Keane speaks

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:13 pm

SundanceKid wrote:
Rockthekop wrote:Rafa made a huge mistake selling him when we had no quality cover in the striking department.

Who fecking cares? We have more goals than the rest of the league. You should be grateful the team doesn't have to burden Torres with the responsibility of winning every game.

Couldn't disagree more! Keane was a nuisance and not just of his own making. LFC made a serious mistake paying £20m or whatever the revised figure is according to the spin doctors. The suggestion is nearer £18m? In reality given that LFC won't have to pay the full £20m and as I understand it Spurs will have to pay up to £15m dependent on certain criteria and one of those was to not to get relegated which looks as if it has already been achieved given that Spurs are the top Premiership performers over the last six games. And yes during that very impressive period Keane has scored two goals and once again they were against some very poor opposition in Sunderland and Boro and lets face it one of the goals I could have scored!

We have got off lightly with what was one of LFC's worst value buys regardless of who was to blame!

Given what Keane achieved at Liverpool I seriously believe that the dressing room is a better place without him and that is beginning to shine through. Yes it was a risk selling him but only if you believe he was going to make a big difference if Torres was injured. Personally I don't subscribe to that somewhat ludicrous view.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby SundanceKid » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:48 pm

devaney wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:
Rockthekop wrote:Rafa made a huge mistake selling him when we had no quality cover in the striking department.

Who fecking cares? We have more goals than the rest of the league. You should be grateful the team doesn't have to burden Torres with the responsibility of winning every game.

Couldn't disagree more! Keane was a nuisance and not just of his own making. LFC made a serious mistake paying £20m or whatever the revised figure is according to the spin doctors. The suggestion is nearer £18m? In reality given that LFC won't have to pay the full £20m and as I understand it Spurs will have to pay up to £15m dependent on certain criteria and one of those was to not to get relegated which looks as if it has already been achieved given that Spurs are the top Premiership performers over the last six games. And yes during that very impressive period Keane has scored two goals and once again they were against some very poor opposition in Sunderland and Boro and lets face it one of the goals I could have scored!

We have got off lightly with what was one of LFC's worst value buys regardless of who was to blame!

Given what Keane achieved at Liverpool I seriously believe that the dressing room is a better place without him and that is beginning to shine through. Yes it was a risk selling him but only if you believe he was going to make a big difference if Torres was injured. Personally I don't subscribe to that somewhat ludicrous view.

I never said I valued Keane. Rockthekop says we made a mistake selling him since we're on a shortage of strikers. I says who cares about a shortage of strikers, we're still scoring goals.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby tubby » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:50 pm

If we had not been scoring many goals recently and had not caught up with utd people would be saying it's becasue we sold Keane and didn't bring in a replacement. The critics will always have something to say no matter what.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:14 pm

bavlondon wrote:If we had not been scoring many goals recently and had not caught up with utd people would be saying it's becasue we sold Keane and didn't bring in a replacement. The critics will always have something to say no matter what.

werent we missing goals when we drew all the games we did ?!
werent we missing a decent striker ?
just because we'r scoring now doesnt mean that selling keane was the right decision...
top spot ? now we most probably miss out on the league ... did it have anything to do with it ?
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:17 pm

Yes mate you are right but even when he did play he didn't score. Ok he scored a few but he missed so many other chances that he would have been expected to put away. At his age we paid too much anyway but Rafa had to sell him quick as in the summer no one might have paid that much. It was a risk that Rafa was willing to take. You can argue that we have dropped points as a result of lack of goals since but we are still more than in with a shout of winning the league.

Plus with Gerrard fitting in well in his role just behind Torres, the both of them are getting enough goals between them to get us by. I'm not saying we don't need another established striker but they should till the end of season.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:36 pm

bavlondon wrote:Yes mate you are right but even when he did play he didn't score. Ok he scored a few but he missed so many other chances that he would have been expected to put away. At his age we paid too much anyway but Rafa had to sell him quick as in the summer no one might have paid that much. It was a risk that Rafa was willing to take. You can argue that we have dropped points as a result of lack of goals since but we are still more than in with a shout of winning the league.

Plus with Gerrard fitting in well in his role just behind Torres, the both of them are getting enough goals between them to get us by. I'm not saying we don't need another established striker but they should till the end of season.

well... hes already been sold and we'v already dropped the points so whether we go on and score 5 or 50 goals in the remaining games doesnt or shouldnt matter much in the discussion... point is... he was here... we were top despite his shambolic displays and all his missed opportunities... he was sold.. torres injured... no strikers... we dropped points... now we'r scoring again... does that justify selling him ? what did we get for him anyways ? a couple of goals from him when we were drawing all those games could have meant us being top of the league now instead of ManUtd... its all ifs and buts ... still.. i dont think many would realistically argue that we would have been worse off if we kept him.. a few mill lost but a better chance at winning the fcker ? isnt that the whole point anyways ?
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:40 pm

I don't know the full story of why he was sold but I trust Rafa to do what is right for the club. Selling back a player you only bought 6 months ago is a huge thing so he must have had his reasons.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:59 pm

we paid over the odds for him... ddnt think he was what we needed and all that but anyways...
make it up for us in the summer rafa...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:26 am

SundanceKid wrote:
devaney wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:

I never said I valued Keane. Rockthekop says we made a mistake selling him since we're on a shortage of strikers. I says who cares about a shortage of strikers, we're still scoring goals.

Sorry Sundance - it was Rockthekop comments that I was disagreeing with!

As for February I don't think Keane can be blamed for everything but I certainly think that it took perhaps longer than it should have done to reorganise ourselves after he left. The Boro and City results wre just awful and down to terrible team performances. Don't think it would have made much difference with or without another striker.

One thing is for certain Rafa should approach every match as if he is potentially 10 points behind Man U with 10 matches to play. Bo.llux to the caution. It is boring and dangerous. Look at the number of times we had to come from behind to rescue results at the beginning of the season.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Sir Roger » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:20 am

Sabre wrote:Just a lil tip jay jay, don't tell the same joke many times a day :D

Anyhow, I think you got my point, what's interesting about you is what you might have to say about Liverpool, and our football. That's the part of you that interests me and most of the forum. That's the part in which you really should be interested on, not interchanging torpedoes with a fat spanish waiter who is not even a red, if you get my drift.

I don't care if you think I get things, I don't care if you don't regard me a fellow red, I don't care if you make an intelligence competition in  football forum (weird place for that).

It's your football discussion what is interesting. For instance, the throw ins. It was a football point. Bóllocks, but a football point. That's what is interesting about you, and I think you'll enjoy more the forum if you do that.

If you focus on the intelligence of posters or yours, in the you don't grasp something, in the blah blah blah, at some point before, say, 8 weeks you'll stumble with someone, start insulting, and you'll get banned. And you know what? your fellow reds won't give a fúck about it, because you disregarded their opinion.

THis is a friendly advice eh? He who warns is not a traitor.  :laugh: I won't continue this interchange of opinions, back to topic: Keane speaks. Of course, you might have the last word if you wish.

Noted
Thanks
:laugh:
By the way this isnt me having the last word...
:no
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Keane is but a distant memory.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Let´s be honest, no one team would have paid that amount of money for him in the summer. It was now or never. Tottenham needed him desperately and we could recover almost every money. I think it´s a clever decision.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:41 pm

devaney wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:

Devaney mate, stop being such a tart about "Keane being disruptive " etc....How in God's name do you - or anybody else on this forum - know that ?
I've gone on record many times here to say the way he was treated was an absolute disgrace and has beyond the shadow of a doubt, tainted my opinion of Benitez (who I still maintain is a spoiled brat.....just grown up...)
I don't think Rafa was fair to Keane, nor do I believe that irrespective of whether somebody else pulled the strings to get him into the club or not, that Keane was allowed time to settle and play the game he can play.
I fully believe he could have become a legend for Liverpool given the support from the manager, rather than being used as a pawn in the Parry vs. Benitez sideshow....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Alex G. » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:58 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:I fully believe he could have become a legend for Liverpool given the support from the manager, rather than being used as a pawn in the Parry vs. Benitez sideshow....

ha ha ha Keane....a legend?? hahahaa
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Alex G. wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:I fully believe he could have become a legend for Liverpool given the support from the manager, rather than being used as a pawn in the Parry vs. Benitez sideshow....

ha ha ha Keane....a legend?? hahahaa

What a very adult response from you there mate....
Now, put away your crayons and act like a grown-up....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion