Josemi? jowho? - Rafs first signing

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Tzvi » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:03 am

Does anyone know anything about Josemi, previously of malaga?
With Josemi bieng able to play right back and centre back and with the imminent arrival of colocinni where will Finnan end up?
As well is Colochinni any good?
Tzvi

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:21 am

totally no idea. Most likely he was brought in as a centreback given that we only have henchoz & hyppia there.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=305499&cc=5739

Liverpool sign Josemi

Liverpool have agreed a deal to bring Malaga defender Josemi to Anfield.

Josemi: Spanish persuasion (NigelFrench/Empics)

The negotiations were concluded late on Friday night and the player will soon be jetting out to the USA to join the Reds on their pre-season tour.

The deal is reportedly worth €4million and the presence of Spanish coach Rafael Benitez at Anfield was central to the deal, according to Josemi.

'Malaga will make some money in what is a great deal, and I go to one of the top clubs in Europe,' Sky Sports report the defender said.

'And above all the trainer is a Spaniard like Benitez, which was partly a reason for me as well.

'I am going to work at a top club. It is what I have always done since I have been a soccer player.'

The 24-year-old, Benitez's first signing for the Merseysiders, is able to play at right-back and in the centre of the defence.

He started his career at home-town club Torremolinos before moving along the coast to Malaga as a teenager.

He has since moved through the ranks at La Rosaleda and is now considered a first-team regular, making 35 league appearances last season.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:03 am

He'll play centreback but can play rightback incase Carragher or Finnan get injured :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:05 am

Josemiti Sam, wasnt he the cartoon dude with the pistols trying to get that darn Wabbit. :p
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:08 am

This is from malaga's website from 1 of their fans.I'm looking for info on this guy as i've never heard of him

It looks like Malaga's Josemi has agreed a switch to Liverpool but what exactly are we getting?

Keep hearing that he's highly rated but is that media spin or is he genuinely a good player?

Josemi is a "product" of one of the best youth systems in Spain (Malaga) his first season in Primera Division was the 2001/02, since then he has been a usual player in his team. He's good in defensive tasks, as you know, he's a right back. Last season he played 41 matches in all the competitions, having 13 yellow cards and 0 red cards. He didn't score a single goal. I think he's more a promising player more than a reality, although he already is 24. I've never paid much attention to this player and I think he's an average player. In any case, I suppose that Benitez knows him better than me. In any case, I think he's by now overhyped by your press, because he was considered in Spain, as an average player... at least, I've never heard anyone talking well/bad about thing. One more player, that's all. It's a surprise for me.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:40 pm

I have to give RB the benefit of doubt here. I have absolutely no idea on other  spanish teams apart from real madrid, barcelona, deportivo & valencia.

I guess he might have been bought as cover to the right backs & centre backs we already have.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:21 pm

I believe that Malaga had a pretty jewish defence (i.e they didnt give much away) last season and obviously if he played 41 matches last season he would have been an intergral part of that defence. Hopefully we will sign Collonchi or whatever his name is and that should provide competition for places at the back. It looks to me that he is beefing up the defence literally with these two guys Argies are well renowned for their Strength tough tackling and dirty tricks and the spanish guys are pretty much the same. IMO that is exactly what we need although I would have prefered to see Ayala here I trust Beni to get things right.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:39 pm

not too pleased about josemi i must admit but i suppose u cant judge him until we see him play, just hope rafa doesnt start buying loads of spanish bums like houllier did with traore and ferri tc. :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:41 pm

mynameisred wrote:Josemiti Sam, wasnt he the cartoon dude with the pistols trying to get that darn Wabbit. :p

Oh yeah !!!!!!!!!! I hope it's him, don't care how sh*t he is a footy ,
:D   :laugh:   :D   :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 72-1090627431 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:05 pm

PLayed for Malaga, 24 years old, and Malaga finished 10th in La liga last year. Supposed to be the next big talent!

Not exactly inspiring is it?

Where the f**k is the signing of Ayala ETC ETC is it forthcoming or what!

Pull yer finger out of yr *** Benitez Now is the time to rumble
72-1090627431

Postby madred » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:19 pm

At the time of your post Ayala was performing on the pitch at the copa in Lima! Would have been a bit difficult to try and sign him during this tournament wouldnt it??
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:41 pm

Ayala is the player I want to see at Anfield more than anyother right now....chuck Ballack into the mix and I reckon everything is in place....just hope Raffa the Gaffer can bring them or some like em in...it's been a bit slow moving in the transfer market for us at the moment and I want to  BIG names come in to show me Raffa can attract em.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1090627431 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:49 pm

madred wrote:At the time of your post Ayala was performing on the pitch at the copa in Lima! Would have been a bit difficult to try and sign him during this tournament wouldnt it??

i thought you werent  replying to my posts madred?
72-1090627431

Postby charwell » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:09 am

Hustler you are a plonker - give the guy a chance, you are casting doubt before you have even seen him play. I take Rafas knowledge over yours! He is doing the right thing, not panic buying but considering his options. Have a bit of faith you jumped up nobody.
charwell

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:18 am

can't say much about Josemi, haven't seen him play but have to trust in Beni, if he is the player who will bolster our defence then so be it. He may well be like Hyppia, a relatively unknown quantity when at Willem II and has become one of the best defenders in the premiership since joining us.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion