Tactics, philosophy, formation, etc...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:43 pm

Aye, but it will be worth it, if it pays off.

This false number 9 only works when you are playing against inferior opposition or when you have a team full of class footballers, we're playing West Ham who tore Chelsea to shreds and were unlucky to lose against Manchester United and we do not have a team full of top class footballers.

Morgan or Yesil to start up front with Sterling next to either player and Shelvey just behind.

------------------Reina-----------------------
Johnson---Agger----Skrtel-----Enrique---
------------Allen------Sahin-----------------
---------------Shelvey--------------------
----Sterling-------------Morgan/Yesil-------
Boxscarf

Postby JC_81 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 pm

For the West Ham game I'd play Shelvey up top again. Looked dodgy when i saw the team sheet for the Europa game with him up front but he played the role well. He scored a goal, had a good presence and showed some good touches to bring others into play.

Adam Morgan has also impressed me in the U21s this year. I always doubted his ability to play outside the box and bring others into play but Borrell has played him wide in a front 3 this season which i think has really improved this aspect of his game. He should at least be on the bench.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:10 pm

yeah morgan scored again today for the under 21's from out wide again. certainly knows where the goal is. natural finisher.

the other option of course is to play gerrard up top as he's our best finisher in the squad. he'd also hardly been pulling up any trees in midfield until the weekend when i thought he had his best game of the season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:26 pm

stmichael » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:10 pm wrote:yeah morgan scored again today for the under 21's from out wide again. certainly knows where the goal is. natural finisher.

the other option of course is to play gerrard up top as he's our best finisher in the squad. he'd also hardly been pulling up any trees in midfield until the weekend when i thought he had his best game of the season.

Stevie, Best finisher??? Do you mean this season or a couple of years ago? Stevie is way past his best and we need to phase him out like we are Carra.
heimdall

Postby JC_81 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Playing Gerrard up front isn't as ridiculous as it might sound. I actually suggested it at the start of the season. However the rate of his decline has been so drastic that i think he's too slow on the turn to be effective there now. He's lost that burst of speed and power over the first few yards unfortunately.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:20 pm

john craig » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm wrote:Playing Gerrard up front isn't as ridiculous as it might sound. I actually suggested it at the start of the season. However the rate of his decline has been so drastic that i think he's too slow on the turn to be effective there now. He's lost that burst of speed and power over the first few yards unfortunately.

His rate of decline didn't begin this season, this has been a few good years in the making. Gerrard still shows flashes of brilliance in matches, great passes etc, but he also allows mistakes to creep into his game, time and time again this season he has misplaced passes up field which result in a counter-attack, it cost us against Arsenal and it could have cost us against Spurs last week.

I think Gerrard should have a stint on the substitutes bench, I'd much rather see Jonjo Shelvey more involved in our matches.
Boxscarf

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:59 pm

I think Gerrard should have a stint on the substitutes bench, I'd much rather see Jonjo Shelvey more involved in our matches.   

Now that's a case of being caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:59 pm wrote:

That's a bit harsh, Shelvey has the potential to be a very good player and I think dropping Gerrard would be good for the team and for him. I don't think he can continue to play two-to-three matches in a week anymore like he used to, age catches up with everyone, that includes Gerrard. I do think it is time to phase Gerrard out of the first-team. We can use him sparingly like we do with Carragher.
Boxscarf

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 pm

Boxscarf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:07 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:59 pm wrote:

That's a bit harsh, Shelvey has the potential to be a very good player and I think dropping Gerrard would be good for the team and for him. I don't think he can continue to play two-to-three matches in a week anymore like he used to, age catches up with everyone, that includes Gerrard. I do think it is time to phase Gerrard out of the first-team. We can use him sparingly like we do with Carragher.

Shelvey's had this "potential" ever since he was at Charlton it would be nice to see it come to fruition at some point in life.

My bet is, it won't, he won't get any better, he won't suddenly turn into Gerrard the 2nd over night.

This Shelvey talk is a classic case of Rose tinted-overating a player-with myopic view-because he plays for Liverpool.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 pm wrote:
Shelvey's had this "potential" ever since he was at Charlton it would be nice to see it come to fruition at some point in life.

My bet is, it won't, he won't get any better, he won't suddenly turn into Gerrard the 2nd over night.

This Shelvey talk is a classic case of Rose tinted-overating a player-with myopic view-because he plays for Liverpool.

Shelvey is 20 years old, for goodness sakes. Just because he's been a bit hit and miss at times thoroughout his career doesn't mean he won't become a very good footballer for us and what's with the comparison to Gerrard? I'm not being funny, but Gerrard is a once in a generation footballer, I doubt we'll get another Steven Gerrard for another twenty odd years, it's unfair to expect Shelvey to become the next Steven Gerrard.

You're just constantly negative, you should change your username to 'Negative Nancy', that would be more akin to your personality.
Boxscarf

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:32 pm

Boxscarf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm wrote:

Shelvey is 20 years old, for goodness sakes. Just because he's been a bit hit and miss at times thoroughout his career doesn't mean he won't become a very good footballer for us and what's with the comparison to Gerrard? I'm not being funny, but Gerrard is a once in a generation footballer, I doubt we'll get another Steven Gerrard for another twenty odd years, it's unfair to expect Shelvey to become the next Steven Gerrard.

You're just constantly negative, you should change your username to 'Negative Nancy', that would be more akin to your personality.

More realist and optimist when appropriate.

If it walks like a duck and swims like a duck, sounds like a duck then it's a f.ucking duck - not an eagle.

So, unless you can debate the point without the added use of ad homs, I suggest you politely f.uck off.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:07 pm

I have faith in Rodgers and he has tremendous faith in Shelvey, that will do for me.

Shelvey to me looks like a great player just waiting to find his confidence, he is improving all the time and I predict that next season will be a massive season for him.
heimdall

Postby mart » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:32 pm wrote:If it walks like a duck and swims like a duck, sounds like a duck then it's a f.ucking duck - not an eagle.

Lucas used to be the scapegoat for a lot of people on this forum, now he is one of our best players.

Shelvey has some talent and might become a good player for us, but yes atm he is not that great, but neither is most of the rest of our team.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Boxscarf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:43 pm wrote:

Aye, but it will be worth it, if it pays off.

This false number 9 only works when you are playing against inferior opposition or when you have a team full of class footballers, we're playing West Ham who tore Chelsea to shreds and were unlucky to lose against Manchester United and we do not have a team full of top class footballers.

Morgan or Yesil to start up front with Sterling next to either player and Shelvey just behind.

------------------Reina-----------------------
Johnson---Agger----Skrtel-----Enrique---
------------Allen------Sahin-----------------
---------------Shelvey--------------------
----Sterling-------------Morgan/Yesil-------

tore chelsea to shreds? they should have been 3-0 down at half time, got an equaliser that was a foul and then after that torres missed two sitters and they hit the post.

the more i think about it, the more i think he'll play sterling up top through the middle. after that i think he'll give him a rest as he's looked knackered recently from being overplayed.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:32 pm wrote:
Boxscarf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm wrote:

More realist and optimist when appropriate.

If it walks like a duck and swims like a duck, sounds like a duck then it's a f.ucking duck - not an eagle.

So, unless you can debate the point without the added use of ad homs, I suggest you politely f.uck off.

With a quack quack here and a quack quack there
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion