Tactics, philosophy, formation, etc...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:12 pm

so here we are,

we have Kenny Dalglish till the end of the season and left me wondering what tactics will he employ and his general philosophy. I was still 2 years old when he became a manager back in the late 80's, and was young when he was at Blackburn and Newcastle to understand the fundamentals of the game.

I would like to know, is he going to mix it around or how is his general tactics going to be? Lets hope Comolli bring in some extra quality on the wings and a striker to improve our starting eleven. I feel more confident that we might get a europa league place this season.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:26 pm

It's a good question mate and i'm really not sure. When Kenny finished up at Newcastle it was still very much a 4-4-2 league in England but the game has changed somewhat since then. You look at his Blackburn side it was Wilcox and Ripley on the wings, two combative middies in Sherwood and Batty with two big lads, Shearer and Sutton up top. I don't think we'll do to well playing that way today so your guess is as good as mine.

I don't get too caught up in formations but my guess (and hope) is that Kenny (having grown up the Liverpool way) will look to get more ball players in the side. I would expect to see an Aureilo in ahead of a Konchesky, an Agger in ahead of a Skrtel and a Mereilles in ahead of a Lucas from here on in but we'll see.
Last edited by Scottbot on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:34 pm

I do remember reading somewhere about the way Blackburn won the league in 95 when they had Shearer and Sutton. Two players who were good in the penalty box and good goal scorers. They also had a winger (forgot his name) who was instrumental in supplying crosses for them that helped too.

Lets hope, as you said is that he kinds of scrap Roy's getting the ball deep philosophy, it didn't work and the players were affected by it, especially players like Gerrard, Johnson, Cole and Torres. I hope we see Agger in the back again (although he does have some defensive limitations) he loves to go forward sometimes and build our attacking momentum.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Joeblackisachimp » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:41 pm

im still confident of a top four finish with 18 games left to play.

If we put a run together now of 5-6-7 straight wins, then we would be right back in the mix. not out of the question.

Its all about confidence.

i want to see cole playing more than Lucas, Jovanovic and Babel in a striking position. No more kuyt on the wing.

If Kenny gets us in the top four, he should get a 4 year deal.
Joeblackisachimp

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:43 pm

I think the way forward is midfielders who like Molby make the game look easy and are pivotal to the movement of the team ...Dalglish totally transformed Molby's game when he made him a vital cog in his Liverpool team of the 85/86 season ,here's a question could Aquilani become that type of finesse player under Dalglish's expert tutelage ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Back then formations didnt matter, liverpool were the best, the players knew it, the fans knew it, the opposition even knew it. We won most games before a ball was kicked.

4-4-2 was the order of the day, the players were playing for the shirt and if they didnt perform they were on their way. When they did perform they were idolised.

What a feeling that must be to be idolised by the fans.....

I think we will play 4-4-2, higher tempo, pass and move, play offence rather than defence.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:45 pm

We havent got the squad for a 4 4 2, id still rather play 3521 or something

cant wait for the triangles pass and moves!!!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:48 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I think the way forward is midfielders who like Molby make the game look easy and are pivotal to the movement of the team ...Dalglish totally transformed Molby's game when he made him a vital cog in his Liverpool team of the 85/86 season ,here's a question could Aquilani become that type of finesse player under Dalglish's expert tutelage ?

interesting point of view mate about Aquilani, however, I do think Aquilani made his mind up about staying at Juventus, but I believe we will see more Meireles and Gerrard in the middle if we do play 4-4-2.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Have a strong feeling this could be the start of Pacheco's,career
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:49 pm

one thing for sure, he wont make us sit back in our own half and soak it up for a 1-1 draw.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Can't wait to see Wilson get some more games under KK as well
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:51 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Have a strong feeling this could be the start of Pacheco's,career

More of Wilson too hopefully. Kenny played a big part in getting him and that Sterling here.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:52 pm

bavlondon wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Have a strong feeling this could be the start of Pacheco's,career

More of Wilson too hopefully. Kenny played a big part in getting him and that Sterling here.

great minds bav, we think alike  :D
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:56 pm

dawson99 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

Hey what happened to your alter ego?  :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:57 pm

bavlondon wrote:
dawson99 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

Hey what happened to your alter ego?  :D

dunno what you're on about, been away the past month srting out roy leaving, the only reason im back is I sorted it all out for us

(Your welcome)
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion