Jermaine pennant. - Just a few observations.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby BOODIDDY » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:41 pm

i like how people on this declining forum seem to think that if you dont rate one player then you must be in favour of the others mentioned in the media, ie swp, simao, joaquin etc. But ill burst my ever looming bubble and actually plump for joaquin for rm. Swp never gonna happen, simao too light weight and more like garcia than an out and out winger. Pennant, its of MY OPINION that he is poor, inconsistant and just another of the current bling bling prem players. Was a talent but wasted like dyer etc.

i thought this was a forum for opinions and mine is that jp isnt good enough for lfc. Joaquin if poss, maybe sweinsteiger at munich.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:03 pm

This forum is for opinions you are quite right, and although I disagree with your opinion of Pennant almost entirely you are entitled to it. However, given that in an earlier post you firstly ridiculed everybody else's opinion rather than discussing why you disagreed with what was being posted and then went on to call a respected poster a moron, your sudden conversion to being the voice of reason and diplomacy is hard to square up.
FWIW there is far too much of this "nah you're talking sh!te mate" on here, and far too little of "the reason I disagree with you is .........". We are all guilty of it sometimes and it is particularly difficult to remain reasonable when you have the impression the person you are talking to is a numpty. Believe me, I understand where you are coming from on that front but John Craig is one of the most knowledgeable posters on here. Now I know you are going to trawl through and claim that you were only responding to him abusing you first but in fairness I don't think he was. I think he was responding to the sweepingly dismissive and frankly innaccurate post you had put up earlier, and describing IT as Bollox.
It wasn't Johns best post but he did have something of a point to be fair. Joaquin BTW is a player that many on here fancy. I haven't seen that much of him but he definately looks like a good player. My suspicion is however that we won't be able to afford him as the majority of our budget will be swallowed up by the purchase of a striker or two. If it is, then we may only be left with 3-4 million quid to buy a right-sided midfielder. Now where are we going to find a right-sided midfielder who is proven in the Prem for that sort of money?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1140560321 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:04 pm

stu_the_red wrote:And you were a better player than Ballack and Murphy.

Yeah, that bit was true.
65-1140560321

Postby bigmick » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:12 pm

Hus' you never actually said that, really did you? :D Onre of these days you should do a collection of your finest moments, including the "pikey mates" PM's and the body-builder stuff and stick it up on general chat. Wasn't there also a bet which didn't get paid out on aswell though? Fair play to you though you've never given me any bollox and FWIW you've made me laugh a couple of times aswell.
Just out of interest, (and I don't mean this in a patronising or mickey taking way at all) what position and level did/do you play at? I know you don't seriously think you are better than professional players I'm just curious.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:52 pm

I think Penant is a good player and 3-4 Million would be a good price, I have the feeling especially if Birmingham avoid the drop they would be asking a bit more than that.
He is one of there more better players and I doubt whether puffy head would let him go that cheaply, on top of this to the boys attitude does come into question (off the field antics).
66-1112520797

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed May 03, 2006 8:04 pm

I thought I would resurrect this thread, not only because it had some god discussion but it also relevant to recent events. Since Birmingham have been relegated we have been linked with Pennant, I myself haven’t seen this in the papers but some people have said to me that they have heard it.

We will sign a right winger in the summer, maybe 2, but I don’t think that Pennant would be very high up on the list. I would hope that after waiting so long and it being a top priority we would get someone better. I have already expressed my issues with Pennant earlier in this thread so I wont repeat myself.

So do you guys think that Rafa would consider Pennant as a viable target to fill a first berth on the right?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 03, 2006 8:39 pm

The price is right and he is a talent... surely Rafa, Jamie and Stevie can sort him out. And has been mentioned he may be no more than a different option for Benitez anyway. Gonzalez and Pennant could play out wide in certain matches, Kewell and Gerrard in others.

If Rafa plans to use Gerrard on the right more often than not next year it would also provide a basis for the rumours we've been hearing about the central midfielders we've been linked to lately. Someone like George Boateng is available on a free and would provide solid cover in the centre of the park.

I would prefer to see us put the bulk of our funds towards a new forward or (preferably) two. There is likely to be more quality available in terms of forwards rather than right midfielders (and greater room for improvement at the club in that position) so it would make more sense to splash out for a couple of top strikers instead.

We have been really successful with Stevie on the right this year, and whilst by no means my first choice it may be our best option. I have no problem with doing it again next year if we keep winning games and finally challenge for the championship... with top class forwards we would have already been doing that this year.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby scouse cockny » Wed May 03, 2006 10:07 pm

Doubt it - he gets that everywhere he goes id imagine..

rumour has it that pennant was linked to the story that broke a few weeks in the NOW. If true this would surly effect his form when the NOW finally leak the details
scouse cockny

Postby GunGod » Wed May 03, 2006 10:10 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I thought I would resurrect this thread, not only because it had some god discussion but it also relevant to recent events. Since Birmingham have been relegated we have been linked with Pennant, I myself haven’t seen this in the papers but some people have said to me that they have heard it.

We will sign a right winger in the summer, maybe 2, but I don’t think that Pennant would be very high up on the list. I would hope that after waiting so long and it being a top priority we would get someone better. I have already expressed my issues with Pennant earlier in this thread so I wont repeat myself.

So do you guys think that Rafa would consider Pennant as a viable target to fill a first berth on the right?

Maybe Pennant's reputation precedes him in the sense that some  might think "if he ain't good enough for Arsenal, he ain't good enough for us".

But to be honest, the RW probably isn't the only spot that needs some investment (the striking berth comes to mind) and if its value for money, I think its harder to beat what Pennant could offer. I suppose we could get him for 4M w/o much competition (in the sense that Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal wouldn't compete with us).

Thing bout him is that he's got the trickery (which is not alike C.Ronaldo's wasteful party tricks) to complement his pace. He delivers good crosses as well. Though his off-field life might be a bit worrying. He could actually be a very good player if he plays with a solid teamates whom he can trust on the pitch. I think by coming to Liverpool, he can only be better than what he is now.
GunGod

Postby GOAT » Wed May 03, 2006 10:26 pm

i do rate pennant, hes a great talent and we could get him at a good price, but there are better right wingers out there that i would prefer over pennant, but unfortunately we have to do the best with the money we have, players like joaquin, SWP are out of the question really..
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 04, 2006 7:05 am

pennants main attribute is value for money. a good winger available for a reasonable sum 3 to 6 million. if this is your argument why then not go the whole hog and buy heskey for (reputed) 2 million.
he is an established england international with a proven goal scoring record (once scored over 20 in a season for a previous club) has played at the highest levels for club and country. has pace, strength, aerial threat and fiece shooting ability. as you can see you can make a case for buying almost anyone!
          my own preference would be to stop buying squad players and buy a couple of genuine top quality first team players. bite the bullet, pay the price and get a class winger in joaquin and a top quality striker owen.
          pennant at best would be a squad player very similar to keiran richardson at manure - looked great with west brom but just a squad player. i may not be better than ballack but put me in a bad enough team and even i could shine.
          as for pennants off field antics - perhaps they could be overlooked and a gamble could be taken if he was top class but    for a squad player its just not worth the risk of upsetting a team thats just starting to show the sort of spirit we expect from a liverpool team. for years now we have seen it at old trafford and highbury - kick one of their players and you kick em all. while when a liverpool player was in trouble everyone looks around waiting for the ref to step in. this is the first time since the mid 80's that i have seen the promise of real team spirit running through the team.
sorry - rant over - time for my medicine
account deleted by request

Postby joko » Thu May 04, 2006 7:13 am

winger availability has been a massive issue ever since, and pennant must be a better option given the reasonably proper price and the skill he got. he's good in posessing and keeping ball to pass upfront, which has so far we're lack of. i have no idea about the issue of his attitude and all that but i think that's more to be some speculation whereas his skill is a fact.
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby whylongball? » Thu May 04, 2006 8:38 am

i think pennant can do a job..surely he can only do better if he trains at LFC..and he should come cheap  :)
whylongball?

Postby dawson99 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:42 am

we all know pennant is a good player, but what about when gonzalez joins us in the summer?
also, who else here is liking stevie on the right with alonso/sissoko in the middle?
pennant would be a great squad player but hes tasted non stop first team football with birmingham and i dont think hed be happy sitting on the sidelines. if his head is in the right place then yes he would be an ideal buy as whenever ive seen him play he has been outstanding. but if his temperament upsets the balance of the squad then we have to look elsewhere
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Thu May 04, 2006 2:30 pm

dawson99 wrote:we all know pennant is a good player, but what about when gonzalez joins us in the summer?
also, who else here is liking stevie on the right with alonso/sissoko in the middle?
pennant would be a great squad player but hes tasted non stop first team football with birmingham and i dont think hed be happy sitting on the sidelines. if his head is in the right place then yes he would be an ideal buy as whenever ive seen him play he has been outstanding. but if his temperament upsets the balance of the squad then we have to look elsewhere

Mark Gonzales is a left winger isn't he?

IMO the majority of fans would like to see a Joaquin or SWP, but that would cost a fair bit. Pennant on the cheap would be adequate for the short term, and if he pulls his thumb out and has a calm head off the field, I'm pretty sure he might suprise some doubters of his skill.
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion