Jermaine pennant - off to valencia on a bosman

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:33 am

Must be a way to get him out of the club tho ? surely ?

Or if he wants to stay so bad play him i do not think he is that bad of a player any ways better then kuyt on RM/RW any day of week.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:37 am

LegBarnes wrote:Must be a way to get him out of the club tho ? surely ?

Or if he wants to stay so bad play him i do not think he is that bad of a player any ways better then kuyt on RM/RW any day of week.

Wakey Wakey!
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby milou » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 am

bigmick wrote:
milou wrote:So JP has left on loan.. at least we saved a few months of his wages. That is the best we could get bcos we left it too late.

I cannot stress enough how bad this piece of business is by Rafa:
we are letting a healthy and more-than-decent 26-year old player walk away free, having paid 7mil to get him.

The buck stops at the boss (always) and so far everyone only keeps saying how fcuked and greedy JP is  :no

Don't tell me this is also Rick Parry's fault? ???

As much as I dislike them, you have to wonder why the American owners are refusing to give more autonomy to Rafa on transfer matters.

It's an interesting point Milou for sure. It's not like we bought him without knowing that he had previous as far as being a party animal is concerned (if anybody had bothered to ask around in areas that I used to earn a living they could have supplied a dossier).

Equally, I'm not sure his form was that much different than we could have expected before we bought him either. He's never scored goals in his career (principally because he doesn't stand in the right places to give himself the maximum chance of doing so but that's another story) so we couldn't be massively disappointed with that. He put a ton of crosses in at Birmingham, and in fairness to him he did at Liverpool too.

I agree with you as well that this one probably wasn't a "Rick Parry pick"   :D  :laugh: (kills me that) but I guess the explanation will be something along the lines of "if we had been allowed to buy Rafa's first choice players we wouldn't be having to make do with 6.7 million pound stopgaps".

Just a guess of course, but that's my prediction anyhow.

Mick, whether it is the case of "if we had been allowed to buy Rafa's first choice players we wouldn't be having to make do with 6.7 million pound stopgaps" or not,... it is hard to argue that Rafa doesn't need to shoulder MUCH of the blame IMHO.

It is like if you are a teenager who wanted a Ferrari (who doesn't want :D) from your rich parents but they got you a Nissan instead. Shouldn't he be driving it till he gets a new and better one before SELLING it off?

In rafa's case, he actually drove it a while, got some good mileages out of it.. and then SUDDENLY stopped using it COMPLETELY. Worst of all, the poor Nissan couldn't even get a place in the garage (my analogy for bench :D) and be abandoned under the sun to rust and left with NO resale value!

So I challenge anyone (not you Mick) to tell me it is the car's and parent's fault but not the teenager's!?  :p
milou

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:06 pm

milou wrote:whether it is the case of "if we had been allowed to buy Rafa's first choice players we wouldn't be having to make do with 6.7 million pound stopgaps" or not,... it is hard to argue that Rafa doesn't need to shoulder MUCH of the blame IMHO.

Agree 100%

Basically, if Parry hadn't f#cked up the Simao deal twice we wouldn't have signed or needed to have signed Riera, Pennant, Benayoun, Gonzalez or Babel. Parry's a tw@t, so in one position his uselessness set us back 4 seasons and people wonder why Rafa wants control?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 pm

stmichael wrote:
milou wrote:whether it is the case of "if we had been allowed to buy Rafa's first choice players we wouldn't be having to make do with 6.7 million pound stopgaps" or not,... it is hard to argue that Rafa doesn't need to shoulder MUCH of the blame IMHO.

Agree 100%

Basically, if Parry hadn't f#cked up the Simao deal twice we wouldn't have signed or needed to have signed Riera, Pennant, Benayoun, Gonzalez or Babel. Parry's a tw@t, so in one position his uselessness set us back 4 seasons and people wonder why Rafa wants control?

oh come on mate u cant be serious... thats 30sumthing million pounds worth of player ur talking about here ALL OF WHICH IM PRETTY SURE WERE THE MANAGERS CHOICE...

hes proven yet and again that hes poor when it comes to transfer dealings.. the money hes spet and the squad we have to show for it tell it all really..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:35 pm

loan, loan, loan the cunt, loan him to pompey
merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, hope it's just a bad dream

We don't need no Jermaine Pennant,
We don't need no cr@p RM,
No lazy w@nker paid shedloads,
Rafa, send him out on loan.
Hey, Rafa, send him out on loan!
All in all he's just another :censored: come ar$ehole

EDIT : ouch, how could I have used the word "earning" re Pennant
Last edited by Owzat on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby milou » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:44 pm

stmichael wrote:

Agree 100%

??? 100%? from what I read it is more like 0%. Maybe I don't get your humor.. :D

Anyway, my point is NOT whether Rick Parry fcuked up all the transfer deals.. he may well did but the buck still stopped at the manager.. it has always been and will always be. Well, we leave that argument for another day.

My point is if we could just simply ignore how JP ended up in the Liverpool team, the manager still has to use him to help achieve our goals (no matter how much he dislikes him) and MOST OF ALL - manage his contract so even if we do get rid of him, we would get something back in return.

Surely it couldn't be Rick Parry's idea to let him rot, let his contract expires and let him go free at 26 years old?!

I speculate we "lost" AT LEAST 5mil (probably more TBH, considering how inflated prices are these days, esp for English players) in this saga.

I had the same argument when Macca and Owen left on cheap/free.. It was bad management and most of the blame must be shouldered by the manager.
milou

Postby GYBS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:19 pm

aCe' wrote:
stmichael wrote:

Agree 100%

oh come on mate u cant be serious... thats 30sumthing million pounds worth of player ur talking about here ALL OF WHICH IM PRETTY SURE WERE THE MANAGERS CHOICE...

hes proven yet and again that hes poor when it comes to transfer dealings.. the money hes spet and the squad we have to show for it tell it all really..

yeah cause he really failed with pepe , arbeloa , agger skirtle , aurelio , sissoko , alonso , masher , torres , crouch , reira plus all the promising youngsters that have done well .players are either doing well or been sold on for profit . Every manager has success and failures in the transfer market but thank god he didnt blow 30 mil on chavchenko or a veron or blowing over a hundred million on players to sit on the bench .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:37 pm

Pennant, Bellamy and nearly Bowyer under Houllier - these are players that do not belong at LFC - could you imagine Shankly or Paisley giving the disgraceful little sh.ts a second thought!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:47 pm

GYBS wrote:
aCe' wrote:
stmichael wrote:

Agree 100%

yeah cause he really failed with pepe , arbeloa , agger skirtle , aurelio , sissoko , alonso , masher , torres , crouch , reira plus all the promising youngsters that have done well .players are either doing well or been sold on for profit . Every manager has success and failures in the transfer market but thank god he didnt blow 30 mil on chavchenko or a veron or blowing over a hundred million on players to sit on the bench .

You have selected 10 players and Rafa has bought a veritable shed load costing over £200m. Some of the players you have picked have moved on because they weren't good enough. If you really think Crouch was a good buy why wasn't there a lot more interest when we sold him - Portsmouth is not exactly Juventus - Sissoko probably should have been given more time but he had plenty of critics - his distribution was awful but it sound as if he is improving at Juve. Some of the other players you mention like Arbeloa and Aurelio bewilder me. Arbeloa is slightly better than average and Aurelio is not even that good. As for Masch he is not looking like a £20m player this season! I notice you didn't include Keane - wonder why ???? ???? ???
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Madmax » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:50 pm

GYBS wrote:
aCe' wrote:
stmichael wrote:

Agree 100%

Yeah exactly every manager has his successes and failures. The players you mentioned by far are fecking brill. Few noted as world class. Rafa like any other manager has had his share of failures without a doubt. Some have been decent players but some questionable buys.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:49 pm

stmichael wrote:

Agree 100%

Told ya. When you've been around as long as I have you get to notice that you aren't the only one who's predictable  :D .

"If Parry had have got Rafa's first choices" etc  :) <-me trying to keep a straight face again, (whilst having a dump)  :D <-me having finished it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:59 pm

devaney i didnt mention keane as he hasnt even been here for a season . He could turn out to be a great buy he could turn out to be a flop , will wait and see , im certainly not going to label him a flop after 6 months .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:15 pm

compared to Babel, Pennant is a small midfield error
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ElNinoLid » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:54 pm

PMSL at the bitters trying to sign him, they gonna use our reserves to try and beat us on sunday?
ElNinoLid

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion