Just say there is absolutely no money... - What would you do in the summer?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby meissler » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:45 pm

Thanks mick

meissler

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:48 pm

VALENCIA CF

Villa and Silva, for a credit guarantee
President Vicente Soriano has requested a loan of 100 million euros to a foreign entity to cover upcoming payments

Vincent Soriano met with three of the four captains of the template to announce that this week and also charged that the club will pay them "soon" cards scheduled for this February. Accompanied by Vice President Sports, Fernando Gomez, and the director general, Javier Gomez, the president used the closed session at Mestalla to speak with Marchena, Albiol and Vincent. The fourth captain, Villa, you missed having to participate with others in an act of trading one of the sponsors of the team Cevisama. Soriano made a commitment last week to the players this week to delay the payment of the cards but has been unable to meet

Carlos Urrutia - 14/02/2009 03:00 from El Mundo

Valencia lives haunted by a brutal financial crisis that has left them with no liquid in the box to meet the payments of the tabs in the template. The club 'che' has a debt of around 650 million and the bills are piling up. Given the impossibility of selling land lso Mestalla by 300 million euros, the president Vicente Soriano has already been convinced that the transfer of its greatest assets, players like Villa and Silva is the only solution.

Faced with this dire financial situation, Soriano last week extended the application for a credit of 100 million euros to a foreign entity to cover upcoming payments, as revealed yesterday by the newspaper ABC. A provision that would interest high, at between 17 and 20%. The club would use the revenue as security for the future transfer of its star players, although 50% of their rights and are backing the City Council for operating Ribarroja Porxinos, where the future is planned Sports City. The newspaper has consulted with experts who see economic sources "very difficult for a bank granted a loan of that amount to a customer as high risk."

Soriano is still turning heads for a jet to alleviate the precarious economic situation inherited from the club presidency Soler. And then must cope with the media representation of staff and the technical staff, which is owed half the tab. In total, an amount close to 16 million euros.

The manager, meanwhile, is negotiating for a new contract for television rights of the parties. Telecinco Mediapro and maintain a pulse, although the chain would Jaume Roures the closest would be this piece of cake for 250 million football for five seasons. Moreover, the same newspaper says that the entity madrileño Valencianista has reached an agreement with the brand Kappa deropa sports apparel for the team starting next year. The contract involves an injection of 5.5 million for each of the following three seasons.

Either way, all problems are difficult to solve. Last Thursday expired the time allowed for payment of the certificates of the months of July and August at the UTE (FCC-Bertolín) that builds the future stadium Valencians. The payment is 14 million euros since the end of the month wins another 5 'pounds'. As if this were not enough, next Monday, the club must comply with the Treasury and pay 9.5 million euros in income tax for the chips. Short-term bills are piling, and no one can see the tunnel exit.

AS.com published today Juve Sports Director ( Alessio Secco) has offered, at a meeting in Seville this week,  to pay 25m euros cash now for Silva with a further 5m add-ons, 5 year contract 4.5m per year. Silva is meeting with Soriano next week to discuss the offer.

Top players cost a LOT
account deleted by request

Postby Effes » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:56 pm

s@int wrote:AS.com published today Juve Sports Director ( Alessio Secco) has offered, at a meeting in Seville this week,  to pay 25m euros cash now for Silva with a further 5m add-ons, 5 year contract 4.5m per year. Silva is meeting with Soriano next week to discuss the offer.

Top players cost a LOT

What mugs Juve are?! That's way too much

Although, we could get Joaquin off them?
Last edited by Effes on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:08 pm

I wouldnt sell Mascha nor Alonso as his form has drastically turned around. We need to treasure them.

Flog off Kuyt, Babel, Lucas, Dossena, Pennant and then you've got yourself a torso of a World class striker. We still need a right winger IMO just as much as a striker and to that I'd say go Bosman hunting.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:04 am

Effes wrote:
s@int wrote:AS.com published today Juve Sports Director ( Alessio Secco) has offered, at a meeting in Seville this week,  to pay 25m euros cash now for Silva with a further 5m add-ons, 5 year contract 4.5m per year. Silva is meeting with Soriano next week to discuss the offer.

Top players cost a LOT

Yeah I suggested Joaquin as well. Ok so he isnt the main guy in Spain any more and all eyes are not on him but he surley still has the talent and im sure under Rafa he could do really well.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:54 am

bavlondon wrote:
Effes wrote:

Top players cost a LOT

Yeah I suggested Joaquin as well. Ok so he isnt the main guy in Spain any more and all eyes are not on him but he surley still has the talent and im sure under Rafa he could do really well.

Yeah.  I'm sure Rafa with his well renowned man-management skills would be the ideal guy to take a low-on-confidence Joaquin and turn him from enigma to world beater.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:09 am

Well like I say, whatever Happens there'll be sh!t loads of players looking for contracts who are on Bosmans. I've actually got a feeling that as the economic crisis bites in, many players will find the luxury of four and five year contracts on inflated wages going out of the window. In an economic downturn every business looks to cut costs and increase flexibility, football will no different once managers and chief exucutives get their heads out from up their erses (not on about ours particularly, just football in general). Expect to see plenty of one year deals with options for extensions, as well as strikers paid less money basic but huge bonuses for goals scored, huge bonuses for all players relative to salaries for points gained etc

FIFA could overnight have a huge effect on players salaries by limiting the number of players a team can use in a season. Instantly, it would become more of a buyers market in terms of player labour, and would be a fairer system too.

Anyway I digress, back to our situation. IMHO it shows the folly of a "build it gradually, bit by bit, year on year progression, give him as long as Fergie" approach. The financial situation could change overnight, and the most carefully laid plans come crashing down around your earholes. Many people for instance are assuming that as we got a fair portion of the Keane transfer money back, that'll obviously be available to be reinvested in the Summer. I hope they're right, but would anybody be truly surprised if the money was no longer available, eaten up somewhere else, "sorry Roffa, that was then but this is now".

Thsi is precisely why it was and remains imperitive that we absolutely maximise our achievement THIS season. I remain convinced we will never get a better chance than we have/had this season.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:11 am

[quote="Fowler_E7"][/quote]
Well for me
- Veronin...rumours of Spurs offering 5m.
- Intandje for 500K
- Pennant...Free but he is on a big wage
- Agger...sad but I think we could get 10m
- Dossena...think we could still get 5m from an italian club
- Martins & Mahaylov....2m is not much but we don't need all these keepers
- Babel...But only if we can get more than 10m
Veronin: 5m
Agger: 10m
Intanje: 500K
Dossena: 5m
Pennant: Free
Martins: 1m
Mihaylov: 1m
Babel: 10m
Total: 22.5m (possibly moving to 32.5 with Babel)

I think this would have little effect on the first team as only Agger, Babel and Dossena have played this season and they've not been that great.

I'd look at bringing in multi talented players that can fill our needs like Micah Richard who can play both CB and RB.
DanAn

Postby bigmick » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:22 am

I think when people are listing up players which we could sell they are assuming that everyone else is not also going to be under financial constraints, which I think is a mistake. Equally, some of the valuations are cloud cuckoo to be fair, particularly in this world financial situation. Only clubs owned by rich benefactors are going to be spending big, and even then it's going to be relatively less than previously. Every contract the club has with sponsors, firms which hold executive boxes, gate reciepts etc are going to come under pressure. You can also be certain that if the SKY and Setenta deals were being renegotiated tomorrow, there would be substantially reduced revenue for the clubs. All teams are going to be looking to reduce expenditure going forward.

Also, there is going to be such a glut of players available on Bosmans and on frees as clubs look to reduce the wage bill, that it's going to be very difficult to get fees for all but the highest level players. I've heard mention of Voronin for instance at 5 million quid. Does anyone seriously think it won't be possible to get a striker as good as him on a free?

In many cases, teams with too many players will be practically paying you to take reserves off their hands. In these days when you can buy a pub for free as long as you take the lease off the pubco's hands, it will become the same with footballers in some cases I reckon.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:29 am

You can do what you like with that list of players we could sell , just keep hold of Hamill and anderson and i'd be happy. oh and agger .
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:47 am

bigmick wrote:By and large though, if the signings don't work out it's the manager who is held accountable and that is the case in football throughout the British Isles and I think always has been.

They are held accountable but this were the manager makes his list and the chief executive or director of football go out and make it happen are relatively new to the english game. Or to be more precise, when the premiership started. I remember Bobby Robson saying when he became manager of Barcelona that the difference in managing a european team compared to an english team is massive. In England, he was accountable for the training sessions, the transfers, the contracts, meeting the parents of youth players everything whereas in europe, all that is taken care of and you can concentrate on the team.

When it comes to transfers, he said he gave a list of players in positions he would like and the club would go out and get what he could off the list presented to them.

Ultimately though, it is the managers choice the player signed.

PS. At that time he also had a young Mr Mourinho with him as an assistant !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:57 am

bigmick wrote:Say for instance the Yanks turn round to Rafa and say there is simply no money to spend due to the credit crunch. Nothing. Any money he has to spend must first be generated by player sales (anybody think this is an absolutely impossible scenario in this financial climate?).

Even worse still, Imagine they sack the manager and then tell the new man that there is no money to spend and that the wage bill must be trimmed before he can buy, and we're left with a new manager with a squad full of players he doesn't much fancy who he can't shift on because of a dodgy financial climate and the fact every other manager knows he doesn't fancy the current crop of players.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:57 am

We need a striker, but if there is no money in the summer it mightn't be the worst thing. We might actually achieve stability, I pointed out on some forum (possibly this) that Man Utd had a stable squad in 06/07 while Chelsea chopped and changed - the mancs won the league. Minor tweaks come additions to the squad can work, but what has happened last three or four seasons? :

08/09 : 6 in (£39.80m) - Keane, Dossena, RIERA, Cavalieri, Degen, N'Gog
07/08 : 11 in (£67.10m) - TORRES, Voronin, Leto, Insua, Plessis, Itandje, Lucas, Benayoun, Babel, MASCHERANO, SKRTEL
06/07 : 7 in (£31.80m) - Paletta, Gonzalez, Bellamy, Pennant, KUYT, ARBELOA, AURELIO

How many of the players each season have improved the squad? I've put in CAPS the ones who are either regular starters or considered by many/most our best players in the best XI. I excluded the kids Rafa signed, sticking to the main 1st team squad players or "big signings" if you like.

Based on the ones I put in CAPS, most of our best starting XI has been signed in the past three seasons. I think it's no coincidence there was an improvement in the league in 07/08 given the signings highlighted. BUT :-

08/09 : Riera (£8m), The rest (£31.8m)
07/08 : Torres, Mascherano, Skrtel (£45.60m), The rest (£21.50m)
06/07 : Kuyt, Aurelio, Arbeloa (£12.6m), The rest (£19.2m)

Point being, we bought some key players, but didn't half waste most of the rest. I think maybe Benayoun is turning a few people's views on him, Lucas has a good game now and again while the players signed in 06/07 who aren't first teamers are gone! We do need a striker since we've about one worth mentioning in that role, however I'd be inclined not to make too many signings in the summer, I think 24 signings (about a 1st team squad) in three seasons is way too many
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:14 am

Scottbot wrote:Even worse still, Imagine they sack the manager and then tell the new man that there is no money to spend and that the wage bill must be trimmed before he can buy, and we're left with a new manager with a squad full of players he doesn't much fancy who he can't shift on because of a dodgy financial climate and the fact every other manager knows he doesn't fancy the current crop of players.

Do none of the guys who fancy a new manager next season worry about this possible situation or something similar? Would anyone actually trust these two clowns to bring a new manager in?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:21 am

I think in fairness Scott if you don't believe in the current manager, you're prepared to give someone else a go almost regardless of the situation. Last Summer we spent 40 million quid and barely improved the team IMHO, so I'd take some convincing that if there was suddenly no money to spend that Rafa is the best man for the job.

Equally, if we don't overhaul the Mancs or win the Champions League, it'll be three seasons without a trophy. I wouldn't be overly nervous about changing a manager in that circumstance, the new manager wouldn't exactly have to uproot trees to keep up.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion