Jimmy bullard - 5million would do it!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mighty mo » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:55 pm

he is not european champions class
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:59 pm

Crouch isn't either but he's been making a difference. If Stu is shouting for Bullard, then what about Zolton Gera from West Brom :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dundalk » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:02 pm

A.B. wrote:Crouch isn't either but he's been making a difference. If Stu is shouting for Bullard, then what about Zolton Gera from West Brom :D

Now he's not bad he has a good touch and can go past a player, how much would he be  :rasp
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:04 pm

banana wrote:Stu. You are looking to build a top 10 side. I'm looking for a championship winning side. That's the difference between us. Bullard, Barton and Ashton (and players of similar abilities)could well play in a top 10 side. But to win big throphies you need players like Vieira, Alonso, Shevshenko. That is the quality we are looking for.

I can see that the Bullard lad is a decent footballer. But I also see limitations in his game that will make it impossible for him to take the next step. That is becoming an international player and a player in a top club (barcelona, Inter, Man U, Liverpool, Bayern Munich etc.)

I honestly thought this was a joke. But it seems it ain't, or is it?

See this is my point exactly.

We don't need 11 players with world class ability. What we need is the right ingredients within FOOTBALLERS to have a great team. Bullard is a TEAM player and has ability in all area's of the game. He would improve certain aspects playing with the likes of Alonso and Gerrard.

Teams aren't made of 10 superstars. As for your assessment of Ashton being of similar ability you've got to be joking? The boys quality. He's not a good player, he's a quality player. He's got everything. He is exceptionally good infront of goal and with his link up and hold up play.

Vieira i remember was a "nobody" before Arsenal signed him. Players like Ashton simply need someone to provide the stage and they'll light it up. I'm not saying he's world class, he has however the potential to become class. Class isn't a term i use lightly.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:15 pm

I tell you what, i'm well impressed with people's arguements on here about why we shouldn't sign a player...

Because he plays for Wigan.
Because no-one else signed him.
Because he's not champions class.
Because he's not been heard of.
Because i don't know who he is and have never seen him so i'll scoff at it.
Because he's not foreign and doesn't have a fancy name.
Because he'd be available at a good price.

Another player i called was Dean Whitehead of Sunderland, not my cup of tea, but he's being linked with a move to other prem clubs. The fact is people don't actually know what they are commenting on.

Steve Finnan for example, 26 when he made his premiership debeut. Now arguabley the second best in the league in his position.

William Gallas, wasn't even assured of a place in Marsielle's team, yet Chelsea sign him at 25 and now he's recognised as one of the top 10 centre halfs in the world.

Bullard isn't Beckham at his best, he's not Joaquin and he's not Zidane. What he is a damn good footballer, consistently playing well for a DECENT side in the best league in the world. He's got good ability in ALL area's and most importantly... he knows how to play FOOTBALL and is a TEAM player. He also plays in a position we have NO-ONE for with the exception of our best player who has to play out of position.
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:16 pm

Dundalk wrote:
A.B. wrote:Crouch isn't either but he's been making a difference. If Stu is shouting for Bullard, then what about Zolton Gera from West Brom :D

Now he's not bad he has a good touch and can go past a player, how much would he be  :rasp

2 million tops, and I was being serious. Zelton Gera stuck out like a sore thumb last season. This year, he's been unfortunate with a bit of injuries.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:17 pm

Another player i called was Dean Whitehead of Sunderland, not my cup of tea, but he's being linked with a move to other prem clubs. The fact is people don't actually know what they are commenting on.

Actually one of those prem clubs that he's being linked with is us.

Here:
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NGoto/122198818?-11194
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Garymac » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:34 pm

mighty mo wrote:he is not european champions class

Djimi Traore is one of the worst defenders i have ever seen grace the premiership, yet he played a full game against AC Milan in the final, so what do you define as a european champion player?? Jimmy Bullard is the type of player who rafa would be intrested in, gives 100%, works hard, passes well, carrys out defensive duties, he possesses all the qualitys Rafa would look for in a player and would add another element to are squad, personally id see the price before id get him but he would command a place in are squad.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:30 pm

Remember Gary Ablett? He was often described as being sub standard for years yet played a large portion of games in one of the best English club sides of all time, in 1987/88.

You don't need 11 world class players to be a world class team.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby banana » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:42 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
banana wrote:Stu. You are looking to build a top 10 side. I'm looking for a championship winning side. That's the difference between us. Bullard, Barton and Ashton (and players of similar abilities)could well play in a top 10 side. But to win big throphies you need players like Vieira, Alonso, Shevshenko. That is the quality we are looking for.

I can see that the Bullard lad is a decent footballer. But I also see limitations in his game that will make it impossible for him to take the next step. That is becoming an international player and a player in a top club (barcelona, Inter, Man U, Liverpool, Bayern Munich etc.)

I honestly thought this was a joke. But it seems it ain't, or is it?

See this is my point exactly.

We don't need 11 players with world class ability. What we need is the right ingredients within FOOTBALLERS to have a great team. Bullard is a TEAM player and has ability in all area's of the game. He would improve certain aspects playing with the likes of Alonso and Gerrard.

Teams aren't made of 10 superstars. As for your assessment of Ashton being of similar ability you've got to be joking? The boys quality. He's not a good player, he's a quality player. He's got everything. He is exceptionally good infront of goal and with his link up and hold up play.

Vieira i remember was a "nobody" before Arsenal signed him. Players like Ashton simply need someone to provide the stage and they'll light it up. I'm not saying he's world class, he has however the potential to become class. Class isn't a term i use lightly.

Stu man why bother. Just forget this post. It is stu.pid and probably a result of you going online after having a fair dose of beer.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:15 pm

stu_the_red wrote:[The problem is these days mate no-one knows a player when they see one. They all want pace, or a great passer or a great tackler, or a 6ft centre half or a pacey dribbler.

Its all bollox mate. No-one wants a footballer.

Stu, first of all apologies for only quoting part of your post, pi.sses me off sometimes when what I say gets quoted out of context, but just wanted to pick up on the above point you were making.

I appreciate the points you're making about Bullard, he's a good player from what I've seen but in all honesty I've not seen him play that many times.

The point about no-one wants a footballer is a good one.  But in all honesty Stu, I thionk gone are the days when you can 'just' be a good footballer and make it to the top.  Such is the quality of the premiership these days that players need to have something else about them apart from being a technically good player.  Go through any of the top sides and almost every player will have something that sets them apart from the average premiership player, whether it be great pace, a great dribbler or whatever.

Pace is the big one.  Most of the top premiership players have it, it is becoming increasingly necessary for top players to be good athletes AND good footballers.  Obviously there are exceptions to this, but for the most part it's true.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red squirrel » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:27 pm

Cant believe we're talking about Bullard. He'd be out of his depth at Anfield. He's not good enough.
Simple as that!!
Red squirrel

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:38 pm

Good call Stu. I've been singing this lad's praises for months in the pub.

So long as we're not talking anything over £4m, he's well, well worth a look. For me we need two good options for the right, and for work-rate alone I'd have him on my shortlist. I have a feeling we'll end up signing a continental in the vein of Simao, and the last thing you want is them coming over and being complacent. With someone like Bullard nipping at their heels, impressing with subs appearances and getting the occasional long spell in the first 11, you'll end up with two players consistently putting in top quality performances simply because they want to show the gaffer that they don't want to be dropped.

I must admit he looks more like a central midfielder playing out of position when he's on the right, but he's more than capable, and the fact that he can happily do this, and to a high standard, would be another example of Gerrard/Riise/Finnan/Carra/Garcia style versatility. Invaluable through the course of a season.

Yes, this season could turn out to be a one off high point for Bullard (see Kevin Phillips; James Beattie), but you can't not sign people in case they have a sh*t run of form 18 months down the line. If Wigan's coaches have managed to get these kind of performances out of him, you'd have to think that Rafa and co wouldn't let him go backwards. Key moment this season was his all-round performance against Arsenal - they were quickly 2-0 down and lost 3-2, but to be honest they could've won in the end, and he was central to every attack they made. His goal against them in particular was a peach. He made Campbell look like an absolute lemon with a cool little dummy before cracking one in.
ivor_the_injun

Postby masterraj » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:10 am

I was at the match when we played wigan and when the match started I thought he was the wee kid that comes out with the team he was so small, although I suppose that hair would have took at least 18 years to grow.:p
masterraj

Postby vlady16.1 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:24 am

its funny -- i hear people clammoring for star foriegn players -- can we say galacticos and boy are they just cleaning up -- remember all 'teams' have role players and not everyone needs to have blazing speed size and the skills of cisse (haha)

you need muckers who play hard, have a good skill set which can complement -- we have steve and xabi so we really don't need another 'world class european' on the wing, just a competent hard working never say die english player -- face it he may be real good when playing on a good team -- at least he would try as opposed to some unamed frenchman
vlady16.1

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion