Just if! - Michael owen returns

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:43 am

I doubt that Owen could score 30 goals in the Premiership if he returned, he simply isn't the player he once was.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:51 am

A.B. wrote:I doubt that Owen could score 30 goals in the Premiership if he returned, he simply isn't the player he once was.

No, he's likely to become a better one at Real Madrid  ???

Which is why anybody who wouldn't take him back needs their head feeling  ???

The only reservation I have is that it was well known at Liverpool that there were factions and Owen , Murphy and Gerard were an exclusive trio. There were signs that owen believed he had become "it" at Liverpool FC and nothing else mattered. Benitez was strong where Houllier (or whoever iswas in charge of players contracts)was not and Houllier's delay cost us a significant amount of money.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:55 am

bigmick wrote:I don't think it was necessarily Owen who was one-dimensional to be fair, more the system that Houllier employed. Let's be honest, Shevchenko Renaldo or any other 'O' you care to mention would struggle to look impressive and part of a cohesive unit when playing alongside Heskey. Clearly, any striker playing for us worth his salt is going to get his share of chances now, particularly at Anfield. If Owen was that man, he would almost certainly convert more than either Baros or Cisse.
That said, I'm not in favour of him returning. He's not, in my opinion, the player he once was. His involvement in build-up play is average at best, certainly inferior to Cisse or Baros and the nasty taste left in the mouth by the selfish manner of his contract stalling then departure is difficult to expunge (not sure expunge is the right word there, not even sure it is a word at all but if its not, it should be). No, fickle ballocks here has decided, based on fifteen seconds of St Mikes Mista clips that he is the man (that's Mista, not St mike though he probably is the man too).

Your right,expunge is a good word :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:55 am

We don't need or want that midget back.  :glare:
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:06 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:We don't need or want that midget back.  :glare:

someone ban this dumbas$ ,  michael owen was an integral part of our team, but no longer as he has picked up his game in the madrid and 3 game winning goals in 3 straight games has got to make him important to Madrid.  I would take him back in a heart beat but there is no way we could get him back.  END OF DISCUSSION
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:42 am

L-type wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:We don't need or want that midget back.  :glare:

someone ban this dumbas$ ,  michael owen was an integral part of our team, but no longer as he has picked up his game in the madrid and 3 game winning goals in 3 straight games has got to make him important to Madrid.  I would take him back in a heart beat but there is no way we could get him back.  END OF DISCUSSION

Relax. We do not want or need Owen anymore. He did just as Mc Manaman. Left us for Madrid. I remember when Mc Manaman left. People said it was a disaster. We would never win anything anymore. We lost our best player and my he could never ever be replaceed by anyone. But what happened? We became a better team without him. A while after he left supporters started to judge his abilities with their brains instead of with their biased supporter-eyes. And his skills did not seem so impressive anymore. He was quite simple a completely ordinary player. And guess what, he spent most of his spell in spain on the stands or in the fancy night clubs sipping liquor.This is the same road as Owen will travel. He is a player struggling to find the net, struggling with his fitness level, struggling with his many injuries, struggling with his technique. I am perfectly happy with the lads we have, and we do not need big ego players here, we need 11 team players united in the red colours. And that is exactly what we will be getting with Senor Benitez. Bring on Blackburn!
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:52 am

Relax. We do not want or need Owen anymore. He did just as Mc Manaman. Left us for Madrid. I remember when Mc Manaman left. People said it was a disaster. We would never win anything anymore. We lost our best player and my he could never ever be replaceed by anyone. But what happened? We became a better team without him. A while after he left supporters started to judge his abilities with their brains instead of with their biased supporter-eyes. And his skills did not seem so impressive anymore. He was quite simple a completely ordinary player. And guess what, he spent most of his spell in spain on the stands or in the fancy night clubs sipping liquor.This is the same road as Owen will travel. He is a player struggling to find the net, struggling with his fitness level, struggling with his many injuries, struggling with his technique. I am perfectly happy with the lads we have, and we do not need big ego players here, we need 11 team players united in the red colours. And that is exactly what we will be getting with Senor Benitez. Bring on Blackburn!

That explains your idiotic views then.

He is a player struggling to find the net, struggling with his fitness level, struggling with his many injuries, struggling with his technique

??? Am i missing something?

You are a wind up merchant. You surely don't believe this drivel you spout? ???

CHECK YOU FACTS BELLEND!!!
115-1073096938

Postby banana » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:01 am

stu_the_red wrote:

That explains your idiotic views then.

He is a player struggling to find the net, struggling with his fitness level, struggling with his many injuries, struggling with his technique

??? Am i missing something?

You are a wind up merchant. You surely don't believe this drivel you spout? ???

CHECK YOU FACTS BELLEND!!!

I know you worship the boy. And I know you worshipped Houllier and you were devastated when Murphy left. Why? I do not know. As for me I opened a bottle of champagne when Houllier left, I bought a beer when Murphy left, and I did not care when Owen left. In my books he had been gone for ages anyway. But to wrap things up. If Owen, against all odds, starts to score on a regular basis again, recaptures his killer instinct, regains his pace, improves his skills on the ball, start working a little more and a little harder for the team I will admit that I was wrong about him. But right now I can't see that happen in a million light years.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby barnesrush » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:19 am

the guy hasnt just become the latest galactico for nothing. a slight loss of pace does not turn him from a world class european player of the year to being worse than cisse and baros (no offence to them).

anyone got any 'figures' on exactly how much pace he is supposed to have lost cos the last few times ive seen him he looked pretty damn quick.

dont let bitterness get in the way of footballing decisions. the lad wanted to play abroad and fair play to him. ill always follow his career whether its at real, back here or wherever.

slightly lacking in technical ability but a class striker none the less.

(i do think defoe could eventually become a far better player as he has all that owens got but with a far better touch)
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:59 am

ive loved him for 8 years hes still amamzing goal scorer
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:12 am

michael owen was an integral part of our team, but no longer as he has picked up his game in the madrid and 3 game winning goals in 3 straight games has got to make him important to Madrid.  I would take him back in a heart beat but there is no way we could get him back.  END OF DISCUSSION

Yes, precious Michael, who basically told the club to p*ss off after saying previously that he'd stay if Liverpool if they reached the CL, and messed the club around for months with his contract had he had no intention of signing.

God bless him.  :glare:
Last edited by The Manhattan Project on Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:52 am

He aint doin to bad bagged his 3rd last night.
How can u say he done a macca? he went on a bosman at least we got 8 mill for owen lets face it he cost us nothing and gave us 8 years of goals.
Not like traitor across the park who didnt even give the bluenoses another season.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:45 am

Owen is not what we need now. He ia already part of the history. Lets look forward.

I never wanted him back and couldn't care how much better or worse he faired somewhere else. And to worship him like some godsent miracle..... only some fellas will, but not me. Why is there still so much hype on him even though he has left the club? He has served his purpose in LFC but I think we did ourselves good by moving on without him.

I am a realist too and I really think he ain't a top notch footballer. And just if... and its only Just If.... I wouldn't want him back.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfused » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:59 am

Guys

Interesting comments, having seen MO play for RM I'm surprised how poor his skills are to beat a defender. His skill is in the speed of turn and being in the right place which is the reason for scoring quite a few with his head.

MO teamed up with Heskey and the managers (GH and Ericksin) always said Heskey's skill was always in his hold up play and lay-offs and these skills were generally not recognised by the fans only by other players and the fans.

The point I'm making is I'm not sure who could provide this service for MO now but accept Alonso and Gerrard can provide the quick long ball from defence.

To me he almost needs someone to sacrifice their game to allow him to play. MO's greatest skill is his speed straight and turning and when these alludes him then I don't think he has other skills al la Sheera to compensate.
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:08 am

Would he have scored more goals than Baros or Cisse if he were playing for Liverpool now? Most likely so based on his goalscoring record for playing in a team that played such dire football.

Do we miss his goal scoring exploits? Probably, as our main strikers are proving to be very goal-shy.

Do we want him back, if he were to be made available? Maybe, from the football perspective. No, from the human prespective, because of his conduct in delaying the contract extension that we had no choice but to sell him cheap. He doesn't want to stay and similarly, we should not want him back.

Good luck, Owen. Thank you for the memories and your service.

We are Liverpool Football Club, and we can find our own way, thank you very much. End of story.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion