Tactics, philosophy, formation, etc...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:05 pm

I would like to see this next game

Reina

Wisdom                   Skrtel              Agger                     Jonno

Lucas       Gerrard             Hendo

Suarez            Sturridge             Borini
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:12 pm

stmichael » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:03 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:59 pm wrote:
stmichael » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:52 pm wrote:amazing coincidence that we look more potent with 3 strikers on the pitch and we increase the tempo and start to press. the lack of urgency and pressing in the first half was cowardly.

Yeah, it's Brendans plan B, unfortunately we have to be 2-0 down before it's implemented.

the first manager ever to have no plan a  :D

plan B worked very well of the last 45 mins.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:20 pm

we threw 3 points away there, we picked the most negative midfield we`ve got to try and contain probably the weakest man united side we`ve played against in a quarter of a century.
look at their midfield today - carrick, cleverly, young and kawaga.....i bet liverpool players of the recent past who had to line up against the likes of keane, ince, giggs and kanchelskis or later on the likes of scholes, beckham, ronaldo and giggs wished they had played against a united midfield like that in their day.
even their defence, ferdinand and evra are way past their best and vidic has been out a year with a cruciate injury, their keeper is always likely to flap at a cross or drop a clanger as well. we werent playing against the japp stams, gary pallisters and peter schmeichels who conceded a goal every blue moon today.
rodgers has done well in recent weeks but he blew that game the moment he handed in our teamsheet.
i`m convinced if he would have had started with sturridge instead of sterling and hendo instead of allen we`d have won today and thrown the race for fourth and the title race wide open.
frustrating as f##k!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:30 pm

personally i'd have played sturridge from the start but everything's easier in hindsight. sterling has been poor for a while now and looks out on his feet.

henderson must also wonder what the hell he has to do to get a run in the side. been probably our most consistent midfielder in recent weeks when he's played.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Not fussed that Sturridge didn't start. I can understand that.

But how Allen got pipped for a starting position ahead of Henderson (who has shown some kind of form *at last*) is just criminal.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:47 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm wrote:we threw 3 points away there, we picked the most negative midfield we`ve got to try and contain probably the weakest man united side we`ve played against in a quarter of a century.
look at their midfield today - carrick, cleverly, young and kawaga.....i bet liverpool players of the recent past who had to line up against the likes of keane, ince, giggs and kanchelskis or later on the likes of scholes, beckham, ronaldo and giggs wished they had played against a united midfield like that in their day.
even their defence, ferdinand and evra are way past their best and vidic has been out a year with a cruciate injury, their keeper is always likely to flap at a cross or drop a clanger as well. we werent playing against the japp stams, gary pallisters and peter schmeichels who conceded a goal every blue moon today.
rodgers has done well in recent weeks but he blew that game the moment he handed in our teamsheet.
i`m convinced if he would have had started with sturridge instead of sterling and hendo instead of allen we`d have won today and thrown the race for fourth and the title race wide open.
frustrating as f##k!

Don't know if we actually threw 3 points away but agree with the general sentiment of your post. We could deffo have got something out of the game if the team selection had been more positive from the start.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:53 pm

in fairness it is frustrating as hell that's we've gone there 3 years in a row now under 3 different managers and not started playing until we've gone 2-0 down.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Kenny Kan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:33 pm wrote:Not fussed that Sturridge didn't start. I can understand that.

Maybe you could explain it to me then ? Concerns about fitness aside I'm at a loss as to why he was left on the bench and brought on only when the game was virtually out of sight.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:02 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:33 pm wrote:Not fussed that Sturridge didn't start. I can understand that.

Maybe you could explain it to me then ? Concerns about fitness aside I'm at a loss as to why he was left on the bench and brought on only when the game was virtually out of sight.

It's fitness and nothing else.  The guy hasn't played regular football for months and it's easy to pick up injuries after something like that.

Throwing him in for a full on 90 mins against manure is asking for trouble and I agree with BR for not taking the gamble
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:16 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:25 pm wrote:

Throwing him in for a full on 90 mins against manure is asking for trouble and I agree with BR for not taking the gamble

But using a lightweight kid that has barely turned 18 and not played well for months is no gamble?
I cant see that using Sturridge is more of a gamble than a number of other players in the team.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:28 pm

mart

But using a lightweight kid that has barely turned 18 and not played well for months is no gamble?
I cant see that using Sturridge is more of a gamble than a number of other players in the team.

indeed, i think it was more of a risk playing him for an hour on a first world war battlefield against a team regarded as the stoke of the conference.
he`s had another weeks training since then too.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:33 pm

I wish they would stop fannying about with the ball at the back and putting ourselves
under presssure.

Sometimes its fine to knock it down the side, win a throw and play your football in that
half of the field.

At Old Trafford today I was more concerned when our own player Reina had the ball at
his feet than when United were moving with it through midfield.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:49 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm wrote:

It's fitness and nothing else.  The guy hasn't played regular football for months and it's easy to pick up injuries after something like that.

if he wasnt able for the 90 then he could have been subbed after 60 if it turned out that he was struggling.
these lads are professional footballers ffs and even though he wasnt playing for chelsea he still would be looking after himself and playing for the reserves. if you had of said match sharpness id tend to agree but fitness :oh:  no way.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 pm

parchpea » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:33 pm wrote:I wish they would stop fannying about with the ball at the back and putting ourselves
under presssure.

Sometimes its fine to knock it down the side, win a throw and play your football in that
half of the field.

At Old Trafford today I was more concerned when our own player Reina had the ball at

thats his philosophy and its never going to change.
i agree we tend to overpass it and get ourselves into trouble but that isnt the biggest issue i have with it, its how pedestrian and slow we are to bring it forward is what kills me.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:52 pm

parchpea » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:33 pm wrote:I wish they would stop fannying about with the ball at the back and putting ourselves
under presssure.

half of the field.

yeah, i was convinced we were going to gift them a goal when they pressed us high up the pitch and we were trying to play our way out.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion