Tactics, philosophy, formation, etc...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Our striking department is a problem though and how Rodgers define Suarez'es role, as much as Suarez is talented, will be crucial to our success...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:14 pm

I genuinly think all that is missing is a quality striker or 2, can you guys imagine if we had an Rush/Aldridge/Owen/Fowler/Torres type striker at the moment, we'd be scoring for fun and would be right at the top of the league.
Overall I think we are moving in the right direction and the future is looking very bright indeed.
heimdall

Postby Redtribe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 pm

Definitely think we are moving in the right direction.

If we bought some other quality strikers how do we inorporate Suarez into the team?
He's a great player but unconventional!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:03 pm

heimdall » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:14 pm wrote:I genuinly think all that is missing is a quality striker or 2, can you guys imagine if we had an Rush/Aldridge/Owen/Fowler/Torres type striker at the moment, we'd be scoring for fun and would be right at the top of the league.
Overall I think we are moving in the right direction and the future is looking very bright indeed.

Despite the potential animosity towards him, I think it was a mistake not to move for Owne on a pay to play deal in the summer.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:31 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:03 pm wrote:
heimdall » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:14 pm wrote:I genuinly think all that is missing is a quality striker or 2, can you guys imagine if we had an Rush/Aldridge/Owen/Fowler/Torres type striker at the moment, we'd be scoring for fun and would be right at the top of the league.

Despite the potential animosity towards him, I think it was a mistake not to move for Owne on a pay to play deal in the summer.

owen is injured again! missing from last week vs stoke. will be looking forward to rogers giving morgan or ngoo a chance.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:53 am

For games like Stoke who arent really bothered about attacking us i really think we should play a 3-5-2 Formation

Reina
       Skrtel    Coates     Agger

Sahin    Allen
Johnson                              Enrique
                Gerrard

Borini            Suarez

Commit more bodys further forward. With the insurace of a great back 3 plus Johnson and enrique have pace to get back

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:14 pm

LFC1990 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:53 am wrote:For games like Stoke who arent really bothered about attacking us i really think we should play a 3-5-2 Formation

Reina
       Skrtel    Coates     Agger

Sahin    Allen
Johnson                              Enrique
                Gerrard

Borini            Suarez

Commit more bodys further forward. With the insurace of a great back 3 plus Johnson and enrique have pace to get back

we played 3 at the back against them last season at anfield mate and the exact opposite happened, we became more defensive.
because of their ariel threat kenny brought coates in to partner carragher and skrtel at the back, johnson and enrique played as wing backs and kuyt was up front on his own (suarez was banned and carroll was out of favour at the time), the game was awful, probably one of the dullest of last season. we managed 1 attempt on target the entire game.
the game took place in the middle of january last season, at the time i remember fans grumbling because this result left us in 6th position, 3 points off a CL place and 13 points behind table toppers city who had just beaten us 3-0 the game before.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 am

Only 15 goals in 2012 at home and 4 of them came in a pointless match against Chelsea, that's 8 months of football, 15 matches at Anfield.

In terms of philosophy we have to get more men forward in the penalty area still. For that reason Shelvey has to get more of a look in. Sahin isn't doing it at the moment.

We miss Johnson so much as an attacking threat.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:45 pm

the extent to which we miss lucas can't be overemphasised. it's criminal that we still haven't got a proper back up for him.

as it stands we need to look at possibly changing the personnel, as for me, 5 out of our current front 6 aren't playing in their best roles within the team set up. sahin has struggled recently as he's playing a completely different role to what he did at dortmund. allen looks like he's played too many games already and isn't an out and out replacement for lucas. we also aren't getting the best out of gerrard and i'd consider playing him on the right of the front three instead of suso. i like suso but he's not ready to be a first team regular imo.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:24 pm

stmichael » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:45 pm wrote:the extent to which we miss lucas can't be overemphasised. it's criminal that we still haven't got a proper back up for him.

as it stands we need to look at possibly changing the personnel, as for me, 5 out of our current front 6 aren't playing in their best roles within the team set up. sahin has struggled recently as he's playing a completely different role to what he did at dortmund. allen looks like he's played too many games already and isn't an out and out replacement for lucas. we also aren't getting the best out of gerrard and i'd consider playing him on the right of the front three instead of suso. i like suso but he's not ready to be a first team regular imo.

i agree mate but i dont think we should be expecting miracles from lucas when he returns, he`s had over a year out of the game and after picking up back to back serious injuries i think he`s going to need to rebuild his confidence.
he`s going to be very wary of getting injured again.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:43 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:24 pm wrote:
stmichael » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:45 pm wrote:the extent to which we miss lucas can't be overemphasised. it's criminal that we still haven't got a proper back up for him.

i agree mate but i dont think we should be expecting miracles from lucas when he returns, he`s had over a year out of the game and after picking up back to back serious injuries i think he`s going to need to rebuild his confidence.
he`s going to be very wary of getting injured again.

Agreed. I can't see Lucas stepping back into the team and making a massive impact this season.  It's going to take him time.  It's a bit like the pundits creaming themselves over Wilshere's return recently - he's been out for 17 months FFS!  It's going to be a while before he's anywhere near his best.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:49 pm

so what would you do on sunday if you were rodgers with no suarez?

options include playing shelvey up there as a "false 9" like he did against young boys to good effect. he could also play sterling through the middle with gerrard trying to get close to him.

can't see yesil or ngoo getting the nod but one of them has to be on the bench surely?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:14 pm

I'd throw in Adam Morgan.
Boxscarf

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Boxscarf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:14 pm wrote:I'd throw in Adam Morgan.

controversial  :p
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:32 pm

stmichael » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:49 pm wrote:so what would you do on sunday if you were rodgers with no suarez?

options include playing shelvey up there as a "false 9" like he did against young boys to good effect. he could also play sterling through the middle with gerrard trying to get close to him.

can't see yesil or ngoo getting the nod but one of them has to be on the bench surely?

I'd shift it to 4-4-2 and play Yesil and Sterling up front, and have Morgan and N'Goo in reserve. I'd also have Shelvey and/or Stevie playing quite close to the strikers and pray for a miracle.
heimdall

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion