Naw Mick , just "National Clown Audition Day" .  :D

Now where were we ? Oh yeah , talking about nothing in particular and you were about to eat another cheese sandwich.  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:33 am

REDTILLDEAD wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:They were great players for LFC...although i would stop short on calling them Legends?...King kenny and Rushie were true Legends! keegan and Mc dermott's allegiances lie elsewhere, and have done for some time, with both of them having very little if anything positive to say about LFC....like it or not?...I'm with me on this one. :nod

So to be a legend they have to give there whole life to liverpool? They contributed great success to this club so yes they are legends.

Keegan and Mc dermott's contribution to LFC are well known....but to say they were in the same mould as kenny and Rushie?....is not on. :no

There perms alone are legendary status !  :buttrock
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:35 am

I saw Keegan's first game for Liverpool - against Notts Forest - I saw his next to last game for Liverpool - mancs in FA cup final - and most of the home games inbetween (I went to most home games in those days.) He was a great player, always worked hard like Kuyt, but with pace, and purpose. He helped take Liverpool from a struggling top 4 team to the best team in Europe. A true legend - even if he left under a cloud and has never seemed to have the usual affinity and affection for our club that most ex-players have.
account deleted by request

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:35 am

woof woof ! wrote:
bigmick wrote:

:laugh: , Naw Mick , just "National Clown Audition Day" .  :D

Now where were we ? Oh yeah , talking about nothing in particular and you were about to eat another cheese sandwich.  :D

Me thinks you have all been eating prawn sandwiches....your all making me sleepy...yawn, prawn, yawn :sleep
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:40 am

Prawns belong in curries. Seafood salads, sarnies, on there own. Cant beat a prawn curry.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:41 am

s@int wrote:I saw Keegan's first game for Liverpool - against Notts Forest - I saw his next to last game for Liverpool - mancs in FA cup final - and most of the home games inbetween (I went to most home games in those days.) He was a great player, always worked hard like Kuyt, but with pace, and purpose. He helped take Liverpool from a struggling top 4 team to the best team in Europe. A true legend - even if he left under a cloud and has never seemed to have the usual affinity and affection for our club that most ex-players have.

even if he left under a cloud

Saint, wasn't the "cloud" purely the fact that he left us ? or did i miss something ?. Must admit I was f'ucking stunned that he left LFC , and for Hamburg of all places.

Maybe he felt he had to retrace John Paul George and Ringo's steps
  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:51 am

woof woof ! wrote:
s@int wrote:I saw Keegan's first game for Liverpool - against Notts Forest - I saw his next to last game for Liverpool - mancs in FA cup final - and most of the home games inbetween (I went to most home games in those days.) He was a great player, always worked hard like Kuyt, but with pace, and purpose. He helped take Liverpool from a struggling top 4 team to the best team in Europe. A true legend - even if he left under a cloud and has never seemed to have the usual affinity and affection for our club that most ex-players have.

even if he left under a cloud

Saint, wasn't the "cloud" purely the fact that he left us ? or did i miss something ?. Must admit I was f'ucking stunned that he left LFC , and for Hamburg of all places.

Maybe he felt he had to retrace John Paul George and Ringo's steps
  :D

I don't think he helped himself by saying he was going and then staying for another year (to win the EC). The last year he was at Liverpool he came in for a lot of "stick", not trying, only interested in Europe (bit like our players today  :D  ) We still won the league, got to the FA cup final and won the European cup mind you.

I think the parting of the ways would have been much easier and less bitter if everyone hadn't known he was going for so long.

I spent hours arguing with my Scottish girlfriends dad about how there was no way Dalglish could ever replace Keegan  :laugh:
account deleted by request

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:00 am

I spent hours arguing with my Scottish girlfriends dad about how there was no way Dalglish could ever replace Keegan  :laugh:

:D , I still remember asking "Kenny who ? "   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:57 am

bigmick wrote:I don't know if Keegan has "lost the plot' to be fair. I saw the interview and my take on it was he was saying that the players couldn't move to bigger club "at this stage of their careers", and in all honesty he's probably right. Blokes like Alan Smith, Nicky Butt, Mark Viduka and probably Owen as well are at about as big a club as they are ever likely to be again, on huge money with a fanatical support.

In many ways, it must be the absolutely perfect scenario for players who've kind of been there and done it. If Keegan continues with his policy of playing three up top then they are going to be involved in some really exciting matches, are going to score and concede a shed load of goals and will no doubt pack the ground out every week. They'll like as not have decent Cup runs, take a few big clubs scalps along the way and the fans will love it, removing any pressure from the players and quickly forgetting about the odd little run they go on where they get tonked 3 or 4 a couple of times.

FWIW I think Keegan has a refreshing outlook on the whole thing and I think many other clubs would do well to emulate his philosophy. Given the status quo in the Premiership, Newcastle are like a whole host of other clubs who are never going to win it and have only a miniscule cahnce of the top four. What's more, with cannon fodder such as Derby coming into the Premiership on a conveyor belt, and "cling on by their fingernails" teams like Fulham and the like kicking around, they aren't going to go down either. I mean essentially if Owen stays fit for most of the season, it would almost be a physical impossibility for Newcastle to go down such is his scoring prowess. Stick in Viduka and Martins as well, and they've got mid-table security/mediocrity written all over them. Now in those circumstances, why not remember that you are actually asking people to pay to get in. Give 'em a game to watch FFS, some of these coaches take themselves too seriously I reckon and always have.

Teams like Middlesboro, Blackburn, Newcastle, West Ham etc etc should be playing the game with a smile on their face and having a go. The thing is as well once you get on a roll you never know where you'll get with it. Truth be told Keegan and his daft tactics came a sight closer to winning the Premiership than we ever have.

* All that said, and as a disclaimer I'm not saying for a second that we should adopt similar tactics before the thought police are all over me like a cheap suit *

Good post, mate.  I'd love to see Newcastle get back to the more swashbuckling brand of footy they've played in the past.  Just so long as they're still rubbish against us, that is. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:05 am

i think some of you obviously don't remember what great servants keegan and terry mac were for our club, get your videos out and watch, then treat them with the respect they deserve     :no
112-1077774096

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:13 am

peewee I won't have a bad word said about Keegan or McDermott for their playing days, but this isn't them during their playing days.

Terry Mc, I've always idolised and thought was as good a attacking midfielder I've ever seen. Great laugh by all accounts and the real joker of the Liverpool sides. Keegan on the other hand was a great player but is a total :censored: of a man. As soon as he left for Hamburg, he's never had a good word to say about the fans of Liverpool. He carries on like we were just a stepping stone for him on his way to greatness with Newcastle. He deserves no respect for the way he's spoken about our fans in the past.

As a player he was fantastic. As a man he's a :censored:. I have great respect for him as a player and I and every other Liverpool fan owe him great thanks but he has always dismissed Liverpool fans.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion