Jermaine pennant - Regular or bit part

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:43 am

Bamaga man wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Pennant has improved but still doesn't convince me . Would like to see Benayoun given a go. As for those who still "wanna see Gerrard on the right week in week out playing a free-roaming role " , not only is it
not his best position but when he does go walk about , we're often left with a big f'king hole on our right side.

:nod

Agreed on both points there Woof. Dont you feel clever and so right to have the same opinions as moi.  :D

You are the wind beneath my ring Bamaga  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:04 am

I do feel like JP doesn't get enough credit. Last season I believe he started to find some form that should give him a regular spot in the starting 11. I totally admit he is not the best right winger in the game but he gives a lot to this team and for me the ideal wide player for Rafas favoured way of playing!
He consistently hugs the touchline which creates space and pulls players out of the central area of the pitch, this can only be of huge benefit to Gerard! He also has good pace which again stretches a team and can deliver a very good ball and not always an obvious one, he quite often picks out a player who is arriving late or has gone unnoticed by the oppo's defence rather then putting in a generic ball across the front of goal.
Baring this in mind and the likes of Torres and Babel being introduced I can see Pennants worth only rising this coming season.

If he can work on his defensive duties a little more and try and be a bit more confident about having a pop at goal he will really stamp himself on games and in my opinion become a very good player.

Since he has been here he seems to be learning and keeping himself out of any trouble so for me he has a good chance of maturing into a consistent and class perfomer.
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:10 am

Redtribe wrote:Since he has been here he seems to be learning and keeping himself out of any trouble so for me he has a good chance of maturing into a consistent and class perfomer.

For me a wide midfielder in a top team though must provide goal threat. Pennant doesn't, and until he does (which IMHO he won't) he will only ever be run of the mill. If he chips in next season with eight or nine goals then fair enough we've got ourselves a player, but I'd be very susprised if he does.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:19 am

I did touch on that, and agreed he could do with scoring more goals, but that aside i still think he offers alot to our team.
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:27 am

He scored a cracker last season against Chelsea but too often when in with a chance hes like a rabbit caught in headlights .Since 1999 he's played just over 150 league games for various clubs (including us) and has scored 10 goals (stats from soccerbase) , if as Mick says " he chips in next season with eight or nine goals " I'll not only be suprised I'll walk across the mersey on me hands and knees with a bugle up me a'rse playing YNWA .

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:36 am

Oh for JP to score 9 goals next season :D

If he scores 5 i will be happy, no doubt that Rafa has set him some target to try and reach 9 may be a bit optimistic taking into account what our forwards scored last term!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:50 am

As you were probably, there will be a lot of rotation in midfield and Pennant will be the fall-guy more often than not. Good crosser of the ball, but I genuinely don't think he has the talent to improve much more, certainly not to be able to beat people on a regular basis which is what he should be doing.

The width he does provide though will be important in making space for players to make runs into the box, with Babel coming in from the left and and Torres working the space. I actually think he'll play more often than most might think, especially in home matches against so called "weaker opposition".
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:53 am

Jermaine Pennant admits the pressure is on to deliver for Liverpool this season.

The £6.7million winger had a difficult first season and came in for some stick from some sections of the Anfield crowd.

The arrival of West Ham's Yossi Benayoun and Ajax's Ryan Babel on Merseyside has heaped even more pressure on Pennant, but the former Birmingham man says he is determined to prove his worth.

"The fans ask for massive things and if you are not delivering week in, week out, or not doing your best, they will get right on your back - and rightly so because this is Liverpool," Pennant told the Daily Star.

"Maybe the fans expected better things more quickly, but it is always going to take time.

"Moving here was a new start at a massive club for me and I think in the second half of the season I had them on my side, but I know this season I'm going to have to get even better.

"The manager has said that he wants the players proving in training every day that they are fighting for their positions because doing that will only make you a better player.

"The history of this club and how big it is means you can't let your standards slip for one minute."
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:50 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Pennant has improved but still doesn't convince me . Would like to see Benayoun given a go. As for those who still "wanna see Gerrard on the right week in week out playing a free-roaming role " , not only is it
not his best position but when he does go walk about , we're often left with a big f'king hole on our right side.

:nod

Agreed on both points there Woof. Dont you feel clever and so right to have the same opinions as moi.  :D

You are the wind beneath my ring Bamaga  :D

And you ....... The cheese on my (tin) helmet    :oops:   :D
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:28 pm

Has anybody contemplated 3 at the back and 5 in the middle. It allows two attacking wingers (Pennant/Babel/Kewell/Yossi) if we have two defensive midfielders (Alonso/Momo/Mascheranho) and it allows Gerrard to bomb on from central midfield where he's at his best. Our wingers wouldn't need to track back as much if we had two defensive midfielders just sitting in. It puts Gerrard back in the middle and it gives us two attacking wingers. So when we're on the attack, which we will be for most of the season, both home and away, we will have 4/5 players all getting forward. Can't fail to score with 5 players all getting forward.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Sabre » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:01 pm

Except for the early stage of last season, I was more than satisfied with Pennant's work. If Liverpool bring a top quality left winger Pennat will play less because Rafa will preffer a right mid rather than a wing in the right. But ANYHOW, I think his contribution will be important. I don't expect a massive boost in his game, but a moderated improvement, I think he's a good player.

I don't like 3 in the back and 5 in the middle, but if you do that you need full backs. Riise and Fabio Aurelio COULD do that role, but we don't have anyone on the right who can go up and down all the wings, IMHO.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:21 pm

Sabre wrote:but we don't have anyone on the right who can go up and down all the wings, IMHO.

Probably would be his 5th best position (which would be a waste) but Gerrard COULD do it. he started his career as a right back, can put in a tackle get forward, etc. etc. you know what he can do.
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:26 pm

Yes he could, but in top football you only have 10-13 men that move naturally and comfortably in the 3/4 part of the pitch and Gerrard is one of them. Being a full back implies a lot of defensive discipline, and it would be much of a waste to assign Gerrard that role.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:49 pm

Sabre wrote:Yes he could, but in top football you only have 10-13 men that move naturally and comfortably in the 3/4 part of the pitch and Gerrard is one of them. Being a full back implies a lot of defensive discipline, and it would be much of a waste to assign Gerrard that role.

I agree, however, he would be playing like a RWB if it was a 3-5-2 and Although he is all alone defensively outwide there would be A LOT of help in the centre with Carra agger hyypia or finnan mascherano alonso or momo.  In the end, it is not the way to pick our best 11 possible, but with a squad as deep as ours, players that can play in multiple roles, and a manager that likes to rotate players and formations ANYHING is possible
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:55 pm

JoeTerp wrote:but with a squad as deep as ours, players that can play in multiple roles, and a manager that likes to rotate players and formations ANYHING is possible

Unfortunately that is absolutely on the money. Please God though, NO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion