Jermain defoe - Is he really good enough?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 12, 2006 2:50 pm

A lot of people keep mentioning Jermain Defoe’s name as a striker we should buy. I personally don’t see why people want him so much, for me he is marginally better than Cisse.

He constantly gets caught offside (more than anyone in 2004/2005 season), is too greedy, lacks awareness of players in better positions and is often ball watching when he should be moving. He really struggled at the beginning of the season because he is so predictable, defenders know that he will simply get the ball and try to run at them, so they can anticipate how to defend against him, this means he has struggled, just like Baros. He hasn’t enough in his locker to be a threat to top defenders, he has lost his place in the Tottenham team and has been dropped from the England squad, he really isn’t worth anymore than the £6 Mil that Spurs paid for him.

He is a limited player who lacks intelligence, would you really be happy to see him in our first team?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri May 12, 2006 2:51 pm

No .

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby GOAT » Fri May 12, 2006 2:54 pm

Nah, im not a fan of defoe, far more talented strikers out there, we can do better
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby 2520years » Fri May 12, 2006 2:57 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:he is marginally better than Cisse.

he really isn’t worth anymore than the £6 Mil that Spurs paid for him.

I'd have to agree with that.

He's English, which in my view gives him more appeal.  I reckon we can do better though...but then I'm not sure how much Rafa will have to spend. ???   I wonder what the latest figure being bandied around is for Rafa's 'War Chest'.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 12, 2006 2:59 pm

why has everyone mentioned him but no one mentioned robbie keane when keane is the one on form
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri May 12, 2006 3:01 pm

I suppose because Keane is older, club captain and the papers haven't linked us with him.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby GOAT » Fri May 12, 2006 3:06 pm

Meh, i dont like robbie keane either
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 12, 2006 3:08 pm

i dot like keane either lol. we'll be linked with at least 20 attackers this summer tho, gonna be a long one
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 12, 2006 3:13 pm

IMO Cisse will leave us and Defoe will leave Spurs this summer. Both strikers were not signed by their current managers and their careers have gone back over the last year. I get the impression a swap deal until the end of the season was discussed between us and them in January. Why it didn't go ahead I don't know but I can't see it happening in the summer after what Rafa said about Spurs being "desperate to sell Defoe".
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri May 12, 2006 3:46 pm

Defoe's had a poor season so now automically he is a poor player. ???

I think he is quality and i feel a little sorry for him, Jol obviously wanted a little and large combination with Mido a certain starter and it was between Defoe and Keane, Defoe was given a run of starts at the earlier part of the season and wasnt really producing...meaning Jol was right to drop him. In came Robbie Keane, and he has had his best season in the premiership and been one of the best strikers in the league. That has left Defoe in no-mans land in a world cup year.
He has not lost his ability just a bit of confidence and self belief.
I would love him to be at Anfield next season and think he would be a massive success, but like st mike said after what Rafa said in January i doubt they would deal with us.
Btw to say he is only marginally better than Cisse imo is crazy, remember the goal for england against Poland were he dinked it back over his shoulder and then drilled it on the half volley past the keeper ? Cisse does not have ability like that.
He may have been offside the most times this season, but that might be down to the fact that he is over eager to impress with being out of the team in a vital season. If he's only getting limited chances then it is bound to be difficult. I think he does need a move and would be made up if he ended up at Liverpool.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri May 12, 2006 3:53 pm

I dont want anyone named Jermaine playing for LFC , that includes Defoe , Pennant and that Aussie bird  Greer .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri May 12, 2006 4:10 pm

It's not true to say he's become a poor player but he's certainly stood still for eighteen months in my view. Had I have been in Jol's shoes I probably would have left him out in favour of Mido and Keane aswell so it's harsh to say the Dutchman is to blame for his stagnation.
Put simply, out and out goalscorers must score goals because broadly they don't add much else to the team. Provided the likes of Defoe and Owen are consistently putting the ball in the onion bag any manager will forgive the odd anonymous performance or glaring miscontrol, but once the goals dry up the microscope is well and truly switched on.
In the case of Defoe, in the game against us at White Hart Lane at the beginning of last season he was a real menace. He closed down the defenders with gusto, took the ball on the half-turn and ran at people generaly causing mayhem each time he recieved it. He capped off a fine performance with a goal and around that time looked not only a natural successor to Owen but even a potential danger to Michaels automatic selection for the England team in the short term at that point in time.
Since then there have been too many listless performances, too many misses both of chances and control. Can he get it back? Well he's only a young player so he can come again, though strikers once they've fallen by the wayside can find it hard to get back in the fast lane as proven by the likes of Francis Jeffers. I think to rediscover his most effective form he has to go back to being what he is at his best, that is to say an angry young man with a huge chip on his shoulder carrying around his intensity and desire like a beacon. In that form he will get booked, rough a few defenders up and will by sheer force of will impose himself on proceedings and score goals. His goal against West Ham on saturday was top quality and showed the talent was still there, he now needs to do the hard bit and find a way to bring it out of himself week-in, week-out.
If Rafa was looking to buy him (and  don't think he is) I would be uneasy about the fee climbing much over 7 million quid or so.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri May 12, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby xd3vilx » Fri May 12, 2006 4:14 pm

peter crouch is better than him... :;): he is good only in Football Manager however not in this real world...cisse is better than him for sure...
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PCG77 » Fri May 12, 2006 4:18 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I dont want anyone named Jermaine playing for LFC , that includes Defoe , Pennant and that Aussie bird  Greer .

Germaine Greer.... Dirty dyke socialite man hating %$#%
PCG77

Postby PCG77 » Fri May 12, 2006 4:19 pm

we could do worse than defoe
PCG77

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion