Jermaine pennant - off to valencia on a bosman

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby benjy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:49 am

pennant was never one my first choice players, but to be fair to him, he did play decently when he was used. i dun remember him not tracking back, as some people have said here. because if he didn't, i'm sure rafa would have benched him sooner than he did.

the games he played, i think he did provide some genuine width out wide - i mean, he didn't score much, but he sure did provide danger out on the right.

i think it was his off the pitch attitude which killed him, although no one's ever said what actually made rafa totally dump him this season eh?
benjy

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:24 am

john craig wrote:
stmichael wrote:Whether you like him or not, Pennant would create more in half an hour than Kuyt and Benayoun combined in 90 minutes.

He'd also let the opposing full back/winger run by him without tracking more times in half an hour than either Kuyt or Benayoun would in an entire season.  He's lazy, it's why Benitez doesn't trust him.

Fans either forget what Kuyt sets up or simply shut it out of their mind, on top of his seven goals this season he has set up a few goals as well - credited with three assists this season in the PL alone (source FPL) and other work that leads to goals like the nod back to Benayoun for an assist not too many weeks ago.

Maybe it's about time the stats people had 2 assist types, assist and 2nd assist - where someone sets up the goal eg Kuyt to Benayoun to scorer or say free-kick taker nodded on to scorer sort of thing or Reina upfield to assister to scorer.

I also notice noone is criticising Riera on this front of assists (creating), yet he's provided less than Kuyt in the league and according to FPL that's more than Alonso - our supposed 'creator general'

If that loan sees out Pennant's contract then good riddance, I do find it funny that Adams is basing his rating of Pennant on having played with him and one game against Fulham.

Source for that quote in Ace's post is the BBC website
Last edited by Owzat on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:37 am

Good riddance your goal tally matches the ammount of times you have actually produced a decent cross, deffences right through the Premiership must be sh!tting themselves knowing he is going to play regularly. Imagine how many times they are going to get hit with the ball if they are the first man :;):
destro

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:55 am

mistyred wrote:Sometimes this season the club has ressembled the monster raving loony party.

What a waste, i honestly despair but i will just keep it to myself.

The club where right on this occasion Misty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport....cs.html

But I agree he offers more than Bennynoon and Kuyt on the right wing.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rockthekop » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:01 am

Babel or El Zhar should be played on the right, we've seen what Kuyt can do or rather can't do. 

I'm not a big fan of Kuyt as a player but I can't fault his attitude.

I'm sorry to say that Kuyt is not good enough for LFC, he was bought as a striker and failed miserably.

Morientes was bought to score goals and also flopped but he was then sold, not stuck on the right.
Rockthekop

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:06 pm

Rockthekop wrote:Babel or El Zhar should be played on the right, we've seen what Kuyt can do or rather can't do. 

What has El Zhar proved?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby alanricouk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:20 pm

stmichael wrote:
Rockthekop wrote:Babel or El Zhar should be played on the right, we've seen what Kuyt can do or rather can't do. 

What has El Zhar proved?

He has pace, can scare defenders with his technique. Pretty much the basics a winger should have, and what Kuyt doesn't.
alanricouk

Postby milou » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:07 pm

So JP has left on loan.. at least we saved a few months of his wages. That is the best we could get bcos we left it too late.

I cannot stress enough how bad this piece of business is by Rafa:
we are letting a healthy and more-than-decent 26-year old player walk away free, having paid 7mil to get him.

The buck stops at the boss (always) and so far everyone only keeps saying how fcuked and greedy JP is  :no

Don't tell me this is also Rick Parry's fault? ???

As much as I dislike them, you have to wonder why the American owners are refusing to give more autonomy to Rafa on transfer matters.
milou

Postby GYBS » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:46 pm

alanricouk wrote:
stmichael wrote:

What has El Zhar proved?

He has pace, can scare defenders with his technique. Pretty much the basics a winger should have, and what Kuyt doesn't.

so el zhar is the real deal after a coupl eof games ? he may well do well for us but certainly should not be in the starting team ahead of established internationals .

ps. as pennant has now gone and prob wont ever be a liverpool player again - any chance we can just bin the thread  :buttrock
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:48 pm

i only hope he isn't alowed to play against us,at fray bentos park! i will be sh1tting bricks if he does cause he's so dangerous in his own half, let alone the oppo's - some post's on this thread have cheered me up no end since monday night, fecking jp what a great example to other young players like el zhar!

just wish we had a takin the :censored: emoticon - good bye lazy feckin good for nothing tw@t.

poor old crouchy must be really p1ssed off now, cause his supply for goal scoring chances has has just got worse! the friggin grass will grow another few ft during the game before jp supply's him a decent chance.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby SupitsJonF » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 pm

GYBS wrote:
alanricouk wrote:
stmichael wrote:

What has El Zhar proved?

so el zhar is the real deal after a coupl eof games ? he may well do well for us but certainly should not be in the starting team ahead of established internationals .

ps. as pennant has now gone and prob wont ever be a liverpool player again - any chance we can just bin the thread  :buttrock

1.) When has kuyt proved to be the real deal RW either?  Like El Zhar they both can look promising and disappointing.

2.)  Why does it matter what Kuyt does for Holland?  Last I checked we weren't them.
SupitsJonF

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 pm

milou wrote:So JP has left on loan.. at least we saved a few months of his wages. That is the best we could get bcos we left it too late.

I cannot stress enough how bad this piece of business is by Rafa:
we are letting a healthy and more-than-decent 26-year old player walk away free, having paid 7mil to get him.

The buck stops at the boss (always) and so far everyone only keeps saying how fcuked and greedy JP is  :no

Don't tell me this is also Rick Parry's fault? ???

As much as I dislike them, you have to wonder why the American owners are refusing to give more autonomy to Rafa on transfer matters.

It's an interesting point Milou for sure. It's not like we bought him without knowing that he had previous as far as being a party animal is concerned (if anybody had bothered to ask around in areas that I used to earn a living they could have supplied a dossier).

Equally, I'm not sure his form was that much different than we could have expected before we bought him either. He's never scored goals in his career (principally because he doesn't stand in the right places to give himself the maximum chance of doing so but that's another story) so we couldn't be massively disappointed with that. He put a ton of crosses in at Birmingham, and in fairness to him he did at Liverpool too.

I agree with you as well that this one probably wasn't a "Rick Parry pick"   :D  :laugh: (kills me that) but I guess the explanation will be something along the lines of "if we had been allowed to buy Rafa's first choice players we wouldn't be having to make do with 6.7 million pound stopgaps".

Just a guess of course, but that's my prediction anyhow.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:49 pm

Good riddance, shame we couldn’t get a fee for him but at least he won’t cost us any more money.

Now for Itandje and Voronin.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:42 am

One question if rafa is not playing the lad why in gods name has he not been sold so we could bring some one in this month as we clearly need a new RM ? :angry:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:35 am

LegBarnes wrote:One question if rafa is not playing the lad why in gods name has he not been sold so we could bring some one in this month as we clearly need a new RM ? :angry:

He keeps saying no to everyone.  He even turned down Madrid.  And he is not rafa, he = pennant.
SupitsJonF

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion