Keane speaks

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 pm

I was very sad to see Keane leave, because i think he could have developed into a great LFC player. Personally, I think the treatment he got was a disgrace
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:23 pm

s@int wrote:The only debacle from my point of view is that we didn't sign a replacement. If Rafa realised that Keane wasn't what we needed , the best and only real course of action was to sell him asap (while the chance was there)

If Keane didn't like the way he was treated and thought he should be an automatic first choice, he did the right thing in leaving.

The ONLY thing in my view that spoiled a happy parting of the ways was the lack of a suitable or even credible replacement for him.

I never really rated Keane, and certainly not for the role he was supposedly going to play, and the price we paid. I do however think he was better than our alternatives once he had gone.

I don't think he has slated Rafa (so far) and I don't think Rafa has slated Keane and thats as it should be. I think the media would love to turn it into a slanging match if they could.

So my only real concern is the lack of a credible replacement and maybe Rafa's comment seemingly distancing himself from Keane's purchase while he was still a Liverpool player. 

If Rafa's decision to sell was based on securing his position rather than based on footballing reasons, that would be a huge concern as well.

Yeah that's the worst thing. Especially with that period Torres was out for who knows some extra firepower could have made the difference. I heard Rafa was trying to bring in someone in exchange for Keane and that he was even trying for that Kerrison but it didnt work out.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:04 pm

I rate Keane as a player for various qualities that he has on the pitch; but when it comes down to instinctive chances that must be taken, Keane is a mixed bag. He just seems to fluff too many premium opportunities that come his way, and it's one thing that frustrated the life out of me watching him in an Ireland Jersey.

I'm not so sure the selling of him was as big as a mistake as some would make out, though it is strange to axe a player that can get you the "odd" goal here and there, but Rafa obviously felt that we had players that could grab us the odd goal, and as S@int pointed out, he was never going to score 20 goals a season.

I think his partnership with Torres earlier in the season was enough to convince the manager that he needed to get shot of him ASAP. That, and possibly an off-record dispute sealed his fate. Another reason for me was the obvious chemistry of Gerrard and Torres. He's made up his mind on a system of playing Gerrard in the hole behind Torres as the second striker, and as has been seen, is an absolutely deadly combination that any team in the world struggles to deal with. Would we have done to United and Madrid if Keane had been playing up front with Torres? I seriously doubt it. Keane would be a success for us had we had a different manager that likes to play a 4-4-2 week-in-week-out, but as it was, Rafa's policy just isn't that linear.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:05 pm

It's wierd Emerald becasue Keane is a player who is at his best when playing on instinct but at times he just seems confused as to what to do. I wanted him to do well for us but wish him all the best. Sometimes things do not work out. He is not the first big player not to make it after a big move and he will not be the last.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:06 pm

Well, he didn't say anything new to me so no big deal.
Zidane

Postby Alex G. » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:10 pm

LegBarnes wrote:thats for me proves what I was speaking about is right that keane has to big an ego and rafa don't like that in his team fair play rafa get rid.

All the players have a big ego, and no one makes self criticism.

The player looks for his own interests but the manager looks for the club.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:11 pm

Deep down he must be so gutted it did not work out. Playing for his boyhood club, top 4, and in the champions league.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:23 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:
heimdall wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:I never rated Keane ,but I thought he showed a lot of humility when he left us in not slating the manager or the club ,It seems now he was just biding his time (disappointed and not just in his goalscoring capabilities ). :(

So can I take it then that you've never slagged off an ex-boss or exteacher etc. If that is true then you are saintly my friend because I can assure you everyone else in the world does so why shouldn't Keane?
If he has been screwed around by Rafa then why shouldn't he be allowed to have a say.
You see this is the kind of double standards that annoys me on this forum, Rafa leaks anything and everything to the news and that is OK but if Keane comes out and quite politely points out that he didn't see eye to eye with Rafa, which in all honstey comes as no big revelation to me, then he gets called a w@nker.
It must be great to be so fair and level headed as the vocal minority on this site!

Now that we are on the subject of annoying so enters, The psychic Norwegian ,listen fella everything you say lately irritates the life out of me ,thats why I usually do not reply to any of your inane posts ,so (For future reference may I ,politely of course suggest you ignore mine ) Its not a personal thing its just life is short, and I do not suffer fools     

Congratulations on not even attempting to answer my post. If you don't suffer fools gladly (to complete the phrase) then you must be full of self loathing so I pity you  :p  :rasp

If I irritate you already now then just wait, you haven't even been on my radar until just now.  :angry:  just kidding, but don't p1ss me off please. What exactly have I said lately to annoy you btw?
heimdall

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:57 am

s@int wrote:Not picking just pointing out the obvious flaws in your argument. :D

Lets not allow this to descend into a squabble ,been there done that remember ? and to be perfectly honest it done neither of us any favours ,I think if Im not mistaken we agreed to disagree ,so move on
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:00 am

redbeergoggles wrote:
s@int wrote:Not picking just pointing out the obvious flaws in your argument. :D

Lets not allow this to descend into a squabble ,been there done that remember ? and to be perfectly honest it done neither of us any favours ,I think if Im not mistaken we agreed to disagree ,so move on

I wasn't squabbling just disagreeing. I am quite happy to ignore your posts from now on. No problems.
account deleted by request

Postby Reg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:05 am

Hey - Keane speaks out on the day Rafa signs a new 4 year contract extension.

I see his timing is still [email]cr@p....[/email] :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:07 am

Sabre wrote:How much have we lost on the Keane-gate (besides time)?

I mean, right now what's the difference of the sell and the buy of Keane, are there potential future bonuses?

It is my understanding that we got a lot more (£16M) back for him than what was rumoured at the time (£12m) which represents a net loss of £3m-£5m in transfers (depending on what paper you read) + salary and bonuses.

So we probably lost a fair few quid!!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:21 am

Good, seen as I was ignoring yours with relative ease ,it was you who couldnt resist a little pop ,
so lets return to that state of mutually agreed silence .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:22 am

Reg wrote:Hey - Keane speaks out on the day Rafa signs a new 4 year contract extension.

I see his timing is still [email=cr@p....]cr@p....[/email] :laugh:

:D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:37 am

account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion