Jermaine pennant - Should rafa let him rot?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:43 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Pennant is SHI.TE - FACT

worse than kuyt? i dont think so mate. Pennants no world beater , but he can do a decent job and at leasts provide width and give the strikers something to work with Kuyt does neither
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby triggerred38 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:46 am

Agreed Pennant is not world class, however, he is a far better option than the headless chicken that is Kuyt.

Yes Rafa he never stops running - well neither did Forest Gump and you would not want him on the wing!!!

He should have been an option against Villa

:eyebrow
Dave J
triggerred38

Postby neil » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:55 am

yeah I'd play Pennant before Kuyt
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:31 am

Didn't there used to be a decent poster on this forum with the same username as you? I'm sure there was.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:06 am

PEnant has scored two goals in al lthe time he has been here from right wing, Kuyt has around 15.

Penant has managed 8 assists since he has been here Kuyt is on around 28.

Just because one is a winger and one was a stiker means fuc.k all.

Ray Kennedy was one of our greatest left midfielders and started life up front.

*Disclaimer - I am not comparing Ray to Dirk, just highlighting the short sightedness of the agument. I am also cr.ap at moderating and my posts are all garbage so you may as well take no notice of me.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:10 am

That's better Leon, I knew you had it in you.  :D
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Almighty Red » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:PEnant has scored two goals in al lthe time he has been here from right wing, Kuyt has around 15.

*Disclaimer - I am not comparing Ray to Dirk, just highlighting the short sightedness of the agument. I am also cr.ap at moderating and my posts are all garbage so you may as well take no notice of me.

How many games has Pennant played in comparison to Kuyt, though?

EDIT:
OK, Pennant's played 76 and Kuyt has played 101. I guess that means Kuyt > Pennant.
Almighty Red

Postby Thewaykokid » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:24 am

I for one am hoping we never have to see Pennant or Kuyt starting again thanks to new signing of Riera :blues: push Babel out right, i reckon the lad can get used to a right wing position :)
If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:42 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:PEnant has scored two goals in al lthe time he has been here from right wing, Kuyt has around 15.

Spot on Leon - Kuyt has shown to be more effective than pennant playing out on the right .
Last edited by GYBS on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:29 pm

Pennant is a good winger IN THEORY, the problem is all the things he CAN (allegedly) do he doesn't.

Not sure Kuyt has 15 goals from the wing, his current scoring rate is around 1 every 3 or 4 games so he'd have to have played around 60 games. But Pennant has so few goals, one of which was a fluke, and his return of assists was equally dire. It's no good being quick, supposedly able to beat defenders and be able to cross or shoot, the returns are what count, the end product. Pennant doesn't have one, Kuyt perhaps works too hard and that can negate the effectiveness of him playing on the right.

Once his role changed against Liege he was getting in good shooting positions and scored. In one short period in the match he was on the right passing the ball out of play (because El Zhar was not on the wing, did he get stick for that? NO), not long after he was in front of the back four tackling and then not long after that he was to the left of centre. If Rafa wants to play him on the right, maybe it would help if he was given a more narrow and defined role and made to stick to the wing. It's great he works back, but you can't maintain shape if your man on the right isn't on the right most of the time.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:39 pm

playing for the reserves tonight so will be interesting to see how he gets on.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben1988 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:53 pm

Owzat wrote:

Pennant is a good winger IN THEORY, the problem is all the things he CAN (allegedly) do he doesn't.

Not sure Kuyt has 15 goals from the wing, his current scoring rate is around 1 every 3 or 4 games so he'd have to have played around 60 games. But Pennant has so few goals, one of which was a fluke, and his return of assists was equally dire. It's no good being quick, supposedly able to beat defenders and be able to cross or shoot, the returns are what count, the end product. Pennant doesn't have one, Kuyt perhaps works too hard and that can negate the effectiveness of him playing on the right.

Once his role changed against Liege he was getting in good shooting positions and scored. In one short period in the match he was on the right passing the ball out of play (because El Zhar was not on the wing, did he get stick for that? NO), not long after he was in front of the back four tackling and then not long after that he was to the left of centre. If Rafa wants to play him on the right, maybe it would help if he was given a more narrow and defined role and made to stick to the wing. It's great he works back, but you can't maintain shape if your man on the right isn't on the right most of the time.

I agree with this... and feel that if he is given a few chances and can build his confidence up he could become a good squad player again. He will never be a world class player and will probably not get the chances others would get and therefore i think he will end up going in January
Ben1988

Postby Owzat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:06 pm

stmichael wrote:playing for the reserves tonight so will be interesting to see how he gets on.

and..................? Come on scout
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:07 pm

well owzat i just looked it up he did play on the 17th but if you read below he didn't do that much, they lost 2-1 and didn't show much attacking play but to be fair that was there first loss in almost a year

i think it was because he was playing :p  :p

Having included the likes of David Ngog and Jermaine Pennant in his starting XI, Ablett will have been disappointed with the first 45 and his side's lack of attacking verve, particularly as the visitors' didn't have a chance of note until the dying embers of the half when a Damien Plessis drive and a Daniel Pacheco free-kick finally forced Nick Colgan into action.
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:25 pm

GRAHAM01 wrote:well owzat i just looked it up he did play on the 17th but if you read below he didn't do that much, they lost 2-1 and didn't show much attacking play but to be fair that was there first loss in almost a year

i think it was because he was playing :p  :p

Having included the likes of David Ngog and Jermaine Pennant in his starting XI, Ablett will have been disappointed with the first 45 and his side's lack of attacking verve, particularly as the visitors' didn't have a chance of note until the dying embers of the half when a Damien Plessis drive and a Daniel Pacheco free-kick finally forced Nick Colgan into action.

Thanks.

Played well against Crewe, so maybe he's finally found his level
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion