JORDAN HENDERSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:44 pm

metalhead wrote:
aCe' wrote:you know, i dont think the whole team is awful... I think the back 4 are excellent, Smalling is having an excellent tournament and he'll probably go on to become the best CB in the country in the next couple of years. Miles ahead of P.Jons for me. The 2 fullbacks (Walker and Bertrand) have done well and look decent. The middle is where they really struggle. Mancienne/Muamba do a job defensively but lack the quality to contribute in building up play. Henderson doesnt show for the ball enough for me and has been disappointing in the few occasions he got on the ball. The wide players have some talent but are nothing spectacular (Sinclair and Cleverly) . Upfront theres Welback and Sturridge who are both excellent players imo who would get into most sides in the league (outside the top4)...

The manager is somewhat clueless and the midfield is letting the side down... Henderson, regardless of the hype and him signing for us, has been very disappointing.

Henderson is playing in holding role which limits his ability to go forward, the whole team plays a direct kind of football and that is why England can't hold possession, its not Henderson's fault. If the team has excellent players then why are they struggling to beat an average Czech team?

He's playing a central midfield role not a holding role. He does get forward but his positioning and off the ball movement have been very poor. His role dictates him showing up for wide players more often to aid the transition but he hasnt been able to do that.

I was desperately waiting for Pearce to move him to the flank and bring Lansburry on to play a midfield role. Has more mobility than Henderson and would allow JH to connect better with K.Walker who probably saw more of the ball than any other player on the pitch in all 3 games.

Hes still young, improving, and will play alongside better players for Liverpool and all that. This tournament however, he's been poor by any standards..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:51 pm

aCe' wrote:
metalhead wrote:
aCe' wrote:you know, i dont think the whole team is awful... I think the back 4 are excellent, Smalling is having an excellent tournament and he'll probably go on to become the best CB in the country in the next couple of years. Miles ahead of P.Jons for me. The 2 fullbacks (Walker and Bertrand) have done well and look decent. The middle is where they really struggle. Mancienne/Muamba do a job defensively but lack the quality to contribute in building up play. Henderson doesnt show for the ball enough for me and has been disappointing in the few occasions he got on the ball. The wide players have some talent but are nothing spectacular (Sinclair and Cleverly) . Upfront theres Welback and Sturridge who are both excellent players imo who would get into most sides in the league (outside the top4)...

The manager is somewhat clueless and the midfield is letting the side down... Henderson, regardless of the hype and him signing for us, has been very disappointing.

Henderson is playing in holding role which limits his ability to go forward, the whole team plays a direct kind of football and that is why England can't hold possession, its not Henderson's fault. If the team has excellent players then why are they struggling to beat an average Czech team?

He's playing a central midfield role not a holding role. He does get forward but his positioning and off the ball movement have been very poor. His role dictates him showing up for wide players more often to aid the transition but he hasnt been able to do that.

I was desperately waiting for Pearce to move him to the flank and bring Lansburry on to play a midfield role. Has more mobility than Henderson and would allow JH to connect better with K.Walker who probably saw more of the ball than any other player on the pitch in all 3 games.

Hes still young, improving, and will play alongside better players for Liverpool and all that. This tournament however, he's been poor by any standards..

Agree about the showing for the ball. I also thought at times it appeared he was taking up poor positions that meant he wasnt looking to take the initiative.
Disappointed me, if England would have had Spearing in the middle there you would see someone desperate to get on the ball all of the time. Granted he might not have the same ability to spot or make the pass but he is always busy moving and demanding the ball.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Having watched the game Henderson was shafted by the tactics... he looked like a square peg in a round hole.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Johnny Boy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:58 am

I agree , we need to give the lad a chance, the tactics to say the least looked poor.
Having said that, some of his passing left a lot to be desired and I did expect better, he looked a bit slow to me.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:19 am

guys, we need to chill.
worrying about Henderson's U21 England performance is like worrying
about Henry poor performance in almost all France's games when he played for gooners.

we will know more abt Herderson during pre-season.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:05 pm

I hate the fucking England brigade and their scapegoats ....A collative of clueless buffoons who know even less about football than Chelsea fans ...Henderson when played on the right wing will excel ...Basically f uck Engerrrlaand and the tools that follow them
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Henderson for England under Pierce is like putting a square peg in a round hole. No worries in the slightest. Remember Kenny will be teaching him now.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 am

I haven't seen him play so I can't comment on the lad. :D

But what would say is; don't judge the bloke on his performances for England - that's not where it matters. John Barnes was an enigma for England but for LFC he was fecking ''boss''.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:00 am

Kenny Kan wrote:I haven't seen him play so I can't comment on the lad. :D

But what would say is; don't judge the bloke on his performances for England - that's not where it matters. John Barnes was an enigma for England but for LFC he was fecking ''boss''.

Correct
As was Mcmanaman
England are sh'ite and way behind the rest of europe, as Brooking and the rest of the fa have admitted. Lets not worry how he plays for them. Its how he plays for us thats important
Thommo's perm

Postby JC_81 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:58 pm

I think Henderson will play right midfield for us personally.  He puts in a great cross which Carroll will love and he doesn't necessarily have to beat his man first to do it.  He's not a winger but much like Beckham in his prime for the scum, he can create a lot from right midfield.  He may move inside at some stage of his career but with the players we already have and the ones we're being linked with I can't see him playing there initially.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:39 pm

john craig wrote:I think Henderson will play right midfield for us personally.  He puts in a great cross which Carroll will love and he doesn't necessarily have to beat his man first to do it.  He's not a winger but much like Beckham in his prime for the scum, he can create a lot from right midfield.  He may move inside at some stage of his career but with the players we already have and the ones we're being linked with I can't see him playing there initially.

While i do agree that it makes sense playing him as a right midfielder to put in the crosses since it seems to be what he does best (or perhaps the only thing he does well), theres the very realistic chance that we would play a setup where we dont play a natural wide midfielder.

I havent seen him play as part of an attacking 3 but with his seeming lack of technical ability on the ball and lack of pace, I dont think he'd make a good candidate for the position.

Maybe as part of a midfield three but then again, would he get in the side ahead of Gerrard and Meireles or Aquilani (assuming Lucas is a sure starter) ?

Personally I cant see us playing 4 flat down the middle with the players we have now. Especially not with Gerrard coming back and the left midfield slot seemingly empty. To go for that kind of style we'd need players who can run with the ball, spring on the counter and get behind fullbacks... We lack in all of those departments.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:24 pm

aCe' wrote:
john craig wrote:I think Henderson will play right midfield for us personally.  He puts in a great cross which Carroll will love and he doesn't necessarily have to beat his man first to do it.  He's not a winger but much like Beckham in his prime for the scum, he can create a lot from right midfield.  He may move inside at some stage of his career but with the players we already have and the ones we're being linked with I can't see him playing there initially.

While i do agree that it makes sense playing him as a right midfielder to put in the crosses since it seems to be what he does best (or perhaps the only thing he does well), theres the very realistic chance that we would play a setup where we dont play a natural wide midfielder.

I havent seen him play as part of an attacking 3 but with his seeming lack of technical ability on the ball and lack of pace, I dont think he'd make a good candidate for the position.

Maybe as part of a midfield three but then again, would he get in the side ahead of Gerrard and Meireles or Aquilani (assuming Lucas is a sure starter) ?

Personally I cant see us playing 4 flat down the middle with the players we have now. Especially not with Gerrard coming back and the left midfield slot seemingly empty. To go for that kind of style we'd need players who can run with the ball, spring on the counter and get behind fullbacks... We lack in all of those departments.

its a difficult one.

The "Beckham role" does fit into a 4-4-2, but not so much in a 4-3-3.

imo kenny prefers a 4-3-3 and imo will deploy the front 6 like this:

Lucas
        Henderson             Gerrard     

Kuyt /                  Suarez
      new RWF
                       Carroll

Obviously players are interchangable, but you get the idea in a 4-3-3.

Now Henderson could play in the RWF position in a 4-3-3, but i think he is far more suited to a midfield role, be it on the right, or central.

A 4-4-2 on the other hand...

Henderson  Gerrard  Lucas   New LW

Carroll   Suarez
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Whilst Hendo's role in the team is in itself an interesting debate, I'm wondering how we will look if Mata and Downing are brought into the side...
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Greavesie wrote:Whilst Hendo's role in the team is in itself an interesting debate, I'm wondering how we will look if Mata and Downing are brought into the side...

IMO:

in a 4-3-3 above mata will be RWF and downing would be on the bench.

In a 4-4-2 downing / Henderson / Mata / Kuyt would fight it out for the 2 wing spots, with Carroll and Suarez up front
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desmdlow » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:19 am

He is a young kid, let's not forget. We sign him for 5 years, not 1 season. I expecting Kenny to nurture him into the next big thing.
desmdlow

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion