Tactics, philosophy, formation, etc...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Not a bad read this;

King Kenny's 3-6-1 Liverpool Formation: A Tactical Analysis
By Martin McGinnis (Contributor)

Liverpool PhotosSince Kenny Dalglish took over, the burning question on many soccer panels lips was "Is he too long out of the game?" I think that questions has been answered by Liverpool's overturn in fortunes and even amongst Liverpool fans who believe that Liverpool can still finish fourth. A big part of the success of Dalglish has been his unorthodox 3-6-1 formation.

In the following article, I will outline the reason it seems to be working so well for the current personnel at Liverpool and can it be, a future formation for Dalglish to continue with.

3-6-1

Users

Australia WC 2006, South Korea WC 2002, USA WC 98, German Clubs

Strengths

Compact but also provides width, can be used attacking and defensively, offside trap works more effectively with three defenders rather than four therefore cutting individual mistakes out, two midfielders can roam freely to find space, opposition players find it hard to track whose attacking, can dominate possession in midfield

Weakness

Clogs Midfield, striker can become isolated, requires a lot of fitness, opponents can play three strikers against it, long ball tactics can be effective in countering it.

The 3-6-1 is what I like to call a freedom tactic. It can be used both attacking and defensively. Another example of the freedom tactic is the 4-3-3; used so well by Barcelona as an attacking team whilst Mourinho's Chelsea used it so effectively as a defensive tactic.

The 3-6-1 is all about the midfield, if, like Dalglish, the team uses it as a means to control the game with possession and short passes. The midfield is responsible for both attacking and defensive phrases of play.  This section requires high amounts of work rate, fitness and game intelligence. It probably shows why Kenny substitutes at least one midfielder a game.  In the recent draw at Wigan, Dalglish said the team were lacking that bite because of Wednesday's internationals. That argument is very true as this formation requires players to be in tip top condition.

Defense

The three-man defence is also an important section of this formation. With Liverpool's personnel, you have Agger, Carragher and Skrtel. Agger, a ball-playing defender, is very important to the building from the back philosophy of the formation. He is responsible for bringing the ball out of the defense and starting Liverpool's attack. Agger almost is like an extra defensive midfielder beside Lucas.

Carragher and Skrtel are responsible for the clearing up of danger and the general sweeping of danger. Carragher, with his organisational skills and leadership, is quite important to keeping the other two defenders on their toes and making sure they are all in sync.

Wing Backs

The wing backs are the sole providers of width in the formation although Maxi and Kuyt tend to tuck out to provide help, Johnson and Kelly have a massive task in both attacking and defense phases of play, but more so the attacking phase. Their duties include having to track opposing wingers and also provide support to the lone striker and midfield. This makes Kelly's recent performances all the more impressive.

Midfield

The main numbers are in the center of midfield, but with Dalglish giving his midfield license to roam, it provides a perfect platform to both Gerrard and Meireles to roam into space and use their creative talents higher up the field while Lucas holds the fort. Lucas' performances have also improved as the passing game that Dalglish has implemented is a tactic that suits Lucas type of play.

The most noteworthy performer in midfield has been Raul. He has a high work rate, fitness and intelligence to find pockets of space. He is disciplined enough not to run around like a headless chicken, but has an uncanny ability to been in the box at the right time. He isn't afraid to track back and get in the opposing player's face.

Attacking

The main weakness of the formation is the lone striker (Kuyt). For it to be successful you need a complete striker which not many clubs have.  Coincidentally, Torres would have liked this formation, but Kuyt is an adequate replacement. He has high stamina, work rate and intelligence. Kuyt shifts right to receive the ball and provide link up with Gerrard and Kelly. He also provides an aerial threat.

3-6-1 Future?

I think we have not seen the last of the formation under Kenny this season. It could very well be a formation that is used with Carroll and Suarez, and I can see it be used in away games where we are better then the home team.

Unfortunately, until the summer we can only speculate on what Dalglish's long-term plans are for the formation. This formation does not accommodate wingers very well, so if Liverpool are in for wingers this summer, then I expect it won't be Dalglish's formation of choice.

Dalglish has shown a high level of tactical knowledge by creating a formation that masks the weakness of his team personnel and puts their strengths to use. Rafa liked hard-working and fitness-based players with a little creative guile in attacking positions. This formation is perfectly suited to that belief while with Liverpool's lack of wingers still provides width when needed.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:55 pm

I see some people were hysterical when Ngog was subbed for Skrtel.  I thought it was a good sub but too late.  This formation does work well for us.

Great read Scott.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:03 pm

One thing I would say is I wish that we'd stop simply setting out to stop the other team playing or trying to keep a clean sheet away from home in Europe. Away goals make such a difference in Europe and we can't keep relying on digging out a result at home to get us through. The away games in Europe this season have been utterly turgid to watch and we haven't looked like scoring in a month of Sundays in any of them to be fair. Now we're in the dangerous situation whereby one daft mistake and we'll be needing to score three to go through.

As i said in the game thread, I don't see why we need Lucas AND Spearing/Poulsen sitting in this game when we're at home. Surely we can drop Mereiles back in there and play Cole and Maxi further forward? I just don't see this happening though. Judging by the fact that Spearing did the press conference I presume he's starting.

If we progress further though we'll need to take a much more positive approach though, especially away from home. Hopefully Gerrard will be back by then.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:31 pm

We need to set up a higher tempo at home in europe, similar to what Rafa used to do when we played at anfield.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:14 pm

stmichael wrote:One thing I would say is I wish that we'd stop simply setting out to stop the other team playing or trying to keep a clean sheet away from home in Europe. Away goals make such a difference in Europe and we can't keep relying on digging out a result at home to get us through. The away games in Europe this season have been utterly turgid to watch and we haven't looked like scoring in a month of Sundays in any of them to be fair. Now we're in the dangerous situation whereby one daft mistake and we'll be needing to score three to go through.

As i said in the game thread, I don't see why we need Lucas AND Spearing/Poulsen sitting in this game when we're at home. Surely we can drop Mereiles back in there and play Cole and Maxi further forward? I just don't see this happening though. Judging by the fact that Spearing did the press conference I presume he's starting.

If we progress further though we'll need to take a much more positive approach though, especially away from home. Hopefully Gerrard will be back by then.

Usually I would say it's a mentality thing thats been carried over from the Hodge's reign. After all we played very hmm.. unattractive football in the first half of this season's Europa cup. But I actually don't believe this to be the case in this instance because like all reds I have seen enough to suggest (in the league) that we're truly capable with a... hmm... 'limited' choice of players to put in sterling performances of good football.

We tore the Mancs and new one beat Chelsea at the Bridge and they were good performances, mind you we lost to West Ham and drew with Wigan. Which leads me to believe our lads at the moment seem to be ''game raising'' professionals. I think Kenny and Clarke (bless em) have still got a fair bit to do here, because we're at times playing like a 'small club' mentality, only giving it our all to our old rivals like Mancs and Chavs.

I don't even think Roy instilled the belief to get our players to raise their game when he was here, well not often enough. So Kenny has got to find that consistency - and his job is made harder as was Roy's because he'll be lucky to get top quality performances week in week from some of our averages graders who are in the squad and team; that can be no easy feat.

Roll on summer, rid the deadwood and ''build'' again.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Kenny Kan wrote:
stmichael wrote:One thing I would say is I wish that we'd stop simply setting out to stop the other team playing or trying to keep a clean sheet away from home in Europe. Away goals make such a difference in Europe and we can't keep relying on digging out a result at home to get us through. The away games in Europe this season have been utterly turgid to watch and we haven't looked like scoring in a month of Sundays in any of them to be fair. Now we're in the dangerous situation whereby one daft mistake and we'll be needing to score three to go through.

Usually I would say it's a mentality thing thats been carried over from the Hodge's reign. After all we played very hmm.. unattractive football in the first half of this season's Europa cup. But I actually don't believe this to be the case in this instance because like all reds I have seen enough to suggest (in the league) that we're truly capable with a... hmm... 'limited' choice of players to put in sterling performances of good football.

We tore the Mancs and new one beat Chelsea at the Bridge and they were good performances, mind you we lost to West Ham and drew with Wigan. Which leads me to believe our lads at the moment seem to be ''game raising'' professionals. I think Kenny and Clarke (bless em) have still got a fair bit to do here, because we're at times playing like a 'small club' mentality, only giving it our all to our old rivals like Mancs and Chavs.

I don't even think Roy instilled the belief to get our players to raise their game when he was here, well not often enough. So Kenny has got to find that consistency - and his job is made harder as was Roy's because he'll be lucky to get top quality performances week in week from some of our averages graders who are in the squad and team; that can be no easy feat.

Roll on summer, rid the deadwood and ''build'' again.

It's a decent point.

It's almost as if we've fallen into the trap of trying to play a Continental style of football instead of playing an English style game which has a much higher tempo. Our build up play is far too slow and ponderous and the general movement of the side has been poor. Just having Suarez available would give us and extra 15-20% instantly, especially in Gerrard's absence. Hopefully Carroll will start tonight and really put it up them as they showed enough in the first leg to convince me that they can't handle him.

If you watched us under Rafa, yes we played a Continental style at times away from home but in several games at home the opponents just couldn't hope. The first half against Juventus in 2005 was just sensational stuff, as was Real Madrid in 2009. Hell you could even add in Barcelona in 2007 when we should have been 3-0 up at half time. In all those games we showed quality, but almost as importantly, we played at a tempo which the opposition just couldn't match.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ethanr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:33 pm

I felt a similar way about the away games.  If we sit back and defend, we have to really play well at Anfield, which usually isn't an issue.  Unfortunately this year, we have had a decent amount of injuries and players not playing during the home leg, and it's obviously caused us problems.  It is a mentality type of thing.  The squad need to know how important this game is.  If we can step up and play how were capable, Braga won't have a fighting chance.  We need to go out attacking with Meireles playing further forward and instantly put pressure on them.  Start the game with pressure and make sure it stays that way the whole time.  They won't have a choice but to concede 3 or 4 goals if we can keep the ball on their side of the pitch for most the game.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby PabloAimar » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 am

probably going to get shot down for this but have been discussing it since the last round...

i don't think kenny is tactically astute enough to ever be successful in europe. (luckily?...) we won't be in europe next season and he IS the man to make us a success in the league again.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:10 am

I think weve got to be realistic.
Without Suarez and Gerrard (a creator and a leader by example) we cannot break teams down
Thommo's perm

Postby The Good Yank » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:26 am

For all of the complaints about hoofball etc, the one question I have is, aside from going to 5 at the back, which is the only thing we have seen in two years to give us any width, what other option is there?  Our midfielders / lack of wingers as well, are IMO the main cause of "hoofing".  Without a midfielder who can make some sort of space for himself to give time to pick out a decent forward pass, they then pass it back to the Cb's and in turn the CB's hoof it up.

I'm not saying I want to see hoofball, I'm just playing devil's advocate, what other option is there.

IMO for the rest of the season I'd like to see us go back to having 5 at the back, I think given the current squad, it is needed to add another outlet for the CM's in getting the ball up the pitch.  Not only does it offer an outlet, but it also creates other options by making the defending team spread out a bit more which will enable more options in the middle of the park for getting forward.

In other words, I don't see 5 at the back for us being a "defensive" setup.  IMO I think it's our best attacking option given the limits our midfielders have.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:19 am

Usually one of the central midfielders drops back to recieve the ball from defence (watch Alonso for an exemplary meaning) and play is built from there. I did see Lucas coming short for the pass on a few occassions aswell last night, Meireles not so much. Sometimes though you do get 'hoofers' in the game playing CB and Carra has become one unfortunately, where the midfield is literally bypassed with long balls. But for example without a player like Suarez in the side (a player we've been crying out for years for) sometimes the more direct route, long passing, hopeful balls, hollywood balls and hoofing become the norm because not many of our lads are willing and especially able to come short, recieve it, turn and attack the oppo. I don't think Lucas is anywhere near as good at passing or pulling the strings in midfield as Xabi is but that's not the point because the lad has started to show his willingness to make 'positive' passes in the oppo's half. I think Xabi himself would have a hell of a heard task in 'getting things going' with the mob we've got. And Carra being the bloke he is would probably still bypass a player like Alonso anyway, especially if Carra can see that Alonso/Lucas isn't getting any joy through the passing method. As you said, the wide men are essential to playing football as is desired because a good wide player will, make space, run into space, show for the ball, pass and move, and take a man on.

At the moment we've either got non-existent Maxi pad, flying Kuyt or porky Cole playing the wider roles, when Suarez isn't playing. None of them do their job effectively enough for the likes of Lucas, Gerrard or Merieles even to build a decent attack. This is in stark contrast to what we saw against the Mancs as some of the football and movement that day was exceptional one touch stuff, but overall said blokes are way to static and don't seem to have the convinction to 'have a go' at the oppo, even Johnson was indifferent last night.

Carra's Carra though, a lead foot merchant and the worse thing IMO we could ever have done in re to Carra's game is stick a six-foot oath uptop because Carroll must look like a bullseye target to Carra and he only has tunnel vision at the best of times, now with an open invitation to lump it, it's gonna be frustrating as feck to watch. The only thing/peopler who is able to calm Carra's twitching right boot is Suarez and Gerrard IMO, the two blokes that weren't playing. The Urugyuan needs it into feet more than launched over the top and if Carra's got any sense he'll use his midfield (Gerrard/Lucas) appropriately to get that round ball of leather to the feet of Suarez, otherwise its route 1 stuff to Soto Carroll. :(
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:09 pm

We can talk about formations all we want but at the end of the day formation is the template for a strategy, not its entirety. There are a variety of different factors when it comes to tactical set-ups, and formation is a big one, without being the be all and end all.

Foe example a simple 4-4-2 becomes something completely different when you give a few players individual instructions, for instance telling one of the strikers to drop off into the space between midfield and attack. In that situation you could argue the formation is now 4-4-1-1.

It'll be interesting to see how we set up for the remainder of the season when Gerrard comes back. Certainly until he does I can see us playing 4-4-2.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:35 pm

stmichael wrote:Foe example a simple 4-4-2 becomes something completely different when you give a few players individual instructions, for instance telling one of the strikers to drop off into the space between midfield and attack. In that situation you could argue the formation is now 4-4-1-1.

i dunno if you play a 4-4-2 with 2 recognised strikers on the pitch up front with 1 dropping deep to feed off the other is imo a 4-4-2.always was always will be.
now if we played a 4-4-2 with 1 recognised striker and say merieles sitting off him then it would be classed as a 4-4-1-1.

our problem with playing a 4-4-2 is that we have no pace in the players or the play.slow build ups that hardly make it to the final third of the field then we result in hoofing it there because we put ourselves under pressure with our side and back passing.
we are our own worst enemy on the field.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Kerry07 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Kenny is a 4-4-2 man...and Gerrard doesnt fit into a 4-4-2 system (unless u play him on the right as in 2005/06). The Blackburn midfield (Ripley/Batty/Sherwood/Wilcox) is the template Kenny looks for..good width/crossing, and a solid midfield.

Kenny will be cursing the fact he cannot sign anyone to implement his methods. Hes a great coach, and his inspirational presence has lifted the club... but lucas is still lucas..spearing is still spearing. Wish August would come around sooner so we can finally see Kenny's team. The most interesting will be who he signs for central mid. Charlie Adam while better than anything we have, is not the calibre of player who will get us worrying the top 4.
"Its not just any other club" C.Tyldsley
"Liverpool are a special institution" X.Alonso
"Anfield es un templo de fútbol" AS
"The English club prove miracles do exist" D.Maradona
"Theres not one club in the world so united with its fans. Liverpool fans sent shivers down my spine" J.Cruyff
Kerry07

Postby Rush Job » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Well in some ways its a good job we are not in the CL next season because the way kenny has been approaching games in europe against sides who we should be looking to dominate from the off I wouldnt see us even qualifying from one of the easier groups.
He really let himself and us down the way he set us up to play in europe IMO.
If we do get into the europa next season someone needs to have a word or many fans might well die of boredom. How many shots on target did we have over the two legs? 2? 3 max.
I dont mind going out but not like that.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion