JAY SPEARING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 am

There's a lot better out there for sure and I do doubt his ability to perform week in week out and have a significant impact on the side but just having someone who plays in his position naturally is making the difference right now. He likes to put himself about and is certainly confident with the ball, everytime we had the ball he was screaming for it arms up in the air. I love this lads committment but he is prone to the odd needless foul and dodgy pass. In general its clear the defence is protected with him there and he knows what he's doing, only thing for me was Gerrard didn't take advantage of this more and bomb forward, though given the opposition were Stoke a scrappy affair was to be expected
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Johnny Boy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:50 am

Like his attitude and always nice to have a local lad in the team.
Not sure personally if we want him playing every game, but whilst Lucas is injured he is our best option as a replacement.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:58 am

Greavesie wrote:There's a lot better out there for sure and I do doubt his ability to perform week in week out and have a significant impact on the side but just having someone who plays in his position naturally is making the difference right now. He likes to put himself about and is certainly confident with the ball, everytime we had the ball he was screaming for it arms up in the air. I love this lads committment but he is prone to the odd needless foul and dodgy pass. In general its clear the defence is protected with him there and he knows what he's doing, only thing for me was Gerrard didn't take advantage of this more and bomb forward, though given the opposition were Stoke a scrappy affair was to be expected

He's a Danny Murphy clone - nice lad, plays his heart out but simply not european cup winning standard.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 am

I thought he played well yesterday, as he did in the derby
Hes best when he keeps it simple and doesnt try long passes. He has done well and deserved his place on both occassions
Thommo's perm

Postby akumaface » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Jay is a decent player but if Lucas wasn't injured, he would have no chance playing as much. There is no question about the effort he put in every game but if LFC is to improve, we need someone who is more dominant at that position. ie, mascher type player but i know those kind of player is a few far and between. But Jay is a decent squad player to have.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Reg wrote:
Greavesie wrote:There's a lot better out there for sure and I do doubt his ability to perform week in week out and have a significant impact on the side but just having someone who plays in his position naturally is making the difference right now. He likes to put himself about and is certainly confident with the ball, everytime we had the ball he was screaming for it arms up in the air. I love this lads committment but he is prone to the odd needless foul and dodgy pass. In general its clear the defence is protected with him there and he knows what he's doing, only thing for me was Gerrard didn't take advantage of this more and bomb forward, though given the opposition were Stoke a scrappy affair was to be expected

He's a Danny Murphy clone - nice lad, plays his heart out but simply not european cup winning standard.

you need players like that though, players like jay dont have an ego and the only thing they are interested in is helping the team win.
i think thats were england have gone wrong in the past, they just picked the 11 best players in the country but picking the best 11 players doesnt neccessarily mean you are picking the best team.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:26 pm

akumaface wrote:Jay is a decent player but if Lucas wasn't injured, he would have no chance playing as much. There is no question about the effort he put in every game but if LFC is to improve, we need someone who is more dominant at that position. ie, mascher type player but i know those kind of player is a few far and between. But Jay is a decent squad player to have.

That's what we/they said about Lucas.

Lucas was both an understudy to Mascherano and previously Alonso. He developed into the crucial player we saw earlier this season.

No one saw that development in Lucas, so equally we cannot rule out Jay Spearing to develop into the same.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:21 am

Not sure if you guys have ever played football IRL before but a player of Spearings stature is very annoying to have after your ***** and especially if they are not afraid to put a tackle in.

Really like what I have seen of him both earlier and this year.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:52 am

:nod
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:25 am

you need players like that though, players like jay dont have an ego and the only thing they are interested in is helping the team win

Spot on.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:43 am

Kukilon wrote:Not sure if you guys have ever played football IRL.

Are you talking about FIFA?
:lookaround
Thommo's perm

Postby akumaface » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:27 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
akumaface wrote:Jay is a decent player but if Lucas wasn't injured, he would have no chance playing as much. There is no question about the effort he put in every game but if LFC is to improve, we need someone who is more dominant at that position. ie, mascher type player but i know those kind of player is a few far and between. But Jay is a decent squad player to have.

That's what we/they said about Lucas.

Lucas was both an understudy to Mascherano and previously Alonso. He developed into the crucial player we saw earlier this season.

No one saw that development in Lucas, so equally we cannot rule out Jay Spearing to develop into the same.

But Lucas was Brazilian Young player of the year  :laugh: . And we need to wait for another 4 or 5 years before he will become another Lucas.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Jay Spearing is a decent enough squad player, not sure if he will ever develop into a very good midfielder, if he does excellent, if he doesn't then ship him out.
Boxscarf

Postby D___C » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:02 pm

i dont know whether its his limitations as a footballer or his dwarfish size (probably a combination of both) that mean he has no place as a holding midfielder at Liverpool.

QPR waltzed through the heart of midfield umpteen times, where a quality holding mid should be placed, unfortunately we only had the little fella.

Kenny had 100 million.. you could get 4 top class signings for that money.. a quality holding mid, attacking mid, wide player, and a forward.

Instead we've been left with midtable standard English players, and youth players who should have left the club after the academy.

The league season cannot end fast enough.
D___C

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:03 pm

been saying for YEARS he's not good enough. Too limited and lacking in ability to make it at a good Premier league side. He should be at Bolton
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion