JAY SPEARING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Zidane » Tue May 03, 2011 3:19 pm

It was very surprising to see how well he can pass at times.. I thought he didn't have it in him to move the ball around the way he does.  It's still a toss up if we'll stick to two somewhat defensive CMs or if we'll go with 1 and 1 further forward.  If its the latter I think Spearing makes a great backup for Lucas.
Zidane

Postby sully0182 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:29 pm

probably an odd way to look at it but I wonder if a similar foreign player had been brought in in january and had similar performances to spearing would people be calling him a squad player? I'm not so sure. I think we tend not to show as much faith in the english players as we should. Considering the lad is only finding his proverbial feet in he league, i reckon he's done a good job so far, and he's young so he's only going to get better too.
You can't just walk in here with a big banana and expect everything to be peaches...

"We see things they'll never see" - Noel Gallagher, fellow united hater
sully0182

Postby Octsky » Tue May 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Spearing show early signs of scholes without the crazy antics,
and most agreed that Dan Murphy left the club too early.
Both of them have the heartbeat of the club and are good footballers.

football is not just a game of 11, n i will be glad for Spearing to back up the startings.
people forget that he is just 22 and performing to Lucas's standard, who himself took 2-3 seasons
to settle down n get to this present level.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:He has done exactly what has been asked of him.  He has hassled and tackled all through the games he has played in, and his passing is normally very neat and tidy as well.

I think in the last 3 games especially he has been excellent. If he can improve his attacking side of the game we culd have a little gem on our hands.

Lets not be so quick to write him off as just a squad player as small improvements in his game ould make him very much a first team player

Must admit it's easy to simply write him off as a player who looks like he can be a decent squad player who can come in and contribute and nothing more than that BUT his performances recently have been excellent. And what's mroe they have been excellent agains the likes of Man City and Arsenal so you have to ask if he can perform like that in those games then why can't he do it over a 38 game season? Plus I don't think it's unresonable to expect him to improve, he's made great strides this season so perhaps he can make a few more going into next year.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri May 06, 2011 1:32 pm

Well he just signed a new deal! It shows that Kenny still rates him.

so koff you haters :D (joking)

Anyways, good news... get in! :buttrock
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri May 06, 2011 1:37 pm

metalhead wrote:Well he just signed a new deal! It shows that Kenny still rates him.

Thoroughly deserves it, made up for the little munchkin  :D
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby woof woof ! » Fri May 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
metalhead wrote:Well he just signed a new deal! It shows that Kenny still rates him.

AW for fks sake, dont tell me that in his youth Spearing (right of picture) was another bitters supporter 

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Fri May 06, 2011 3:47 pm

i hope these contracts are being dished out in order to increase the players value before they are moved on.
i was hoping kk had all these guys in the shop window before they are shipped out in the summer to raise cash for better replacements
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri May 06, 2011 3:50 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:

AW for fks sake, dont tell me that in his youth Spearing (right of picture) was another bitters supporter 

pmsl :D
he's a ringer alright
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri May 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:

One of the lollipop guild to be exact
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Sat May 07, 2011 2:55 am

Jay Spearing earns new Liverpool contract

6 May 2011 16:06 UK

The 22-year-old, who has started his side's last six games, has been rewarded at the end of a season in which he has begun to establish himself in the first team.

"It is great news for us, great for wee Jay and for everybody concerned," said Reds boss Kenny Dalglish.

"It's just reward for the performances he's put in and he thoroughly deserves what he's got."

The tigerish Spearing has come through the ranks at Anfield since joining the club as a seven-year-old but has had to be patient in his wait for first-team action.

"He has started the last few games for us, so that is progress in itself as he was never one of the starting XI unless there were injuries or suspensions," added Dalglish.  "But he's in there now and he's in there on merit. I think that's progress.

"He's certainly reached a higher level than he has done before. We're delighted with what he's done and he's a great asset for us to have."

Spearing made his Liverpool debut as a substitute in a 3-1 win at PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League in December 2008 before his first Premier League start in a 1-0 defeat at Sunderland in October 2009.

He also spent a spell on loan at Championship club Leicester at the end of the 2009-10 campaign.

"I am buzzing," he told the Liverpool website. "I'm pleased to have finally put pen to paper and got everything sorted.

"I've been here for a long time and playing for Liverpool is all I have ever wanted to do, so hopefully I can keep going now.

"It has been a long time coming. I've been in the background and in and around the first team and maybe not had a run in the team, but now I'm getting that run I've been able to show my desire and commitment to the club.

"I owe a lot to the boss and hopefully I am repaying him with the games I am playing. He put me into the derby [against Everton in January] straight away and that gave me a lot of confidence.

"Any player who has the belief of the manager always wants to go on and show what he can do.

"With the new boss coming in and the way we have been playing and with me getting some game time, it has been a good couple of months and this has topped it off for me."
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Sat May 07, 2011 5:43 am

woof woof ! wrote:AW for fks sake, dont tell me that in his youth Spearing (right of picture) was another bitters supporter 

:bowdown
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Sat May 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Need players like Jay, maybe not the world class type we need but he can do the job. Will always give 110% whether he's in the starting 11 or not, he will also refrain from whinging if he is not first team material and hopefully will always be happy to serve the club in any way shape or form as is needed. Well deserved.
Zidane

Postby Waldo » Mon May 09, 2011 12:44 pm

You could argue that in the last 6-7 games he has been our best player. Certainly making me think about whether or not we need to recruit a top class MF general in the Mascherano mould. He has been top class recently and does a helluva (dirty)work for the team.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon May 09, 2011 1:35 pm

excellent news about the new contract. has been nothing short of a revelation since kenny came in.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion