JORDAN HENDERSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Waldo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:47 am

Kenny hasn't bought Henderson to sit on the bench. He won't have spent that kind of money on someone he doesn't see as an integral part of the team. We now have an embarrassment of riches in CM with Lucas, Spearing, Meireles and Gerrard. Add Adam to that and we are probably overloaded and need to maybe ship someone out. Who though? A mate of mine suggested we may be willing to sell Meireles which I don't believe for a minute!!
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:09 am

Scottbot wrote:
ethanr wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I just love the fact we nabbed one of the Mancs "most wanted" ,rather than them snatch one of ours ... Heartily sick of having players we have been watching and touting publicly as the "next big thing " end up at United ...  This Comoli certainly doesn't let the grass grow under his feet   :D

I'm not so sure about that mate, they just grabbed Phil Jones from under Kenny's nose. I don't know that much much about Henderson but i would have been happier if it was Jones we had signed today as we would have been addressing an area of need. I really hope we go after a player like Cahill, Shawcross or the older Hangeland now as opposed to Scott Dann.

Think about what you just said.  No disrespect, but if what you said makes sense, than what we just did also makes sense.

We bought Henderson in a position we may not need new reinforcements, and Henderson is more of a future prospect than a right now type player.  That's exactly what Phil Jones is, a future starter, not really one for right now.  If we need people in that position right now then we don't want to be buying players that can start there in 2 years, we need to buy a player that can start there in 2 months.

As I see it, Henderson is Gerrard's replacement.  Carra seems to have some kick in him for whatever reason, but I'm sure we will still go after a CB this year like Cahill or Dann. 

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to sign Phil Jones as a Carra replacement, but it looks like that ship has sailed.

I guess we'll find out in the next 18 months but i don't think we've splashed 16 mill on Henderson to wait for him to become Stevie's replacement or to sit him on the bench, he's been a premier league regular for a season and a half and i think he'll be expected to come in and contribute. I wonder if he has been bought to play on the right hand side as a few guys have suggested. Phil Jones wasn't my 1st choice at CB either, I really like Cahill but i'm not keen on Scott Dann. We've just spent a big chunk of money on a player who is essentially a centre-mid when we've just signed Lucas and Spearing to new contracts to add to Stevie and Mereilles. I don't know how big the budget will be but i'm a little nervous that we could be spending more money on a centre-mid when CB is the far bigger need.

Oh I expect him to get plenty of time this season as well, no doubt about it.  I'm sure we will play him in both positions and see what suits him best.  We have Kuyt on the right still, so Henderson could be our other RM.  If we don't sign another CM this summer then I'm somewhat expecting him to get a bit more time there. 

I've had similar worries, but I look back over at what Kenny has said and What FSG has said.  They plan on covering our problem areas this summer, so the fact that they are signing players like Henderson makes me believe that they will be covering our problem areas and more.  I'm very optimistic about this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if we spent over 100 million this summer.  I'm not expecting to, but I wouldn't be completely surprised.  Cahill would be my number 1 option as well, but I think Dann is a good shout.  I think he's a good player who could be used best in our side.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:11 am

Waldo wrote:Kenny hasn't bought Henderson to sit on the bench. He won't have spent that kind of money on someone he doesn't see as an integral part of the team. We now have an embarrassment of riches in CM with Lucas, Spearing, Meireles and Gerrard. Add Adam to that and we are probably overloaded and need to maybe ship someone out. Who though? A mate of mine suggested we may be willing to sell Meireles which I don't believe for a minute!!

Yeah it's weird that the press are still all over us going in for Charlie Adam. If we do it means one of two things, that Henderson has been bought to play on the right, or that we are looking to move Mereilles on to another club.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:28 am

Am I really the only one thinking we massively overpaid for someone who is.. an ok player?

I really hope I eat my words, but this is not the signing we were waiting for to push up the league
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:21 am

dawson99 wrote:Am I really the only one thinking we massively overpaid for someone who is.. an ok player?

I really hope I eat my words, but this is not the signing we were waiting for to push up the league

probably best to wait and see what else happens over the next few weeks.  I think there will be plenty of activity at this club.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:49 am

Kukilon wrote:
maguskwt wrote:Well it's a bit unfair to complain about the fee considering the mancs splashed 18-20 million each on Anderson, carrick and hargrieves a few years back and considering we demand the league title. If we want to win the league, we need to splash the cash and build a strong squad.

Btw don't flatter ourselves with 7 million valuation of ngog. If we don't think Henderson is worth 20 million, then ngog will not be worth 7 million. For all you know henderson is worth 13 and ngog nothing. Get it? :rasp

Yeah true. I'll reserve any further judgement until I have seen him play for a good 5-10 games.

I love underdags so none will be happier then me if he becomes a success .

Still find it weird that we are splashing insane amounts on "homegrown" talents like Carroll and Hendersson. I'd rather play it safe with the homegrowns because they are so expensive.

5 - 10 games before judging ?!

That for me is half the problem these days - the lad is only 20 and still learning and developing . He has been signed for 5 years not 5 months and we should be looking to see how he is going after a whole season before starting to make judgements .

It seems people want instant results and if nothing is forthcoming after a couple of games then people start the doubts and they snowball and all of a sudden the lad is labelled not good enough .

Same thing happened to Lucas and Spearing in recent times - judged far too early before they even get a chance to develop into a player .

Let's give guys a proper chance now - a season at the very least .
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:06 am

Benny The Noon wrote:
Kukilon wrote:
maguskwt wrote:Well it's a bit unfair to complain about the fee considering the mancs splashed 18-20 million each on Anderson, carrick and hargrieves a few years back and considering we demand the league title. If we want to win the league, we need to splash the cash and build a strong squad.

Btw don't flatter ourselves with 7 million valuation of ngog. If we don't think Henderson is worth 20 million, then ngog will not be worth 7 million. For all you know henderson is worth 13 and ngog nothing. Get it? :rasp

Yeah true. I'll reserve any further judgement until I have seen him play for a good 5-10 games.

I love underdags so none will be happier then me if he becomes a success .

Still find it weird that we are splashing insane amounts on "homegrown" talents like Carroll and Hendersson. I'd rather play it safe with the homegrowns because they are so expensive.

5 - 10 games before judging ?!

That for me is half the problem these days - the lad is only 20 and still learning and developing . He has been signed for 5 years not 5 months and we should be looking to see how he is going after a whole season before starting to make judgements .

It seems people want instant results and if nothing is forthcoming after a couple of games then people start the doubts and they snowball and all of a sudden the lad is labelled not good enough .

Same thing happened to Lucas and Spearing in recent times - judged far too early before they even get a chance to develop into a player .

Let's give guys a proper chance now - a season at the very least .

Totally agree mate, some players come in and settle straight away and make a major impact like Torres did and Suarez has.
Some can be established internationals like Meireles but still take time to settle and adjust to life at a new club.
every player is different.
Henderson has an advantage as he has 2 full seasons of premiership football behind him, but he is moving up a level where the pressure is far greater, we shouldnt add to that with unrealistic expectations of him. He hasnt chosen the fee.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:07 am

Jordan Henderson will complete a £16m cash switch from Sunderland to Liverpool today.

But David Ngog will not be moving the other way as part of the deal.
Black Cats boss Steve Bruce wanted the French striker, rated by the Reds at £8m, to take the deal past his £20m valuation of the young midfielder.
But the deal will now be cash only, with Ngog staying at Anfield for the time being.
Henderson was at Melwood yesterday where he agreed personal terms and underwent a medical.
But paperwork at the FA and Premier League prevented the deal from being completed last night.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:07 am

But its a lot of money, for a position we dont REALLY need to fill, and he really isnt that good is he?

I really hope im wrong, but unless we're offloading a load of current players i really cant see the positives at the moment
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:12 am

It is a lot of money but the positive is we are at last paying a lot of money for young great talent as oppose to missing out on them because of a lack of funds .
Benny The Noon

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:16 am

Benny The Noon wrote:It is a lot of money but the positive is we are at last paying a lot of money for young great talent as oppose to missing out on them because of a lack of funds .

true, but as long as we haven't blown the wad on one potential, if it strentghens the squad and works im all for it, just dont know if we have the funds of manure to risk on this kind of buy (I love the idea, british youngsters, hungry, giving 110%, just don't know enough about the player, seems like a very poor scholes mould to me)
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:19 am

I have a feeling we do have the funds mate and there will be more arrivals - there is talk of fees already agreed for Mata , Enrique and Wickham plus still looking at a CB - the talk of Adam is a red herring with the journos rehashing old rumours .

Have faith mate - there is plenty more to come
Benny The Noon

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 am

Benny The Noon wrote:I have a feeling we do have the funds mate and there will be more arrivals - there is talk of fees already agreed for Mata , Enrique and Wickham plus still looking at a CB - the talk of Adam is a red herring with the journos rehashing old rumours .

Have faith mate - there is plenty more to come

I like the thinking, I will have faith, always have, got to to support this lot so long!
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tim LFC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:49 am

Scottbot wrote:
Waldo wrote:Kenny hasn't bought Henderson to sit on the bench. He won't have spent that kind of money on someone he doesn't see as an integral part of the team. We now have an embarrassment of riches in CM with Lucas, Spearing, Meireles and Gerrard. Add Adam to that and we are probably overloaded and need to maybe ship someone out. Who though? A mate of mine suggested we may be willing to sell Meireles which I don't believe for a minute!!

Yeah it's weird that the press are still all over us going in for Charlie Adam. If we do it means one of two things, that Henderson has been bought to play on the right, or that we are looking to move Mereilles on to another club.

Why sell? We always moan about not having a big enough squad. Look how many midfielders Spurs have got or the mancs! I'm hearing Adam will sign for LFC as well. Sure that's a lot of players but it gives us options. The only midfielders who should be sold is Poulsen and Aquilani.
Tim LFC

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:15 pm

Tim LFC wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Why sell? We always moan about not having a big enough squad. Look how many midfielders Spurs have got or the mancs! I'm hearing Adam will sign for LFC as well. Sure that's a lot of players but it gives us options. The only midfielders who should be sold is Poulsen and Aquilani.

IF Henderson has been bought to play CM this season and we then signed Adam that would give us Gerrard, Spearing , Lucas, Adam, Mereilles, Henderson and potentially Aquailani/Poulsen (we won't be able to sell either i suspect but they'll go on loan) as centre-mids. Loads of depth there no doubt but no European football and potentially just a 40 game season so you'd almost need some injuries to keep them all happy.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion