Jermaine pennant - off to valencia on a bosman

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:58 am

Nothing I've seen rumours on BBC suggests he's doing anything but staying put. However on the LFC page on ITV teletext there was briefly a comment suggesting that it might still go through.

He might be best advised to go, for no other reason than not wanting to be remembered as the player who was there for the money when it was obvious, maybe even he's been told, that he has no future there. Four appearances in 32 games should be a giveaway, I can understand someone not wanting to take a pay cut, but he's not exactly in the poor house and won't be if he moves, and he won't get a new contract or we wouldn't be letting him go for under a third of what we paid for him - not exactly like he's in his 30s and his value is dropping (for that reason)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:04 am

everton are waiting to take Jermaine Pennant from arch-rivals Liverpool on a free transfer in the summer. (Daily Mirror)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1....ult.stm
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:48 pm

Portsmouth boss Tony Adams is to meet Liverpool's Jermaine Pennant to discuss his commitment to a move to the south coast. (The Independent)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1....ult.stm

:laugh:  @ Pennant and commitment in the same sentence. He ought to be committed, but not in a nice way
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:41 pm

Whether you like him or not, Pennant would create more in half an hour than Kuyt and Benayoun combined in 90 minutes.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby club_Levis » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:56 pm

You spot.I am amazed people cant see that.
club_Levis

Postby aCe' » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:05 pm

if only for the number of time he touches the ball compared to the other clowns we play down the right, he should be our first option there.. if we sell we'll need to buy.. simple as.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby milou » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:10 pm

stmichael wrote:Whether you like him or not, Pennant would create more in half an hour than Kuyt and Benayoun combined in 90 minutes.

I totally agree.

That's why I just cannot understand why Rafa would totally give up on players whom we all know can help our cause in some ways (surely it is HARD to argue otherwise)..Afterall he didn't inherit pennant but handpicked him despite his well publicized problems not too long ago :(

Why can't rafa put his personal dislike aside and use Penannt to achieve his goal until the appropriate timing to get rid of him? And my guess is if he did, we could definitely get some meaningful contribution from pennant while having the chance to sell him for something in future.

Instead, we are now left with a situation where we got nothing out of a "highly paid" player and risked letting him go for free. I challenge anyone to say Rafa has no blame to shoulder in this saga.

Unless Rafa really has so little control transfer matters as he claimed (i somehow think not), it is hard to imagine the American owners giving him more autonomy.. based on the ways he has been handling transfers so far.
milou

Postby Raj_Xedos » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:20 pm

Can anyone elaborate on the problem rafa has with Pennant??

i have no idea why he's been dropped, he used to service the forwards all day long...more than Kuyt does or Yossi.....!
Raj_Xedos

Postby milou » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Raj_Xedos wrote:Can anyone elaborate on the problem rafa has with Pennant??

i have no idea why he's been dropped, he used to service the forwards all day long...more than Kuyt does or Yossi.....!

Mate, it is a question we ALL have been asking! :D

Somebody claimed Pennant is rubbish so Rafa dropped him. While I thought he isn't world class, I really cannot remember him as a bad player whenever he played. Like some mentioned here, he can offer more than kuyt and benny combined on any day!

Some people said he had attitude problems. But he was already a bad boy BEFORE he came and Rafa chose to sign him!

Other people said he is lazy, greedy, alcoholic. But I think these are just effects rather than causes. If you see no future in a team (or company for common ppl like us), you lose morale and would start thinking for yourself. It just went downhill from there.

Even from just the financial standpoint ALONE, this is a bad bad piece of business by Rafa.. buying a player (a more than decent one, no less) for 7mil but letting him go on free when he is still just 26yrs old  :no
milou

Postby Raj_Xedos » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:42 pm

milou wrote:he is still just 26yrs old  :no

i cant remember him having a bad game, ok he's not world class but he did a good job for us and serviced the team well as well as add natural width....

come on rafa sort it out......

how can he keep playing lucas and leave reasonable players like JP out?
Raj_Xedos

Postby GYBS » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:02 pm

He has gone and goodbye to him - was never good enough quality for us in the end and his attitude was the worst problem but his productivity was never enough for liverpool - not enough assists and not enough goals from an attacking player .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:21 pm

According to Granada hes gone but only on loan.
Thingy

Postby GYBS » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:28 pm

well as his contract runs out end of season we wont see him in a liverpool shirt again
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:39 pm

GYBS wrote:well as his contract runs out end of season we wont see him in a liverpool shirt again

Nor will Rafa see one pound of a transfer fee for him.  I'm not in favor of Pennant in any way regarding his attitude, but Rafa's stubborness  cost the club on this one.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby alanricouk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:40 pm

The Good Yank wrote:
GYBS wrote:well as his contract runs out end of season we wont see him in a liverpool shirt again

Nor will Rafa see one pound of a transfer fee for him.  I'm not in favor of Pennant in any way regarding his attitude, but Rafa's stubborness  cost the club on this one.

I'm no favourite of Benitez, but you can't blame him for this.
alanricouk

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion