JAY SPEARING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby D___C » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:05 pm

7_Kewell wrote:been saying for YEARS he's not good enough. Too limited and lacking in ability to make it at a good Premier league side. He should be at Bolton

ahead of Petrov or Reo Coker? No chance

Jay will be at Sheffield Wednesday within a year.
D___C

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Unfortunately, while people continue to try justify their earlier opinions of the lad he'll never get the credit he's due, despite his obvious progress over the past couple of seasons. You don't even have to think him good enough in the long run to make that observation, but it's still true. On more than a few occasions since Kenny took over, he's come in and grafted away in the midfield, breaking up the play and doing a reasonable job of distributing the ball. Not first team material but better than some of the sh!te that preceded him, and I'm thinking of Poulsen in particular here. He was even in Kerry's famous Fulham side that played such wonderful football toward the end of last season, but he won't remember that.
LFC2007

Postby aCe' » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:00 am

Cant believe he's coming in for Sh*t from some. He's done well in most occasions when picked and by no means deserves to be singled out.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:04 am

Why are people having a go at Spearing ? He has done well for us - the defence fecked up tonight
Benny The Noon

Postby D___C » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:06 am

LFC2007 wrote:Unfortunately, while people continue to try justify their earlier opinions of the lad he'll never get the credit he's due, despite his obvious progress over the past couple of seasons. You don't even have to think him good enough in the long run to make that observation, but it's still true. On more than a few occasions since Kenny took over, he's come in and grafted away in the midfield, breaking up the play and doing a reasonable job of distributing the ball. Not first team material but better than some of the sh!te that preceded him, and I'm thinking of Poulsen in particular here. He was even in Kerry's famous Fulham side that played such wonderful football toward the end of last season, but he won't remember that.

To be fair we spent most of that game in Fulhams half... constant wave after wave of attack. Spearing had very little defensive work to do that day.. today he did and QPR waltzed through the heart of midfield umpteen times.

Hes only at the club because he came through the academy... we would never have actually bought him (although after what we spent 75million on that may not be the case)
D___C

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:08 am

D___C wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Unfortunately, while people continue to try justify their earlier opinions of the lad he'll never get the credit he's due, despite his obvious progress over the past couple of seasons. You don't even have to think him good enough in the long run to make that observation, but it's still true. On more than a few occasions since Kenny took over, he's come in and grafted away in the midfield, breaking up the play and doing a reasonable job of distributing the ball. Not first team material but better than some of the sh!te that preceded him, and I'm thinking of Poulsen in particular here. He was even in Kerry's famous Fulham side that played such wonderful football toward the end of last season, but he won't remember that.

To be fair we spent most of that game in Fulhams half... constant wave after wave of attack. Spearing had very little defensive work to do that day.. today he did and QPR waltzed through the heart of midfield umpteen times.

Hes only at the club because he came through the academy... we would never have actually bought him (although after what we spent 75million on that may not be the case)

Which goal was Spearing at fault for then ?
Benny The Noon

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:14 am

D___C wrote:

Just not true. At Fulham we came under a lot of pressure after a period of first half-pressure from ourselves, but we kept them at bay, and that was in no small part due to the work of Lucas and Spearing, two players who your obvious bias prevents you from ever crediting with any good performance. You see things in very black and white terms.

By the way, I actually agree that he isn't good enough for us, and that we obviously wouldn't have bought him if he played for another club, but when he plays well, what is the point in denying it, and likewise with any player.
LFC2007

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:32 am

Spearing had a very good game against QPR, baring Suarez and Gerrard he was the best player out there for us.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:33 am

D___C wrote:i dont know whether its his limitations as a footballer or his dwarfish size (probably a combination of both) that mean he has no place as a holding midfielder at Liverpool.

QPR waltzed through the heart of midfield umpteen times, where a quality holding mid should be placed, unfortunately we only had the little fella.

Kenny had 100 million.. you could get 4 top class signings for that money.. a quality holding mid, attacking mid, wide player, and a forward.

Instead we've been left with midtable standard English players, and youth players who should have left the club after the academy.

The league season cannot end fast enough.

Absolutely f.ucking clueless.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby D___C » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:04 am

Kenny Kan wrote:
D___C wrote:i dont know whether its his limitations as a footballer or his dwarfish size (probably a combination of both) that mean he has no place as a holding midfielder at Liverpool.

QPR waltzed through the heart of midfield umpteen times, where a quality holding mid should be placed, unfortunately we only had the little fella.

Kenny had 100 million.. you could get 4 top class signings for that money.. a quality holding mid, attacking mid, wide player, and a forward.

Instead we've been left with midtable standard English players, and youth players who should have left the club after the academy.

The league season cannot end fast enough.

Absolutely f.ucking clueless.

baseless comment.

I am very happy to back up every point i make.. rather than "oh u idiot"... "f***king dickhead"..etc etc

We bought British players from Blackpool (18th), Sunderland (10th), Newcastle (12th), Aston Villa (9th)... Adam is a lower Premiership/Championship player, Henderson smacks of midtable as does Carroll, while Downing has the talent to be a top six player (lacks self belief)... i have just accurately described four players whom we forked out 75 million pound on. We plucked them from their level and they have struggled bigtime at ours, and are dragging us closer and closer to theirs. Andy Carroll was on the market for 2 million pounds sterling in August 2009 prior to their season in the Dean Windass Championship,.. 6 months after that we fork out 35 million. Newcastle were more stunned than we were.. the Newcastle guy that brokered the deal stated he worth "f**k all". Newcastle are not only a better team without him but they play better, while we are worse with him and play worse. Its beyond farcical, its not funny. Its akin to paying 8 quid for a Mars bar, 10 quid for a can of coke.

With that 75 million, we sign Javi Martinez (35m buyout clause but we'd have got him for circa 23m), and Fernando Llorente (similar 34m buyout clause but mid 20's would have got him)... we would be looking at a completely different season. Both Arsenal and Chelsea have been pap this season.. had we made those two quality additions for much less that the sum we forked out for midtable standard british players we would be sitting in 3rd place if not actually mounting a decent challenge. This is no hindight btw.. ive been saying this since last January.

As a Liverpool fan 31st January 2011 was easily the most depressing non footballing day for me..i knew we consigned ourselves to mediocrIty. The yellow ticker going across SSN stating we had bid over 30m for Andy Carroll... stunned wasn't the word. The consequences of that signing are still with us, we accomodate a player who makes us worse (and only do so because of the preposterous fee), we changed a successful method of play to accomodate this chump, not just the 35million fee but hes eating into the clubs funds with hefty wages, and the sell on value decreases with every display. It was a catastrophic signing and until we cut our losses this will continue to hurt us.

As for Academy players, only Martin Kelly looks Premiership class (Raheem coming through will hopefully be the real deal as i suspect he will be). The others are simply not up to playing for a club that aspires to challenge.
Last edited by D___C on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
D___C

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:27 am

We bought British players from Blackpool (18th), Sunderland (10th), Newcastle (12th), Aston Villa (9th)... Adam is a lower Premiership/Championship player, Henderson smacks of midtable as does Carroll, while Downing has the talent to be a top six player (lacks self belief)... i have just accurately described four players whom we forked out 75 million pound on. We plucked them from their level and they have struggled bigtime at ours, and are dragging us closer and closer to theirs.

With that 75 million, we sign Javi Martinez (35m buyout clause but we'd have got him for circa 23m), and Fernando Llorente (similar 34m buyout clause but mid 20's would have got him)... we would be looking at a completely different season. Both Arsenal and Chelsea have been pap this season.. had we made those two quality additions for much less that the sum we forked out for midtable standard british players we would be sitting in 3rd place if not actually mounting a decent challenge. This is no hindight btw.. ive been saying this since last January

As a Liverpool fan 31st January 2011 was easily the most depressing non footballing day for me..i knew we consigned ourselves to mediocrIty. The yellow ticker going across SSN stating we had bid over 30m for Andy Carroll... stunned wasn't the word. The consequences of that signing are still with us, we accomodate a player who makes us worse (and only do so because of the preposterous fee), we changed a successful method of play to accomodate this chump, not just the 35million fee but hes eating into the clubs funds with hefty wages, and the sell on value decreases with every display. It was a catastrophic signing and until we cut our losses this will continue to hurt us.

IRRELEVANT POST. Unless you're blaming Spearing for the way the club has spent money.

To bring you back on track, explain how QPR "waltzed through the heart of our midfield umpteen times"

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby D___C » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:39 am

Spearing is a minor issue (he will be wearing a Sheffield Wednesday shirt soon enough)... the rest is the crux of the matter, hence i backed up my comment in response to the baseless one.
D___C

Postby subsy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:14 am

My feeling is he's not good enough, but at least he shows some passion and the right attitude when he's out there in a red shirt.
subsy
LFC Basic Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:50 pm

D___C wrote:Spearing is a minor issue (he will be wearing a Sheffield Wednesday shirt soon enough)... the rest is the crux of the matter, hence i backed up my comment in response to the baseless one.

AGAIN.  address your initial statement re "QPR waltzing through our midfield" because of Spearing.

If you can't, just hold your hands up and say so, so we can put it down to knee-jerk.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Spearing definatley wasnt the problem yesterday, he was one of the few that showed heart and pride in the shirt he was wearing.

D_C is there an "i" missing in your name?
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion