Tactics, philosophy, formation, etc...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:22 pm

metalhead wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:
metalhead wrote:
stmichael wrote:For the last time, Gerrard is not, I repeat not, a central midfielder. :D

I think he still is, but I agree I still think he should play a bit forward we miss his surging runs

He cant be allowed to be sitting in front of the back 4 picking the ball up of the centre halves.
Its a waste of his talents.
He doesnt have the right decision making ability to carry out the role. Often picking the wrong time to pass short and long etc.
Also obviously he offers no goal threat there and he is one of our most dangerous players in the opponents half.
I hope we dont see him there again very often.

depends on what role he plays as a CM, could be a box to box role, in which he can do everything and go forward and defend at the same time. We have seen him at his best box to box, but I agree I don't want to see him play so deep and picking the ball from the center halves, that was Alonso's role.

he isnt intelligent enough to do that.
What i mean about his decision making is not only his passing.
Also when to sit and when to go. He gets that wrong alot as well and in the end he now seems to just sit too deep whenever he plays in there.
I honestly wouldnt have him in there ever, he is wasted there.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:49 pm

Be very interesting to see how Kenny sits us up with Carroll and Suarez on board. I think the assumption isa that we will play a lot more 4-4-2 but i'm not so sure that is the best way to go. We've got a few different options and I must admit I'd like to see:

Kelly      Agger     Carra     Aurelio

Mereilles    Lucas

Gerrard           Cole         Suarez

Carroll

I don't think Kenny likes Cole but i'm still hopeful he can make an impact at Anfield and the fact he hasn't gone anywhere on loan is encouraging. I really not sure what Kenny has in store for Gerrard and Mereilles? He seems to likie Mereilles playing off the front, I don't despite his recent good form. We've just bought an absolute brute to play up front but for me the only way to get the best out of him is to get a quality right and left foot on the flanks so i'd love to see Stevie playing off the flank as he did in 06/07. Carroll is SUPERB in the air but Kuyt and Maxi don't have the skill-set to tak advantage of it. Suarez has spent quite a it of time playing wide as part of a 3 in the traditional Ajax sense although i think it was mostly from the right. He could well end up doing the same at LFC on either flank. If we go 4-4-2 I wonder how Kenny will set-up the midfield? I'd like to see Gerrard and Mereilles in the middle for homes in particular but I'm not sure we'll see it which means one of them will miss out and we don't have a single winger at the club who is suited to play wide in a 4-4-2. If we do line-up this way i'd like to see:

Kelly    Carra    Agger    Aurelio

Jonno   Gerrard   Mereilles   Cole

Suarez    Carroll
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:54 pm

Kenny will play 4-3-3

Reina

Kelly  Carra  Agger  Johnson

Mereiles  Gerrard  Lucas

Kuyt  Carroll  Suarez

or you could see it as

Reina

Gerrard  Lucas

Kuyt   Mereiles   Suarez

Carroll

Cole could play where Kuyt is, as could Maxi.
mkingdom

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:59 pm

mkingdom wrote:Kenny will play 4-3-3

Reina

Mereiles  Gerrard  Lucas

Kuyt  Carroll  Suarez

or you could see it as

Reina

Gerrard  Lucas

Kuyt   Mereiles   Suarez

Carroll

Cole could play where Kuyt is, as could Maxi.

Your probably on the money with that 2nd line-up mate but i'd like see Mereilles playing in the middle of the park. Really don't think Gerrard will see any time on the flank either but it's always done my hea din that he nevers play there despite having arguably his best season in a red shirt in 06-07. That year he moved all over the place from the right flank, often swapping sides with Kewell. He could do the same with Suarez in a very fluid set-up. Love to see it but it won't happen.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brentd4 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:27 am

do we go 442 and drop lucas/ miereles.   play stevie in the middle.

reina
kelly    carragher       agger        johnson

kuyt  (meireles /lucas)   gerrard     maxi

suarez         carroll

or 433

reina
kelly    carragher       agger        johnson

meireles        lucas
                    gerrard
suarez                                       maxi
                     carroll
brentd4

Postby lakes10 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:28 am

kenny will go 442 once he gets to pick bothat the same time.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:30 am

I could see that 4-3-3 actually, it will most likely be something in between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3.
Zidane

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:03 am

Enjoy the Kenny era folks, what he decides i have faith in. You could do worse than watching this:

King Kenny.

In the king we trust.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:39 am

Scottbot wrote:I don't think Kenny likes Cole but i'm still hopeful he can make an impact at Anfield and the fact he hasn't gone anywhere on loan is encouraging.

At least he hasn't sent him to Nothingham Forest...  :laugh:

I kinda take pity on Konchesky but it was quite funny he was sent there...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:02 pm

lakes10 wrote:kenny will go 442 once he gets to pick bothat the same time.

i just don't see this. we don't have any wingers to play this formation.

carroll will definitely give us more options though. ok you can't see him running onto through balls like torres did but he will give us the ability to hold the ball up high up the field and get midfielders running off him. the team as a whole has more goals in it now.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:02 am

what a surprising and interesting system Kenny used last night against Stoke...

I maybe wrong here but it seems to me like he was using Johnson and Kelly as wing backs.

The system was a fluid system which changes from a 5-3-2 to 3-5-2. It was similar to the German's old system.

I'm not really sure whether it will work inthe long run though. Because for the system to work I would think you need players who are very comfortable on the ball and honestly we don't have many of that kind of players.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:37 am

System yesterday (3-5-2) worked a treat against the given opposition... I too am not sure the same system would work against other sides but it certainly raises the possibility of us going with 3 at the back in some home games against the weaker sides that wont pressure as much in the center of the park...

Was thinking yesterday as i watched the game that if we had a decent left wingback in the Kolorov, Marcelo, clichy..etc bracket then Johnson could go back to the right flank and the system would look much better...
Kelly for all his good defensive work and energy is still largely frustrating when he gets forward... Im sure he'll improve many aspects of his game with experience (decision making, crossing, first touch..) but for now I think being solid defensively is more than enough to guarantee him a spot especially with Johnson seemingly being the preferred option down the left...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:08 am

I don't think Kenny is particularly set in his ways and think he will change formation based on the team and the personnel available. At the moment the squad has very limited width so we are probably looking at 5-3-2 / 4-2-3-1 formation. I think we have the players at the moment (if the key players stay fit) to play these formations.

We are still seriously lacking in terms of width and, in my opinion, need another defensive CM and cover at the back. The fact we 'apparently' made moves for Ashley Young and Micah Richards late on in the Jan windows confirms that.

I am sure Commolli has been told to go and find targets so we can look to bring some new players in during the summer. We may need a clear out with the likes of Jovanovic, Cole, Poulson and Maxi the ones most likely to be shown the door to free up funds and wages.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:58 am

you know what, this season i don't really give a massive shít about finishing in the champions league places. i don't really give a massive shít about to***s leaving, and i don't really give a massive shít about how kenny sets out the team with some of the fairly limited players we have. what is great about liverpool right now is kenny's influence right across the whole club. the fans are happy and optimistic for the first time in ages, the players we have now all look like the definitely want to play for him and for the shirt, and even the media like us again. i watch kenny's post match interviews and i laugh with him and share his optimism for the future. his methods on the pitch aren't so important right now - his methods of just being the man he is in charge of the club is what is really pushing us on again and waking us up from the nightmare of the last 18 months.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby worcester_red » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:11 am

I like Kenny's tactics so far, yes we may look a bit shaky in defence but we have done all season anyway. The positive thing is that we are actually attacking teams now with imaginative play and with a bit more fluidity and understanding between the players we will start to rip any opposition apart, the future is looking very bright indeed.  :D  :D
worcester_red

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion