Jimmy bullard - 5million would do it!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:12 pm

My local league side is Peterborough United, who i go and see two or three times a season; the club who had Bullard before he went to Wigan. Barry Fry regarded him as a real prospect and the general concensus locally was that he would eventually become an international standard player.

I have to be honest and say that i have not seen him play since he left Posh, but he was the best player in the league by a street before he left and he seems to have improved.

Given the right conditions and coaching he would do well for us, he has a great engine and can tackle a bit too - he also has a very sweet right foot. His weakness is that he does not have genuine pace and cannot really run past defenders. He is one for the future but really not worth more thn 3 million or so.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:17 pm

i agree with stu the red that many fans are quick to dismiss players from the so called "lesser teams". they're under some delusion that because we are the european champions we should be splashing millions and millions on the best players in the world. i'm sorry but it doesn't work like that.

we could certainly do a lot worse than bullard. i think he's a good player. he's also played something like 150 league games on the trot for wigan which is superb.

i'll mention matthew etherington aswell . is anyone seriously saying that he wouldn't offer more than kewell?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:20 pm

Etherington is another ex Peterborough lad - a very underrated talent. This lad has pace and can dribble and cross the ball - in my opinion he is better than Damien Duff at the same age.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:48 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Red squirrel wrote:Chimbonda is clumsy and gets his defence in trouble all too often. Not sure anyone from Wigan would improve our squad anyway.These all sound like Houllier targets and would you really want to gamble on low cost budget buys again. Top teams buy top players for top money and thats just a fact of life im afraid.

Agreed, I mean...

Hyypia 3m, Vieira 3.5m, Pires 5m, Finnan 3m, Gallas 6m...

Yeah totally. I mean, all great players always cost money. Players like these never happen. Its all imagination. Not being funny kids, but anyone who doesn't rate Bullard simply can't spot a football player.

People rave about the likes of Fabregas etc when there are lads out there that are twice the player but never had a chance in a good side. At the end of the day, if you can spot a good player when you see one, you'd see how good Bullard is.

Bullard, Pennant and Ashton are amoungst the best in the country at what they do, yet they don't play or top sides...

Reputation, simple as that.

To many idiots in the game these days.

Please Stu. Just let go. We don't need your average players here. And trying to legitimate your ideas with silly logic doesn't fly. People rave about Fabregas because he is playing regularly at age 18 in a top league. Now that's probably a good indication of him having a fair bit of talent. If Bullard was 18 maybe he would be considered a big talent too?

And you get nowhere with that Hyypia 3 m, Vieira 3,5m, Pires 5m thing either. Of course there is a chance of getting a good deal for a small price. But there are also big big failures in that price range. Cheyrou 5m, Diao 4m, Diomede 3m, Paul Stewart 1,8m, and so on and so on.

Buying big is no guarantee either. For every success like Duff, there is also a failure like Veron or Diouf.

Whan you say that I don't understand football because I don't rate Bullard you're way off. I rate him and I think most people do. But that doesn't mean he should play for Liverpool. He is good, but he is not good enough. Simple as that. Now go to bed lad and tomorrow celebrate christmas. And just forget this silly thread.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:46 pm

banana wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Red squirrel wrote:Chimbonda is clumsy and gets his defence in trouble all too often. Not sure anyone from Wigan would improve our squad anyway.These all sound like Houllier targets and would you really want to gamble on low cost budget buys again. Top teams buy top players for top money and thats just a fact of life im afraid.

Agreed, I mean...

Hyypia 3m, Vieira 3.5m, Pires 5m, Finnan 3m, Gallas 6m...

Yeah totally. I mean, all great players always cost money. Players like these never happen. Its all imagination. Not being funny kids, but anyone who doesn't rate Bullard simply can't spot a football player.

People rave about the likes of Fabregas etc when there are lads out there that are twice the player but never had a chance in a good side. At the end of the day, if you can spot a good player when you see one, you'd see how good Bullard is.

Bullard, Pennant and Ashton are amoungst the best in the country at what they do, yet they don't play or top sides...

Reputation, simple as that.

To many idiots in the game these days.

Please Stu. Just let go. We don't need your average players here. And trying to legitimate your ideas with silly logic doesn't fly. People rave about Fabregas because he is playing regularly at age 18 in a top league. Now that's probably a good indication of him having a fair bit of talent. If Bullard was 18 maybe he would be considered a big talent too?

And you get nowhere with that Hyypia 3 m, Vieira 3,5m, Pires 5m thing either. Of course there is a chance of getting a good deal for a small price. But there are also big big failures in that price range. Cheyrou 5m, Diao 4m, Diomede 3m, Paul Stewart 1,8m, and so on and so on.

Buying big is no guarantee either. For every success like Duff, there is also a failure like Veron or Diouf.

Whan you say that I don't understand football because I don't rate Bullard you're way off. I rate him and I think most people do. But that doesn't mean he should play for Liverpool. He is good, but he is not good enough. Simple as that. Now go to bed lad and tomorrow celebrate christmas. And just forget this silly thread.

He's not good enough?

You're going to sit there and say to me Traore, Josemi, Sissy are good enough?

Are you telling me that playing players out of position is good enough. I'll tell you what, Bullard is easily at the same level as Sissoko if not higher. The fact is the boy can play and he can play in a position we seriously lack. He would improve the team. Any improvement in the TEAM is a good thing. He'll make us stronger, not weaker and we're already very strong.

Mind you, improvement isn't what some people seem to want.

You go on about the likes of Simao, but all i see there is another Smicer. A good player in a weak league who lacks the qualities to play in this division. Infact, i reckon if we do sign Simao, he won't play out wide as he simply doesn't have the quality.

The likes of Bullard or Pennant would get into the team and give us something we don't have.

Pennant and Ashton are two players of extreme quality, yet you call them average?

I'm sorry, that to me shows how much you actually follow english football.

Those two lads would improve our side immensely. Ashton lacks Crouch's vision, but has his touch and intelligence, more pace, skill and is a very big goal threat. Infact, i'd go as far to say as he's better than both Crouch and Morientes...
115-1073096938

Postby drummerphil » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:52 pm

I for one rate Ashton highly and its criminal we never signed him before he left Crewe for Norwich.I think the lad is the new Alan Shearer in waiting.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:01 pm

The boys got a bit of everthing at 23. He's lethal infront of goal.

He'd be a 25 goal a season man in a quality team. I'm glad the likes of Chelsea haven't looked at him as he's a damn site better than Drogba. Unfortunately there's no way we'd sign him as he's English and we now have Crouch.

Having seen Ashton live a few times i'd be VERY suprised if he didn't end up moving in January, he's scoring goals again this season in an average Norwich side, he was Crewe's team last year, soon as he left they struggled and last season he almost single handedly kept Norwich in the premiership.

He'll probably end up at somewhere like City or Newcastle. Him and Owen upfront would be something really special.
115-1073096938

Postby Red squirrel » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:30 pm

Its a good job Benitez is manager and not you Stu....
:p
Red squirrel

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:39 pm

Just because i don't sit here talking about overated players all the time and listening to the :censored: on the tv doesn't mean i can't see whats going on.

Unlike some people "red squirrel" i don't underestimate good players because of the team they are playing for and i also don't buy that certain players are as good as they are made out again... because of the team they played for.

I know a good player when i see one. Good footballers go into teams and develop from there. They develop styles of play and then certain attributes start to show.

The media always has darlings like Lamplard and Wright
Phillips, however they aren't always the best players. I could name 5 centre mids in england better than Lamplard and i could name two or three right wingers better than Wright-Phillips... yet the two of them are regulars for England...
115-1073096938

Postby Lionheart » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:05 am

Stu...I think you've just argued yourself into a corner. :)

But if what you say is true wouldn't everyone be chasing these players. Sure, at times players such as Ashton & Bullard can play alongside the best and they look good BUT, can they do it consistently, and still look as though they deserve to be there??

If Rafa could get one or both cheaply then they might become reasonable squad players but they wouldn't be 1st pick players such as Alonso & Gerrard...and before you come back with the "do you think Sissoko is better" arguement, I believe Sissoko is a squad player. And frankly, Ashton & Bullard would/should opt to play regular 1st team rather than come off the bench for the likes of LFC.

Anyway, this is an age old arguement and what you see in a player another has no hope of seeing. That's just the way it is. 

:D

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion