John toshack - Better credentials than gh

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:12 pm

What do you guys think about john toshack as liverpool manager (at this moment anyone but GH for me).

He seems to have better credentials than GH. He managed Madrid & Deportivo.

Why wasn't he chosen as Liverpool Manager instead of GH in the 1st place ?

Your views please.........

http://www.koptalk.org/forums....1

Managerial candidate becomes available

Liverpool legend John Toshack has announced that he will not stay on as manager of relegated Murcia next season.

The former Swansea City, St Etienne, Real Madrid, Besiktas, Sporting Lisbon, Deportivo La Coruna and Real Sociedad boss made the announcement after his side lost 1-0 to Real Betis at the weekend. The result sends Murcia back into the Spanish second division following promotion last summer.

Toshack was persuaded to take the job by struggling Murcia back in January but their problems would appear to be more deep-rooted than simply needing a new manager. They have only won three games all season and two of them were after Toshack was brought in.

Despite Murcia wanting to retain Toshack, his decision is final. He said: I will continue working here until the end of my contract which is May 23rd and then I wish Murcia all the best.

"I hope that the people who take decisions get it right next season. Relegation is something new for me, but I am not planning to hide away. When I came here, I was convinced that we could avoid relegation, if that had not been the case, I never would have come."

Toshack is a very experienced and well respected coach. He'd jump at the Liverpool job if it was offered to him and the last we heard was that he had been short-listed by the Anfield board as a possible replacement to Gerard Houllier (although that was towards the end of 2003 so that could have changed now). If he is on the short-list to replace Houllier, both he and Kenny Dalglish (if either were offered the job) could be recruited without the Reds having to pay out any kind of compensation as they are obviously both free agents. That could prove a very important factor in considering any future appointments. We'd certainly want to see him considered if Gerard Houllier was to leave the club.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby THEBARON » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:15 pm

I think that Toshack would have probably been a better bet when Souness left rather than now. He  certainly has a varied and extensive managerial cv but if you actually look at his managerial history then his record is mixed.
That's not to say he wouldn't take the job and give it his best crack..it's just that there may be better options out there ( if they are available )
If Moores and Parry actually decide to show Houllier the door then it is absolutely vital that we make the right choice with his successor. When Houillier took sole charge we were still considered amongst the big guns , Man Utd and Arsenal were top dogs but we were still regarded as a potentially big threat. Now Chelsea have overtaken us and Newcastle are closer to winning a trophy than us this term.
If Houllier goes then his successor is unlikely to get the same financial backing , much of Houllier's  earliest signings ( and arguably his best ) were financed by the Granada issue.
If we have failed to make the top 4 then how likely is Owen to stay, perhaps a new face ( with a proven track record ) may encourage him to extend his current contract.
What is certain is that if we appoint the wrong person then in 2 - 3 years time we could be in an even worse state than we are now.
THEBARON

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:07 pm

toshack would have been a good choice in 1991 when we appointed souness, not now though, i dont think he would give us what we need. Plus the club needs to move on from the old days and build for new succesful period
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:31 pm

Finally someone who agree's, I've been suggesting Toshak for ages, he's respected in Europe, won stuff with Real, and he's a Liverpool legend!! :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:41 pm

john toshack is NOT the man for liverpool football club.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:53 pm

The majority of Toshacks achievements came much earlier in his career. His track record over the past few years is generally one of a journeyman manager in La Liga + 1 farcical spell as Welsh manager. I agree, he would have been a good choice when Souness left but i am not so keen now.

Having said that, if you gave me the choice. Houllier or Toshack i would take Toshack.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:55 pm

stmichael wrote:john toshack is NOT the man for liverpool football club.

He was manager of Besiktas for 1 or 2 years...We closely know him in Turkey...

He is a crazy man but i think his abilities aren't enough for Liverpool...There are plenty of good managers for you...

Think about somebody else...
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion