Kaunas vs liverpool 1st leg - Pitch is very bad- will this effect us?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:37 am

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is expected to be fit to face Lithuanian minnows Kaunas in the Champions League second qualifying round on Tuesday.
Gerrard needed lengthy treatment after suffering an ankle injury late in a training session on Monday.

He received attention from Liverpool's doctor, but is likely to recover.

Peter Crouch and Mohamed Sissoko could make their competitive Liverpool debuts after arriving as part of boss Rafael Benitez's summer transfer recruitment.

Benitez is not expected to to risk playing Milan Baros and Jerzy Dudek to maximise their transfer value.

Steve Finnan (illness) and Djimi Traore (leg injury) are both doubts.

Otherwise Benitez will field his strongest side against the Lithuanian side, who are halfway through their own league programme.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Traore, Potter, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Gerrard, Hamann, Sissoko, Zenden, Le Tallec, Cisse, Crouch, Morientes, Carson, Warnock, Josemi, Medjani, Whitbread.

Gerrard is in the squad despite his injury. i would prefer us not to risk his injury and just play sissoko with xabi instead. if we played hamman and sissoko at the same time we might lack creativity going forward.

the pitch is apparently extremely poor ("javelling" throwing on it or something!  :D  ) which leads me to my next point. will the pitch effect the result tonight. before i was very confident that we would get a really good result at kaunas, but now i'm not sure. our passing game could be all down the drain if the pitch is that BAD. plus there is a risk many of our players getting injured this game considering the pitch quality and the fact that the kaunas players apparently are very dirty players (7 yellow cards in there last game!) doesn't help.

what do you think will be the outcome of the game?
score prediction? i think we will win 2-0.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:40 am

Tough palce to travel, poor pitch condition, I would be happy if we came away with a one goal win or even a draw and no injuries.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:45 am

No injuries is the key. the bad pitch will effect both teams, imo. LFC a little more so because they aren't used to it, but I am sure its not everyday they have javellin holes in the pitch, so they both will be affected.

Please please no injuries to anyone...

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:47 am

LFC #1 wrote:I would be happy if we came away with a one goal win or even a draw and no injuries.

Really??
i would be quite annoyed if we only win 1-0.
i expect at least 2 goals.
i know the pitch is very bad and everthing but were still liverpool football club for gods sake's!

:D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:51 am

Yes but you have to remember we are playing in a country where most of our lads would never have played before. Also the fact that Kaunas are a complete unknown to us and will more than likely try and play a very physical game and sit most of their men behind the ball trying to stop us scoring a few goals.

1-0 would be a good result, as we will definitely have no trouble at Anfield.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_Rob » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:59 am

LFC #1 wrote:Yes but you have to remember we are playing in a country where most of our lads would never have played before. Also the fact that Kaunas are a complete unknown to us and will more than likely try and play a very physical game and sit most of their men behind the ball trying to stop us scoring a few goals.

1-0 would be a good result, as we will definitely have no trouble at Anfield.

I would be happy with any type of win too, as you say may be tricky and the fact that Kaunas' season is fully underway could make it all the more of a challenge.
Red_Rob

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:12 pm

I think we'll come away with a reasonably comfortable win (2-0 probably) but it will be vital to make sure we arnt picking up injuries at this stage of the season
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:14 pm

we've played on bad pitches before. hey look at woodison. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Maybe this is part of their gameplan, remember what Graeme Souness pulled at Rangers in 1986-87 (if I am not mistaken or was it the following year)? They hosted Dynamo Kiev who arrived in their pomp with arguably their most talented squad ever (includes the then European Player of the Year Igor Belanov). Rangers allowed them to train but then on match dasy decided to line the pitch at the minimum regulation to minimise their wing play and Rangers came out winners.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:36 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Tough palce to travel, poor pitch condition, I would be happy if we came away with a one goal win or even a draw and no injuries.

I agree with that.  Kaunus have won their league for about the last seven seasons so they've played European football regularly.  I believe their record is a positive one, i.e. won more than they've lost and a goal difference in the plusses.  They are at the peak of fitness as their season is half-way through.

I'd be happy with any win and even a draw wouldn't be a disaster.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:42 pm

By Henry Winter in Kaunas

(Filed: 26/07/2005)

If Liverpool's European Cup triumph nine weeks ago was a tale of the unexpected, their defence of the trophy tonight becomes a journey into the unknown. Here in a Baltic state more obsessed with basketball, where the local delicacy is smoked pig's ear washed down with fire-water touching 75 per cent proof, Liverpool tackle the champions of Lithuania on a pitch pockmarked by javelins.

As the hurdles used for the European junior athletics championships were yesterday being removed from the St Dariaus and St Gireno Stadium (named after two Lithuanian pilots who perished in a bi-plane attempting to fly from New York to Kaunas in the 1930s), a surreal feel continued to surround Liverpool's summer exertions.

Their coach, Rafa Benitez, attempts to prepare a side physically, tactically and mentally for the Premiership rigours looming next month while ensuring his players are sharp enough to negotiate this Champions League pre-qualifying tour of footballing backwaters.

Adding to the strange atmosphere is the need for Benitez to play the transfer market while playing games. Benitez, who could give England's cricketers a master-class in the dead-bat arts, refused to be drawn yesterday on speculation linking Anfield with Luis Figo, Real Madrid's unsettled winger who is also coveted by Inter Milan. "No news," smiled Benitez.

And Milan Baros' possible switch to Aston Villa? Had the clubs come closer to an agreement (Villa have offered £5 million while Liverpool value Baros at £7 million). "I am thinking only of playing Kaunas," responded Benitez. "Baros is one of the possibilities for the game. Baros is happy. Look at him in training."

The Czech Republic international was indeed an enthusiastic contributor in last night's training, but it will be a surprise if he features this evening. Baros' transfer value would decrease through becoming cup-tied. Peter Crouch is expected to lead the line, with Luis Garcia working off the lanky newcomer. Bolo Zenden may be drafted in on the left, with Josemi likely to step in at right-back if Steve Finnan fails to recover from a bout of sickness.

Darren Potter could be given another chance at some point in right midfield, a reminder that home-grown talent has its place in Benitez's thoughts.

"The manager can bring in players from Barcelona and Real Madrid, but he has shown that it doesn't matter where you are from, if you do your best, he will have a look at you," said Potter yesterday.

"I have played in the [first pre-qualifying round] games against TNS and I hope I have given the manager some food for thought.

"I am more comfortable in the middle than on the right, but you know that Steven Gerrard, the best player in Europe, Xabi Alonso and Didi Hamann are competing for those places, so it is not going to be easy playing there. But as far as I am concerned, I'd give an arm and a leg just to get a shirt in any position."

A former captain of Liverpool Schoolboys, Potter was initially at Everton with Wayne Rooney. "We played together for five years and even as young lads you could see how special he was," added Potter.

"Everyone knew he was going to make it. Some of the things he would do in matches were unbelievable."

Talking of Merseysiders, the 600 Liverpool supporters travelling to Kaunas can expect a warm welcome, according to David Sink, chairman of London-based amateurs Weirside Rangers, who have just played a tour match in the St Dariaus and St Gireno Stadium. "It's a bad pitch but the Lithuanians are lovely people, really hospitable," said Sink yesterday.

"The beer is really cheap in Kaunas, and the food is fantastic but watch out for some of the local delicacies, like smoked pig's ear. You won't miss it - it looks exactly as it sounds. They also do some deep-fried bread you would struggle to hammer nails in. Apart from that, we were really well looked after!"

Assuming they arrive at the stadium safely, and even the official Lithuanian guidebook describes Kaunas drivers as "having one foot on the accelerator and the other in the grave", Liverpool should have too much class for their hosts.

Yet Liverpool's centre-halves, Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia, must beware the movement and finishing threat of strikers Andrius Velicka and Arturas Rimkevicius, who filled their boots during FBK's 8-2 aggregate hammering of the Faroese minnows, HB, in the last round. "We are favourites," agreed Benitez, "but we need to demonstrate that on the pitch."

Team details

FBK Kaunas (probable; 4-4-2): Kurskis; Machvetia, Kancelskis, Zelmikas, Baguzis; Barevicius, Poderis, Tamosauskas, Petrenko; Velicka, Rimkevicius.

Liverpool (probable; 4-4-1-1): Reina; Josemi, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise; Potter, Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, Zenden; Garcia; Crouch.

Referee: K E Fisker (Denmark).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:13 pm

Did you know that the match is being played at 21:45 in lithuania.
that means the match will finish around 23:30 over there!!!!
:sleepy:
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MCYan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:30 pm

I am going for a draw, hopefully with 1 or 2 away goals
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dward » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:34 pm

MCYan wrote:I am going for a draw, hopefully with 1 or 2 away goals

a draw? ???

saying they're gonna score 2 goals possibly? ???  ???
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MCYan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:35 pm

well either 0-0, 1-1, or 2-2 i'd be happy, the more away goals the better.
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion