Jermaine pennant - off to valencia on a bosman

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:45 am

hehehehe

hope he stays till the summer and we end up getting fck all for him.. rafas treatment has been a disgrace (yet again) and its no less than the gaffer deserves...

none and i mean NONE of us would be taking such bs and we'd all be waiting for summer for a big fat signing on fee and a widerr choice of clubs if we were in his shoes....

quit all the nonsense it isnt all tht complicated and he isnt that big a shtbag... hes been decent to say the least when hes been called on for Liverpool and the fact that he hasnt played in a while is down to the manager and not to his lack of willingness imo... we'v seen MUCH and i mean MUCH worse in a liverpool jersey under rafa given more of an opportunity and better treatment on and off the pitch... they werent getting all the stick pennants getting.. and ur just fooling urself if u think footballers are priests and pennant is the standout kunt... Tony Adams knows all about Pennants off-the-pitch problems... drinking and all that... hes been through the same sht and he helped out pennant in the past if im not mistaken... no wonder hes going after him he knows all about his football and will dal with him alot better than Rafa has imo...

and GYBS my friend... Kuyt is a sht player and pennant is twice the player he'll ever be.. get over it kiddo.:p

anyways.. as a liverpool fan.. hope he goes for 3mill to portsmouth or whatever it is and we atleast try to get some cover for that right wing slot... kuyt is useless and benayoun isnt solid enough to hold a regular spot...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:46 am

bigmick wrote:Pennant is a little t0sspot, but to have an opinion that he is being unusually "greedy" or "selfish" compared to other players is totally niaeve (or however the feck you spell it) in my view. If he's got six months on his contract to run and he's on 60K a week, it's 1.5 million quid which in anyones language is a lot of cash for doing feck all. Allied to that is the fact that when his contract runs out he's a free agent and as such any team looking to sign him won't have to pay a trnasfer fee of any description. Pennant's agent will be negotiating a top signing on fee and top dollar wages precisely for that reason. The vast bulk of the 2 million quid we were going to get in a transfer fee will eventually end up in Pennants sky rocket by hook or by crook (and in truth it's prtobably more of the latter).

Terrible? Well in many ways it is yes, but not that surprising in truth. If you were his agent, what would you be advising him to do?

EDIT-I should say as well that he obviously realises the writing is on the wall for him as far as Liverpool is concerend. All this "fight for my place" stuff is utter nonsense, and Jon Craig summised his thought process much better than i could earlier.

Once again though, although it stinks you can hardly blame the guy or be overly surprised I suppose.

Why is everybody moaning? Let's face it Pennant's behaviour and attitude have not really come as a shock to any of us that have followed his career.

Pennant thinks he is a lot better than he is and that is a significant part of the problem. However, it is not Pennant's fault that we agreed to buy him and once again LFC find themselves in a mess when it comes to getting rid of him. We have got previous in this area !! Houllier even went after Bowyer which was an absolute disgrace - don't we ever learn?

Is Rafa suggesting through his contract negotiations that he had very little to do with some of our recent dubious purchases?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:51 am

bigmick wrote:Once again though, although it stinks you can hardly blame the guy or be overly surprised I suppose.

That's where you're wrong Mick.

Am I surprised at him, no.  But do I blame him?  Damn right I do.  The fact that he'd rather get paid more for nothing than play for his pick (allegedly) of Portsmouth, Stoke, Hull, Real Madrid or AC Milan says it all about his character.  It's Harry Kewell all over again.

How many players these days sit out contracts, content not to play when they have a choice to go elsewhere?  Very very few.

If people want to be pedantic about it and take the stance that 'he's signed a contract then he's entitled to sit it out' then that's fair enough, but those are the people that are being naive imo, in not seeing how this sh.itbag is screwing us over.

For 6 months of doing nothing on a reported 60k per week, Jermaine Pennant will take £1.5 million from Liverpool.  Not bad eh?  He's a Liverpool fan by the way, but hey, fair play to him. :no
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby milou » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:17 pm

john craig wrote:
bigmick wrote:Once again though, although it stinks you can hardly blame the guy or be overly surprised I suppose.

Am I surprised at him, no.  But do I blame him?  Damn right I do.  The fact that he'd rather get paid more for nothing than play for his pick (allegedly) of Portsmouth, Stoke, Hull, Real Madrid or AC Milan says it all about his character.  It's Harry Kewell all over again.

How many players these days sit out contracts, content not to play when they have a choice to go elsewhere?  Very very few.

If people want to be pedantic about it and take the stance that 'he's signed a contract then he's entitled to sit it out' then that's fair enough, but those are the people that are being naive imo, in not seeing how this sh.itbag is screwing us over.

For 6 months of doing nothing on a reported 60k per week, Jermaine Pennant will take £1.5 million from Liverpool.  Not bad eh?  He's a Liverpool fan by the way, but hey, fair play to him. :no

It is just a matter of tolerance bcos NO fans would say he current situation is totally justified anyway.

I just think..

It is hard to blame him for wanting to "stick around" bcos he would earn a few millions in SIX months time.

If this chapter happened when his contract has ONE year to run.. Then I would definitely blame him more as a greedy :censored:.

If this chapter happened when his contract still has 1.5 to 2 years to run, then it will be unanimous that he is the BIGGEST cnut of all time if he chose to wait for his contract to expire for doing nothing!

But he was still somewhat in Rafa's plan until it was too late. We only started to consider offloading him in summer but got really intensified in only this transfer window. By then it is already too late.

Rafa & management really must shoulder a lot of blame for this saga too.
milou

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:18 pm

john craig wrote:

u cant be fcking serious !

r u trying to tell me that if u were offered 1.5 mill for the next 6 months... then atleast 2 or 3 mill as a signing on fee + wages of around 50K or so a week from then on... you wouldnt take that...

ur other option being an immediate transfer to a side that THE CLUB WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH, with u getting lower wage ..

THAT IS BASICALLY WHAT UR ASKING FOR... Its like rafa going to pennant telling him to give up 3 to 4.5 million as a favor... i know i, for one, would tell him to fucck right off given the way hes been treated by the manager... gimme a break youd be doing the same thing...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:24 pm

aCe' wrote:
john craig wrote:

r u trying to tell me that if u were offered 1.5 mill for the next 6 months... then atleast 2 or 3 mill as a signing on fee + wages of around 50K or so a week from then on... you wouldnt take that...

ur other option being an immediate transfer to a side that THE CLUB WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH, with u getting lower wage ..

THAT IS BASICALLY WHAT UR ASKING FOR... Its like rafa going to pennant telling him to give up 3 to 4.5 million as a favor... i know i, for one, would tell him to fucck right off given the way hes been treated by the manager... gimme a break youd be doing the same thing...

The way he's been treated by the manager?
Wise up..he was given chances and proved time and time again he was nowhere near good enough!He's not LFC material and Rafas biggest mistake was buyimg him in the first place!

Then theres his partying ways and missing training.He has no interest in playing for LFC,he's gonna sit it out and take the ££!

I dont understand where you are coming from saying Rafa has treated him badly.The reality is the mangaer feels he's not good enough and the vast majority of fans agree!You know why that is?
Cause Rafa is right!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:29 pm

aCe' wrote:
john craig wrote:

Pennant will still get a good contract elsewhere whether he leaves now or at the end of the season, admittedly a better one at the end of the season.  He'd still be making a fu.cking fortune compared to you or I either way, so don't try and make him out to be deprived or hard done by financially if he leaves now.  He's still a millionaire for fu.ck sake!

So to answer your question, if I was Pennant would I leave now?  Absolutely yes, because at 26 or so years old I'd still harbour ambitions of playing International football and furthering my career.  Furthermore having not kicked a ball for half a season I'd be champing at the bit to play 1st team football.  But if you'd rather take a bit of extra coin than that then it says as much about your values as it does Pennant mate.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Number 9 wrote:
aCe' wrote:
john craig wrote:

The way he's been treated by the manager?
Wise up..he was given chances and proved time and time again he was nowhere near good enough!He's not LFC material and Rafas biggest mistake was buyimg him in the first place!

Then theres his partying ways and missing training.He has no interest in playing for LFC,he's gonna sit it out and take the ££!

I dont understand where you are coming from saying Rafa has treated him badly.The reality is the mangaer feels he's not good enough and the vast majority of fans agree!You know why that is?
Cause Rafa is right!

haha...

okay... hes not good enough to get a place on our bench now is he ? cant get a game in the cup or when we'r missing a right flank or anything ? the fact that elzhar made more appearances than he did so far this season says it all..

give it a rest he hasnt been that bad for us.. not good enough ? maybe..

we can do better ? for sure

but not even good enough for a place on the bench?

and again... he had the most appearances in his first season and was top of our assists chart... waster and all that he still managed to have an impact... he played and we got to a chmapsleague final..etc etc

he hasnt been THAT bad that he couldnt even get agame this season... and none of our right wingers have been anywhere near good enough so far this season so that place is still up for grabs and id expect everyone we have in that position to get a chance to prove their worth.. he wasnt...

hes been treated like sht... robbie keane, crouch, cisse... long list of players who could have done something for this club but have been treated like sht by the manager...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:45 pm

john craig wrote:
aCe' wrote:
john craig wrote:

Pennant will still get a good contract elsewhere whether he leaves now or at the end of the season, admittedly a better one at the end of the season.  He'd still be making a fu.cking fortune compared to you or I either way, so don't try and make him out to be deprived or hard done by financially if he leaves now.  He's still a millionaire for fu.ck sake!

So to answer your question, if I was Pennant would I leave now?  Absolutely yes, because at 26 or so years old I'd still harbour ambitions of playing International football and furthering my career.  Furthermore having not kicked a ball for half a season I'd be champing at the bit to play 1st team football.  But if you'd rather take a bit of extra coin than that then it says as much about your values as it does Pennant mate.

haha...

id take 4mill in 6 months sitting on my :censored: .. then more money for 4 years every fcking day of the week..

says much ...yea... that i have a fckin brain

he'll still be 26 in 5months and  im guessing joining Madrid or Milan would do his Int'l football hopes a whole lot more than joining a portsmouth or stoke...

u wanna be a hypocrite about it .. be my guest.. theres not much more i can say
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:48 pm

Good riddance , only useful whenever crouch used to play
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:48 pm

aCe' wrote:u wanna be a hypocrite about it .. be my guest.. theres not much more i can say

You can explain how I'm being a hypocrite for starters?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:01 pm

john craig wrote:
aCe' wrote:u wanna be a hypocrite about it .. be my guest.. theres not much more i can say

lsn.... lets say u work for sony... u get paid a thousand a week... then all of a sudden ur boss starts telling u not to show up for work cuz ur sht, but ull still get ur fat paycheck end of every week...

personally, u have ambitions of becoming the best sales person in the world, but thats simply not going to happen while working for sony...

lets say dell come about and tell u that theyr interested in signing you.. they offer u the chance of signing for them today, getting 500 a week , or in 5 months, getting a million upfront then 500 a week...in doing the latter, u still collect the 1000 a week for the 5 months..

ur boss obviously wants u to leave now, simply because its better for him..whats better for u though, obviously would be to wait for 5months... would u just give up the million + quid because it would be better for the manager(given wht hes said and done) ? or would u do whats best for you ?

the whole ambitions stuff doesnt really hold too well with me.. its 4 months of football.. around 15 games or so for pennant... cant see him being called up for england even if he does brilliantly when he moves...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:07 pm

My views aren't quite as extreme as ace on this, but broadly I agree with him. I don't necessarily think that Rafa has "treated Pennant like sh!t", but by the same token I'd be surprised if Pennant has the manager on his Christmas card list. Purely from the players point of view (and they almost ALL only think that way), it makes perfect sense for him to sit on his hands (or indeed his erse in this case) and negotiate a top deal for himself in the Summer. It's quite possible that someone like Redknapp has tapped him up already, told him to stay put and there'll be a good contract at a good club waiting for him in the Summer.

As I said, he's a tool but most footballers and indeed most people would do exactly the same.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:11 pm

bigmick wrote:My views aren't quite as extreme as ace on this, but broadly I agree with him. I don't necessarily think that Rafa has "treated Pennant like sh!t", but by the same token I'd be surprised if Pennant has the manager on his Christmas card list. Purely from the players point of view (and they almost ALL only think that way), it makes perfect sense for him to sit on his hands (or indeed his erse in this case) and negotiate a top deal for himself in the Summer. It's quite possible that someone like Redknapp has tapped him up already, told him to stay put and there'll be a good contract at a good club waiting for him in the Summer.

As I said, he's a tool but most footballers and indeed most people would do exactly the same.

good man..

i agree with me too  :D
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby milou » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:33 pm

aCe' wrote:
john craig wrote:

lsn.... lets say u work for sony... u get paid a thousand a week... then all of a sudden ur boss starts telling u not to show up for work cuz ur sht, but ull still get ur fat paycheck end of every week...

personally, u have ambitions of becoming the best sales person in the world, but thats simply not going to happen while working for sony...

lets say dell come about and tell u that theyr interested in signing you.. they offer u the chance of signing for them today, getting 500 a week , or in 5 months, getting a million upfront then 500 a week...in doing the latter, u still collect the 1000 a week for the 5 months..

ur boss obviously wants u to leave now, simply because its better for him..whats better for u though, obviously would be to wait for 5months... would u just give up the million + quid because it would be better for the manager(given wht hes said and done) ? or would u do whats best for you ?

the whole ambitions stuff doesnt really hold too well with me.. its 4 months of football.. around 15 games or so for pennant... cant see him being called up for england even if he does brilliantly when he moves...

I wouldn't necessary be using some of the same adjectives or descriptions you used, but I broadly agreed too :D

That's basically what I have been arguing in this thread too.

At the end of the day, it is "insane" for him (as much as for anyone if I am honest here) to agree to go to Portsmouth now with a lower wage, rather than still going to Portsmouth (just for argument sake) with a higher wage + millions of sign on bonuses... Well, in just SIX months time.
Last edited by milou on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milou

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion