JORDAN HENDERSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Tim LFC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:28 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Tim LFC wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
Waldo wrote:Kenny hasn't bought Henderson to sit on the bench. He won't have spent that kind of money on someone he doesn't see as an integral part of the team. We now have an embarrassment of riches in CM with Lucas, Spearing, Meireles and Gerrard. Add Adam to that and we are probably overloaded and need to maybe ship someone out. Who though? A mate of mine suggested we may be willing to sell Meireles which I don't believe for a minute!!

Yeah it's weird that the press are still all over us going in for Charlie Adam. If we do it means one of two things, that Henderson has been bought to play on the right, or that we are looking to move Mereilles on to another club.

Why sell? We always moan about not having a big enough squad. Look how many midfielders Spurs have got or the mancs! I'm hearing Adam will sign for LFC as well. Sure that's a lot of players but it gives us options. The only midfielders who should be sold is Poulsen and Aquilani.

IF Henderson has been bought to play CM this season and we then signed Adam that would give us Gerrard, Spearing , Lucas, Adam, Mereilles, Henderson and potentially Aquailani/Poulsen (we won't be able to sell either i suspect but they'll go on loan) as centre-mids. Loads of depth there no doubt but no European football and potentially just a 40 game season so you'd almost need some injuries to keep them all happy.

I don't think he has been bought for CM, I think he's been bought for RM and CM. Tbh we can argue all day long but only Kenny know's what he's going to do with Henderson.
Tim LFC

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Tim LFC wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
Waldo wrote:Kenny hasn't bought Henderson to sit on the bench. He won't have spent that kind of money on someone he doesn't see as an integral part of the team. We now have an embarrassment of riches in CM with Lucas, Spearing, Meireles and Gerrard. Add Adam to that and we are probably overloaded and need to maybe ship someone out. Who though? A mate of mine suggested we may be willing to sell Meireles which I don't believe for a minute!!

Yeah it's weird that the press are still all over us going in for Charlie Adam. If we do it means one of two things, that Henderson has been bought to play on the right, or that we are looking to move Mereilles on to another club.

Why sell? We always moan about not having a big enough squad. Look how many midfielders Spurs have got or the mancs! I'm hearing Adam will sign for LFC as well. Sure that's a lot of players but it gives us options. The only midfielders who should be sold is Poulsen and Aquilani.

IF Henderson has been bought to play CM this season and we then signed Adam that would give us Gerrard, Spearing , Lucas, Adam, Mereilles, Henderson and potentially Aquailani/Poulsen (we won't be able to sell either i suspect but they'll go on loan) as centre-mids. Loads of depth there no doubt but no European football and potentially just a 40 game season so you'd almost need some injuries to keep them all happy.

don't forget Shelvey mate.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:47 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
Tim LFC wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

and dirks gotta play somewhere...
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Assuming Gerrard is a definite starter for the side and Suarez and Carroll are both fit and ready, that gives us a bit of a balance problem that needs to be addressed imo.. If we're going to play a 4-4-2 then Gerrard is going to have to adjust his game considerably to be able to play a CM role.. That will probably see Lucas starting alongside him with Meireles, Aquilani, Spearing, Poulsen and Shelvey all restricted to a backup role. Now dont get me wrong, depth is a good thing but looking at the players we have at our disposal it has to be said that we are probably more suited to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 system which leaves me wondering where Henderson fits in exactly ?

Assuming we go 4-4-2, we'll most probably need to address the wide midfield situation after figuring out how our back-line is going to be reinforced..

Plenty of faith in Kenny and always nice seeing young talent coming in, but unless we go out spending 70-80+ million this summer to improve key positions we've struggled with recently then I think we might have over-payed for someone who is still nowhere near a top footballer.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tim LFC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:11 pm

I think Henderson has the tools to be a very good RM/CM/CAM it's up to Kenny what he sees. I cannot see us playing 4-4-2, mainly 4-3-3.
Tim LFC

Postby Tim LFC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:17 pm

We're also forgetting Joe Cole as well. :O
Tim LFC

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:14 pm

aCe' wrote:Assuming Gerrard is a definite starter for the side and Suarez and Carroll are both fit and ready, that gives us a bit of a balance problem that needs to be addressed imo.. If we're going to play a 4-4-2 then Gerrard is going to have to adjust his game considerably to be able to play a CM role.. That will probably see Lucas starting alongside him with Meireles, Aquilani, Spearing, Poulsen and Shelvey all restricted to a backup role. Now dont get me wrong, depth is a good thing but looking at the players we have at our disposal it has to be said that we are probably more suited to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 system which leaves me wondering where Henderson fits in exactly ?

Assuming we go 4-4-2, we'll most probably need to address the wide midfield situation after figuring out how our back-line is going to be reinforced..

Plenty of faith in Kenny and always nice seeing young talent coming in, but unless we go out spending 70-80+ million this summer to improve key positions we've struggled with recently then I think we might have over-payed for someone who is still nowhere near a top footballer.

That's pretty much my sentiments mate. It's great to see the owners/Commoli doing something decisive so early in the window and chances are they'll be several more coming in and all this talk will have been for nothing But like you, I do think we're quite unbalanced at the moment. I really hope we go out and spend a chunk of money on a genuine wide-player with quality and a centre-half of similar stature. Do that an i'll be more than happy with the squad going into the new season.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:15 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
Tim LFC wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

I know, we've got a bloody army of centre-mids!!!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:32 pm

possible line up if we get Adam before selling anyone:  0-9-1

Reina

Gerrard  Lucas  Meireles Aquilani Spearing Poulsen Shelvey Henderson Adam

Carroll
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:47 pm

We're supposedly playing 4-3-3 next season, I don't see Henderson starting more than Kuyt though but giving our starters a rest is a big bonus imo, we'll play less games less season but in the future it is a good thing.  I see Henderson as a replacement for Kuyt in 2 years slowly playing more and more, he'll get his fair share of starts and I'm looking forward to finally seeing him play!
Zidane

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I just love the fact we nabbed one of the Mancs "most wanted" ,rather than them snatch one of ours ... Heartily sick of having players we have been watching and touting publicly as the "next big thing " end up at United ...  This Comoli certainly doesn't let the grass grow under his feet   :D

I'm not so sure about that mate, they just grabbed Phil Jones from under Kenny's nose. I don't know that much much about Henderson but i would have been happier if it was Jones we had signed today as we would have been addressing an area of need. I really hope we go after a player like Cahill, Shawcross or the older Hangeland now as opposed to Scott Dann.

Phil Jones was always going to the Mancs mate... Scott Dann however would be a real quality acquisition at CB .... Kirkdale Lad and Season ticket holder ...

:nod

agreed red mate, my mates dad reckons he has spoke to Scotts dad and he is coming defo.
Lets see if its not another blag but he seemed certain.

I hope that's true Ben .I would love another Scouser to step in for Carragher ...
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:55 pm

Redman in wales wrote:possible line up if we get Adam before selling anyone:  0-9-1

Reina

Gerrard  Lucas  Meireles Aquilani Spearing Poulsen Shelvey Henderson Adam

Carroll

drop spearing cos you left out Suarez
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Is Dann any good?
Zidane

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Agree with 4-3-3

Would see it as this:

Sell: Poulsen Aquilani
Loan: Shelvey

First choice (with replacements):

------- Back 4 ---------

Lucas 
                       (Spearing)
         Gerrard                       Meireles 
      (Henderson)                   (Adam*)

New RWF                                  Suarez
(Kuyt)                                (Back-up LWF)

Carroll
                      (Back up CF)

Back up LWF could be someone new or Maxi / Cole (depending on who goes)

*(Shelvey or Aquilani as back up for Meireles if Adam doesn’t sign)

Henderson could of course play RWF as competition for Kuyt, but I think we’re still after an attacking winger – whether it’s Mata/Downing etc that would be first choice alongside Surez and Carroll to be our front 3. Then Henderson would be a central midfielder, perhaps on the right side with license to come forward. I just don’t see him playing RWF in a 4-3-3 as it’s too advanced.
Last edited by Redman in wales on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Zidane wrote:Is Dann any good?

I don't think he is much better than what we have mate. He's a decent player and quite highly regarded but i don't rate him nearly as highly as Cahill and i'd put Shawcross and Michael Turner ahead of him as well. Birmingham had a pretty stingy defence in the their first season back in the Premier League and credit must go to Dann and Roger Johnson BUT they played some very defensive football with the midfield really protecting the back four.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion