Tactics, philosophy, formation, etc...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Great to see us pass it on the deck and go forward again, isn't it?

Redknapp actually made a decent point at half time today (for once). In the last two games especially it's been refreshing to see how many players we are committing forward when we attack and in particular, when we counterattack. We've had 4 or 5 players in and around the penalty area. In the past we'd be lucky if we had 1 or 2. I mean in the first half we had Lucas getting to the dead ball line and pulling it back for Poulsen to shoot on the edge of the six yard box which is almost unheard of. Shelvey was bombing forward aswell late on when he missed that sitter.

All in all really encouraging.
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:10 pm

Its an absolute joy to watch us play inventive and expansive football once more ,and Kenny is the man who is bringing it back to our door
LONG MAY IT CONTINUE .... haven't   felt this good after a match for a long long time...... its high time for the pessimists to sink back into hibernation....... it feels good to be optimistic about the future  ................
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:15 pm

Just another thing I've noticed from the past two games aswell.

Under Rafa we very much played a patient, possession based game. This worked for a while but towards the end of his reign didn't work because we couldn't keep possession for love nor money. Now under Kenny we appear to be playing a much higher tempo with quicker passes.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:17 pm

I think after the wolves game my question is answered :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:01 pm

My thoughts on the pending signings and subsequent formations/selections -

1) I can't see Meireles playing in the hole over Gerrard. As good as Meireles has been, Gerrard is more influential and better there. You only have to look at the early years of the Gerrard/Torres partnership. The key is rekindling it.

2) Its clear that Poulsen will make way once Adam is here. In fact by signing Adam and his diverse passing range we are essentially replacing Alonso, finally. Also the good thing is he is eligible for Europe.

3) I can actually see Suarez playing instead of Maxi. The 4-5-1 formation looks like a packed midfield but when you play Suarez on the left you essentially turn it into a 4-2-3-1, where Suarez Gerrard and Meireles make up a dynamic attacking force behind Torres.

I imagine the formation, based on the successful signings of Adam and Suarez to be -

Reina

Kelly     Carragher     Agger     Johnson

Lucas     Adam

Meireles     Gerrard     Suarez

Torres

Just imagine how good it would of looked with Mascherano instead of Lucas?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:09 pm

SCS, I do think, if we get Suarez, King Kenny will adopt the same style of Chelsea with Drogba and Anelka complimenting each other, it worked for them. I hope we can do that with Suarez and Torres.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:14 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:In fact by signing Adam and his diverse passing range we are essentially replacing Alonso.

Obviously he's nowhere near Xabi's class but he's probably the closest thing we'll get for the price we're paying. I think he'll be an excellent addition to the squad. It's weird actually. If anything he actually plays deeper than Xabi a lot of the time.

Oh and he takes a mean set piece which is something we are sadly lacking.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:49 pm

is it me or is Kenny's substitutions for the past 3 games have been a routine, bring in Shelvey and Auerelio ??? You know today, I thought we needed that bit of extra quality on the width, maybe Joe Cole or Pacheco should be introduced to give us some intelligence and keep the ball moving. Kenny needs to do better with the substitutions me thinks
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:53 pm

I think our new training is slowly showing itself on the pitch, today's match we looked like a top side for the first 15 minutes or so, we started to go away from it though it was as if our players were getting impatient and we slowly started reverting to trying to force things.  Rewatch those first 15-20 minutes that was some good football.
Zidane

Postby metalhead » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:57 pm

first 15 minutes we battered them, then we got tired in the second half. Paul Tomkins on twitter is insisting that the new medical team is looking after preventing injuries more than keeping players fit and thats why the players do feel jaded by the end of the match. I don't know if there is any truth in it, but it does make sense in a way that some of our players look like they can't catch a breath by the end of the game
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:31 pm

For the last time, Gerrard is not, I repeat not, a central midfielder. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby alwayslfc » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:21 am

I can't help but notice that Lvp style of play now under Kenny and I don't know whether it's intended to be that way,is that we seem to play to win. That is a bit like Houllier's kind of play, but Houllier's was very defensive and depended on counter attacks for Owen to score.

Now today's play to win is to play attacking football first, score a goal or two and then start defending and the opponents get virtually all the possessions. Yup, very practical but not so entertaining to watch and works against weak oppositions but against stronger ones, we could get slaughtered.

We need new signings in the summer to get back the glory days. Man U have dominated the league for far too long. Hopefully with Kenny still in charge plus a few world class signings, we can topple Man U again.
alwayslfc

Postby metalhead » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 pm

stmichael wrote:For the last time, Gerrard is not, I repeat not, a central midfielder. :D

I think he still is, but I agree I still think he should play a bit forward we miss his surging runs
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:31 pm

metalhead wrote:
stmichael wrote:For the last time, Gerrard is not, I repeat not, a central midfielder. :D

I think he still is, but I agree I still think he should play a bit forward we miss his surging runs

He cant be allowed to be sitting in front of the back 4 picking the ball up of the centre halves.
Its a waste of his talents.
He doesnt have the right decision making ability to carry out the role. Often picking the wrong time to pass short and long etc.
Also obviously he offers no goal threat there and he is one of our most dangerous players in the opponents half.
I hope we dont see him there again very often.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby metalhead » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
metalhead wrote:

He cant be allowed to be sitting in front of the back 4 picking the ball up of the centre halves.
Its a waste of his talents.
He doesnt have the right decision making ability to carry out the role. Often picking the wrong time to pass short and long etc.
Also obviously he offers no goal threat there and he is one of our most dangerous players in the opponents half.
I hope we dont see him there again very often.

depends on what role he plays as a CM, could be a box to box role, in which he can do everything and go forward and defend at the same time. We have seen him at his best box to box, but I agree I don't want to see him play so deep and picking the ball from the center halves, that was Alonso's role.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion