Jermaine pennant... - Just a few points

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:46 pm

Pennant IS proving people wrong.

I said he was sh*te, due mainly to a perceived lack of desire. He still looks nonchalant on the field of paly, but his tricks and passes are coming off more now.

I think we need to accept that he's a cocky little barsteward, and he needs to feel special to perform.

All together now "Ahhhh". :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:55 pm

Ballache wrote:pennant is the most promissing winger in England. he is better than the likes of cristiano "i do a million step-overs in a second " ronaldo and lennon.

lol Ronaldo is on a different planet to Pennant.
puroresu

Postby Ade » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:57 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
stmichael wrote:I would take anything he says with a pinch of salt and trust in only what you see on the pitch. What I see is a talented player who appeared a bit out of his depth in the first half of the season, but has given a couple of glimpses that would promise better. If that's enough for him to be here for the long haul, then so be it. Somehow I feel we will imrpve the position in the summer, especially if investment money enables us to sign a clearly superior player (Alves seems to be on most people's wish list).

I would agree with that.  I'm personally not interested in reading too much into what he, or any player, says to the press about their performances.  Show it on the pitch and I'm happy.  Take the p!ss and I'm not.  Simple really.  I was well annoyed with Pennant earlier in the season but he seems to have stepped up his game in the past month or so.  He now resembles a Liverpool player.  Whether he kicks on from here is up to him, though, and it is down to building on this confidence boost with hard work.

Like you, though, I think we will bring in a top class RM this summer if the DIC deals goes through and Pennant will become a squad player.  Frankly, I don't think he has the right mentality to wait patiently for his chance and then come into the side and make a telling contribution.  Hopefully I'm wrong about that but we shall see.

I agree Bob. There are players you look at and see them as a Liverpool player for years to come, either cos they've got the talent to thrive at this level or the hunger and determination to succeed. I just don't see either in Pennant, and I think we'll have someone better by the summer.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:53 pm

After 8 seasons he's finally got his goal tally into double figures  :laugh:  You'd think he'd be telling himself what the rest of us already know . Not f'ucking good enough

(however it was a cracking goal , more of the same please Jermaine and i might begin to rate yer )

:kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:19 pm

I think Pennant will come good..as has been said above he is working harder.Although all his performances have not been what we would want he does seem to playing better albeit inconsistantly!Theres no doubt in my mind he has lots of ability.
Personally i can forgive inconsistancy in a players first season especially when he has been in and out of the team alot at the start of the season.Pennant deserves more time to adapt to the LFC way,im sure we can all agree that coming from Birmingham to LFC is a big step up in the world...No dissrespect to Birmingham but hes surrounded with better footballers...he has not been used to this!

As for his post match comments,he never said anything that annoyed me.
Theres a very thin line between having a lot of self belief and arrogance...also we must remember he does'nt seem the most intelligent of people(no harm to him):D
So as for interveiws..id take them with a pinch of salt!Im more concerned with what he does on the pitch than what he says.
Next season will be the big one for him....there will be no excuses and consistant quality performances will be expected from everyone from Pennant!
66-1120597113

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:32 pm

I think the thread starter is a bit tough on Pennant to be honset St.Mick and i also wouldn't read a great deal into the player's comments. I've been quite impressed with Pennant's recent performances over the last 5/6 games. The lad looks to have found some confidence, is getting in a few decent crosses and his goal against Chelsea will hopefully help spur him on to another level still. With Garcia out for the season i beleive that Pennant has become one of our most important players for the two ties with Barca. Without little Louis the team lacks the guile you need to break down a continental defence so we need a couple of big games from Pennant if we're going to pregress.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oakton » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:32 am

He is no good, i doubt he will be here for a long time.  He is too soft, he gets push off way too easily.
oakton

Postby 80-1169754111 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:39 am

peewee wrote:
stmichael wrote:“I feel as though I am settled in at Anfield now.

“I feel far more comfortable, and I feel as though I am proving people wrong still.

“I’m getting more confidence and looking forward to every game. Perhaps I’ve proved a few more people wrong with this performance. But the manager has said he has always had belief in me, that’s why he signed me.”

i think you are finding fault there where none exists

I'll have to say I think you're right, Pennant hasn't said he has performed well all season, he hasn't come out and said he is playing to a consistent level. His performances are slowly starting to mature and get richer, rather like malt whisky in some ways. I go by a policy of not judging a player until the end of a season and Jermaine has a few more games to show his worth and I think he will. If we go in for someone better in the summer, that would be fantastic, but he deserves his chance and I'm glad he is getting better.
80-1169754111

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:48 am

He's doing alright.

Keep cheering for him.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:59 am

Pennent came here with a lot of question marks. Can he play at a big club again? Can he stay out of trouble? Is he good enough? It must have been hard for him when everyone must have been telling him that this was his last chance to make his dreams of being a good footballer come true.

I would say that he has struggled for confidence but I also think that he seems to be improving (even before the goal I felt that) and think that at the end of the season he may well seem a better buy than Bellamy (and that is not a knock on Bellamy). I think next year he will show us what he can do. He has the skills and the speed and he is young, he is just lacking the confidence.

I am surprised at the thread however as he is a Liverpool player and if the only thing we can knock is "he should have said this instead" we are reaching to criticise. I would not worry too much about what a player says as if they were that smart they would be doctors or working in the City (and making less money I might add).

I am sure he will be here next year so lets support the player. If he comes good we all come good.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:16 pm

It's fair to say the jury is out, but after half a season what had/have, Bellers, Crouch, Agger, Reina or Garcia done ? He's got ability no doubt, but he needs to do it week in week out. He was my MoM against Bolton and did well against Cole in the Chelsea game. That said he was poor against Arsenal in the cup. Lets give him the season and judge him then. He's certainly done no worse, imho, than any of the other summer signings bar Kuyt.
___
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:28 am

he's a had a couple of excellent performances recently and deserves no singling out from the arsenal games - there were very few players who were not poor. it also needs to be said that his less effective games were ealier in the season when the whole team was struggling for any kind of form or consistency. as the team is coming good now so is jermaine pennant and it looks like he's starting to believe he can be a player for us -  a belief that was patently lacking at the start of the season.

his line
“I feel far more comfortable, and I feel as though I am proving people wrong still." makes sense to me. he looks far more comfortable and he is proving the many many people that said he had no right to be in a liverpool team when we should have got joaquin or alves instead to be wrong. he's a good player, i like him and the more he settles in the better he's going to get.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:01 am

hes doing aswell as any other english right winger this season

yeah he hasnt set the world alight but same goes for aaron lennon and wright phillips......both have hardley had great seasons.

but nothing is said about them in criticism
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby whylongball? » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:06 am

well i think he should keep quiet and work harder. what he has done so far is nothing great yet.....Should learn from Scholes really
whylongball?

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 pm

whylongball? wrote:well i think he should keep quiet and work harder. what he has done so far is nothing great yet.....Should learn from Scholes really

Ah the fantastic winger that is Paul Scholes, he could learn alot about that position from him couldnt he  ???

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion