Jermaine pennant - Regular or bit part

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Wilhelmsson » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 pm

I’m not an avid admirer of Pennant’s ability; I have several niggling issues with Pennant:

1) Pennant doesn’t beat his man enough for my liking; more often than not he will cut in, therefore creating congestion within the centre of the final third.

2) As stated previously, he doesn’t offer enough of a goal threat, when a chance is presented to Pennant, he does not take it, instead he’ll opt to pass to the ball back into the centre or he’ll try and cross the ball into the box.

3) He’s a fantastic crosser of the ball; however much of his crosses was wasted last season, because of the lack of team mates within – in the 18 yard box.

This season I want to Pennant to display more intelligence than he did last season. He has the speed to run at defenders and bring defenders to the sword deep within the final third.

I’d like to see Pennant cut into the opposition box when there is a lack of personnel in the box instead of aimlessly crossing the ball in and if he doesn’t manage to create chances for himself in front of goal, I’d like to see him hold the ball up or bring Finnan into play.

If Pennant can produce more goals and more intelligence, as well as higher rate of performance, I will happily eat humble pie.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:34 pm

I think Finnan could play RWB. At the moment in 4-4-2, he is very disciplined in his attacking play, so I don't think it would be difficult for him to adapt. I think it would be more LWB the problem. If it's Riise then because the lad doesn't posses a great deal of pace, we'd be often caught short when he roams on forward. So I think it'd be best to have an attacking left winger as the left wing back and a centre half at the back who can play left back. So when we go forward we're 3-5-2 and when we're defending we can go 4-4-2.

Unfortunately this means that Pennant and probably Yossi miss out, IF and only IF Rafa keeps a settled 11 in a settled formation, which looks highly unlikely. So I think we might as well just accept that every player will be picked on a regular basis but will also be dropped on a regular basis. apart from those who are certainties, Reina/Carra/Gerrard and possibly Torres.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:19 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:I’m not an avid admirer of Pennant’s ability; I have several niggling issues with Pennant:

1) Pennant doesn’t beat his man enough for my liking; more often than not he will cut in, therefore creating congestion within the centre of the final third.

2) As stated previously, he doesn’t offer enough of a goal threat, when a chance is presented to Pennant, he does not take it, instead he’ll opt to pass to the ball back into the centre or he’ll try and cross the ball into the box.

3) He’s a fantastic crosser of the ball; however much of his crosses was wasted last season, because of the lack of team mates within – in the 18 yard box.

This season I want to Pennant to display more intelligence than he did last season. He has the speed to run at defenders and bring defenders to the sword deep within the final third.

I’d like to see Pennant cut into the opposition box when there is a lack of personnel in the box instead of aimlessly crossing the ball in and if he doesn’t manage to create chances for himself in front of goal, I’d like to see him hold the ball up or bring Finnan into play.

If Pennant can produce more goals and more intelligence, as well as higher rate of performance, I will happily eat humble pie.

Pretty good assessment I think.

I think the kid's got ability but he definitely needs to improve his end product considerably. I mean a lot of fans gave him the man of the match in Athens. My reading of the game was that he got behind his full back about five times and did nothing with it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:52 pm

Isn't this partly what preseason is for, to see the form the contenders for a position show and choose the starting XI. We'll have a CL qualifier to boot, try whoever shows best in pre-season. I wouldn't pick Pennant simply because he's served longest, he wasn't convincing last season and you sign a good player to give competition for places not simply to benchwarm. I'd be disappointed if we sign someone only to deny him a chance to earn a starting place through some kind of pecking order. Clean sheet, both start preseason equal, that is the only fair way
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:16 pm

stmichael wrote:Pretty good assessment I think.

I think the kid's got ability but he definitely needs to improve his end product considerably. I mean a lot of fans gave him the man of the match in Athens. My reading of the game was that he got behind his full back about five times and did nothing with it.

Pennant has ability IMO, he just hasn’t maximised it and I am still unconvinced whether he can handle playing at a club which such weight of expectation on his shoulders.

Pennant was very conservative in his play last season and for much of it looked like a player without an ounce of confidence in his ability, which started to lead me to believe the pressures of this club weighed him down and his mental strength, might not be up to the standard required to be a successful player at the club.

I thought Pennant didn’t use his abilities to his advantage and exploit AC Milan’s lack of pace at the back to full effect. Then again, none of our attackers looked spectacular that evening, so I will collectively criticise the attacking players who participated rather than one or two individuals (Pennant).

If Pennant is still as conservative in his play as he was last season and if he doesn’t show any signs of improvement this season, then I will be advocating his sale from the club. I wasn’t overly impressed with acquisition of Pennant when I saw it on SS, but I have and will support him and as I have stated previously, I hope he proves me wrong.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:13 am

I think Wilhelmsson has been a little harsh on Pennant.

"Hold it up and bring Finnan into play" That's going to be difficult when Finnan is 40/50 yards down the field which he usually is on a regular basis. So if Pennant was to bring Finnan into play, we'd have lost the chance. Also it's not very easy to bring full backs into play when you have players like A.Cole up your ar.se.

Again Pennant's job is to create chances, not score them. I agree he and the rest of the midfield should chip in with a few more but in fact if they can chip in with 10 between them but between them create a further 50 I'd be much happier than them scoring 20 and only creating another 20. So I don't think it's vital for Pennant to be banging the goals in for us and also you say he wasted many crosses because of lack of support in the box. It's up to Kuyt/Crouch and now Torres to be in that box, along with Gerrard and whoever our left winger is it at the time to support Pennant when he has the ball on the right. Just as I'd expect Pennant to be in the box when our left winger has the ball. If Pennant waited for support and players in the box on a regular basis the chance would of gone. Pennant's job is to swing the ball in, if there's nobody in the middle to put the ball away then it's not his fault.

I'm not saying Pennant is the finished article, far from it, but I think personally your estimate of his contribution is slightly under appriciated. He creates enough chances, if the players are there. He can't constantly try and beat the full back and wait for players to arrive. He has to get the ball in early, so therefore I think it's up to the rest of the attacking players to get into the chances.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby RedorDead » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:02 am

This is a debate that is going to run and run across numerous threads all season long in my opinion.
Our defence practically picks itself, our stikers too are pretty set with good players to bring on off the bench. Left side of midfield is also a fairl straight forward choice with Kewell or Babel alternating with Riise on occasion....the debate will be on the right and in the middle. The two areas are linked so strongly because of one player...Steven Gerrard. He is our best central midfielder (he's Europe's best central midfielder!!) but he is also our best right winger, the season before last he was unbelievable on the right, so what do you do?
Pennant has shown promise for sure but he is most certainly NOT the finished article. He lacks consistancy and end product for me and while he has his qualities (crossing, pace) he seems to lack the game intelligence to make best use of the ball, I think that is reflected in his lack of goals.
For me our most balanced team allowing most of best players to play has Gerrard on the right with Alonso and either Mascherano/Sissoko in the middle...BUT BUT BUT....to utilise our best player in his best position you have to play Gerrard in the middle with either Mascherano and Sissoko with him which allows Pennant to play right side.
Both set ups have pro's and con's and like I said I wouldn't be surprised to see more 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 set ups this season. If that is the case then Pennant has probably got more chance of playing, I think he'd definitly play right side in a 3-5-2 and could even come on in the 4-3-3.
To answer the question I think Pennant will not be a definite starter every game but then only 4-5 players in our squad are going to be able claim that this season I think with Rafa set to continue rotating players and formations. I would hope he settles on a starting eleven for the league campaign at least but even then I would only rate Pennants chances as 50-50 in cementing the right wing role.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:22 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I think Wilhelmsson has been a little harsh on Pennant.

"Hold it up and bring Finnan into play" That's going to be difficult when Finnan is 40/50 yards down the field which he usually is on a regular basis. So if Pennant was to bring Finnan into play, we'd have lost the chance. Also it's not very easy to bring full backs into play when you have players like A.Cole up your ar.se.

Again Pennant's job is to create chances, not score them. I agree he and the rest of the midfield should chip in with a few more but in fact if they can chip in with 10 between them but between them create a further 50 I'd be much happier than them scoring 20 and only creating another 20. So I don't think it's vital for Pennant to be banging the goals in for us and also you say he wasted many crosses because of lack of support in the box. It's up to Kuyt/Crouch and now Torres to be in that box, along with Gerrard and whoever our left winger is it at the time to support Pennant when he has the ball on the right. Just as I'd expect Pennant to be in the box when our left winger has the ball. If Pennant waited for support and players in the box on a regular basis the chance would of gone. Pennant's job is to swing the ball in, if there's nobody in the middle to put the ball away then it's not his fault.

I'm not saying Pennant is the finished article, far from it, but I think personally your estimate of his contribution is slightly under appriciated. He creates enough chances, if the players are there. He can't constantly try and beat the full back and wait for players to arrive. He has to get the ball in early, so therefore I think it's up to the rest of the attacking players to get into the chances.

IIRC Finnan is virtually always advancing forward when Liverpool are either on the counter attack/attacking the opposition. If Pennant is boxed in on the right wing, he can hold the ball up and bring Finnan into the fray.

You speak of potential ‘chances’ being missed with Pennant holding up the ball, in an advanced position and you raise a good point about Pennant holding up the ball could lead to missed chances. If there are fellow team mates in and around the box or in good areas elsewhere on the pitch, then I would expect Pennant to use his intelligence and cross or pass the ball to these players.

Too many times last season, Pennant crossed the ball into the box when there was a lack of personnel in and around the opposition box. Why cross the ball if there is no/little potential outlets?

I accept your point about the possible problem of having an opposition defender looming near a winger when trying to bring a full back into play, however it can be achieved and he doesn’t necessarily have to bring Finnan into play. Pennant can bring someone else into play or even better he can advance forward into the opposition box and either have a strike on goal, gain a penalty or a set piece around the box.

It’s Pennant’s job to create goals and score when the chance to score arrives to him. If a player has a chance to strike on goal then (providing another team mate isn’t in a better position) the player should take such a chance. Pennant, more often than not, will have a chance presented to him, in a good position and he’ll pass it back to someone else. IMO it has to be a confidence issue, because he can score, the technique that went into Pennant’s debut goal against Chelsea, was nothing short of remarkable.

It’s not vital for Pennant to be getting on the scoresheet, week in and week out providing he is assisting on a regular basis, I accept this and I advocate this. However it is vital for Pennant to take chances when they are presented to him. I don’t want to see him dashing back out to the right wing and cross the ball in or pass the ball to Gerrard, I want to see him have a strike on goal. 

It is of course the responsibility of the forwards to make sure they are in and around the box when the team is in attack. This goes without saying; however it’s important that Pennant doesn’t waste possession by crossing the ball into the box when there is a lack of personnel into the box, because that’s just wasting possession. Intelligence is needed, any player can cross the ball aimlessly into the box.

Pennant won’t be the finished article until he starts being more adventurous, taking more gambles, being more creative and showing intelligence.

In turn this will lead to better performances, a higher rate of confidence and a better player at the end of the season. If Pennant continues to aimlessly whip balls into the box when there is a lack of team mates to get on the end of his crosses will lead to him being sold IMO.
Wilhelmsson

Postby weblover » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:37 pm

no he dousnt impress me
i think nabil zhar is better
weblover

Postby weblover » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:38 pm

:angry: zhar is coming
weblover

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:45 pm

I agree with many points being raised by Wilhelmsson but I can't agree with him swinging the ball in where there's little support. This was my whole point earlier. If he puts the ball when there's little support I'd rather see that than him hold the ball up, wait for support, try and take on the full back and lose the ball and chance. If he puts the ball in, even if there's only the one Liverpool team-mate he has a better chance of that creating a goal than waiting for more people to get forward and he would of lost the chance to cross by then. I'd rather see him swing the ball in constantly whether or not there is a great deal of support, however I can see how this would frustrate many fans.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Wilhelmsson » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:38 pm

This season will show if Pennant’s constant aimless crossing will prove to be success or not. :)
Wilhelmsson

Postby RichardLFC1 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:46 pm

I rate Pennant very high and think he has looked the sharpest in pre season

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:16 pm

RichardLFC1 wrote:I rate Pennant very high and think he has looked the sharpest in pre season

I agre on both points.
JoeTerp

Postby hello_red » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:04 pm

I rate Pennant and think he can deliver, especially in the games where points must be won ie lower league position oppo.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion