John toshack - Next lfc boss?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:39 pm

Here are the facts:

1. He has been the boards choice in the past but HE TURNED IT DOWN

2. He is EXPERIENCED AT THE HIGHEST level

3. The contract he is on with his current spanish club runs out in June.

He would not be my first choice but I think that he should be in the frame. I saw him interviewed after another poor LFC performance and He talked a lot about "square pegs in round holes" . He can see what true fans have been saying. He might also bring some good players with from Spain. Any thoughts?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:46 pm

Actually i prefer the porto manager... mourino i think. Won the Uefa cup with a very unfasionable team last season. And they just knock out Man U..........
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:29 pm

John Toshak is NOT the man for the Liverpool job.

He won the league for Real in 1990, and also did well with Soicedad years ago, but since then he has become a journey man manager in Spain going from one job to the next.

He is ok but I doubt if he is ultimately any better than GH.

I like Jose Mourinho a lot: a young manager with a great footballing brain, speaks English, is passionate and energetic and a very good motivator of players.

Martin O' Neill or Jose Mourinho are my choices.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby BOODIDDY » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:35 pm

Martin O'neill yes, Mourinho not sure it seems he's just the fav at the mo due to united thrashing. Anyhow, cant go foreign for me anymore, if not o'neill then Allardyce or Kenny
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:41 pm

I have liked Mourinho for a while.

UEFA have this late night champions league tv show/magazine which does a lot of interviews with players and staff from other leagues. Mourinho is often interviewed and he strikes me as a guy who knows his stuff.

Apparently Barcelona (where he used to be Bobby Robson's interpretor) and Real Madrid have been tracking him the last two years.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby BOODIDDY » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:52 pm

Apparently Liverpoolhave been tracking an UNPROVEN french striker for the past three years, that dont make him any good does it. My point is that we cant go with unproven foreigners anymore.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:09 am

Houllier, Thompson or maybe Dalglish.

If its anyone who's not got a history with the club then i would be extremely annoyed and betrayed and i would feel let down by the club. I want someone who cares.

Hopefully they'll take my application seriously and hire me, i'd keep thommo on, i'd keep in touch with Houllier and listen to his opinions on one or two things and ask him for tactical advice and variations to my game plans and take the best bits from both and i'd get Aldo in as an assistant to add a bit more passion and fire in the dressing room. :D

We can all dream.
115-1073096938

Postby Gbo » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:28 am

If Houllier goes there would be no point replacing him with Thompson (although i like the guy) as they both seem to be on the same wavelength so what would change??  I personally wouldn't mind seeing O'Neill as he has taken Celtic as far as he can.  The Porto manager is a good shout as he knows how to p#ss Ferguson off!!!!
Gbo

Postby simic_ie » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:35 am

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I'm worried about the fact that a loy t of people seem to be too preoccupied with getting a "proven" manager although a proven manager may not be the best man. How many of our own successful managers (Skanks, Paisley, Fagan and Daglish) were proven to any great degree as managers before taking over at Liverpool. Okay different era you might say, but look at Arsene Wenger, who heard of him 6 or 7 years ago, so lets get the right manager for the job, not necessarily the one with the best CV on paper.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:17 am

Stu - What bits of tactical advice would you be hoping to get from Houllier?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:05 pm

Kermit is keeping Owen as penalty taker - that says it all to me.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:10 pm

Owzat: here's a stat for you.

Owen has taken 23 penalties for Liverpool and missed 10 of these.

Impressive eh?  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:26 pm

I've heard Kermit called a "Tactical genius", quite recently too. How much genius is there in giving a golden scoring opportunity to someone who misses them that often?!?!?!?!?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:38 pm

the same tactical genius who sent us out for the second half against marseille with the first objective of "not conceding". yeah never mind scoring. that's not important in football.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Lord Lucan » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:38 pm

Job Vacancy;
                    Wanted small reliable fellow who can cope with pressure of kicking bag of wind into either top left or top rightof a football goal net.
              competitive rates of pay approx £80,000 per week + bonuses.

applicants should have experience ideally, however training is available if required...
                            please return applications to Tommy Cooper Anfield...................................
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly
Lord Lucan

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion