January hope - New player?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:11 pm

Upson's not good enough.
115-1073096938

Postby Tony S » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:37 pm

New to this forum so be gentle! been hooked to it since the whole transfer window sinnanigans begun- actually spent more time checking who the hell we were going to sign rather than working!

Anyway after one of our best success for a long time in the CL im a little concerned as many of you are about exactly when we are going to have a squad stong enough to compete for the title on a regualr basis and get rid of this whole "Liverpool were lucky" rubbish about last years Cl victory.

I did look on with disbelief when we signed Crouch for 7million- but fair play he hasnt done too badly and im all for giving the lad time to prove himself. Sissoko has been a revelation,but really and truly we need some big game players who will win matches and supply our goal shy strikers.

So back to the thread- who do we go for in teh January transfer window??

I would love to see players with the quality of Joaquin come to club, but to be honest £20 million (all the cash we have to spend i would imagine) is not a wise investment. 1 palyer never did and never will win games every week (unless your names ronaldinho)

So in my opinion the following would be prime candidates for the transfer windon:

1. Luisao- a solid cb who would give us  much needed strenth at defensive set pieces

2. Lucio- May be on the expensive side (not sure what Bayern would want for him), but one of the best central defenders in the world who has a canny ability to score the odd goal

3. Ledley King- as previously mentioned- a seasoned EPL player who is still young and is bursting with potential- again could be overpriced

4. Daniele Bonera- looks class- parma will sell if the price is right.

As you can see im only taling cb's as i feel this is an area we need cover urgently. King would be the preffered option due to the fact he wouldnt be cup-tied in the CL and the fact hes english and can play with carragher. £8 million should be our budget for a CB

Then with the remaining 12 mill or so..consider the following options on the right/ left wing:

1. Joaquin (yes i did say not to blow our load on him) but perhaps do a player plus cash deal for him- £8 mill+ kewell? However quite certain Betis wanna cash on so unlikey but if any one can make it happen its Rafa

2. Joe Cole- yes he plays for scummy chelski- but the boy just wants a regular game and would probably jump at the chance- its jose the :censored: we have to convince-mmm-

I wasnt convinced by simao yesterday- the guy doesnt play with his heart on his sleeve- and as for gonzalez- not sure why so many are convinced when the lad hasnt even kicked a frkin ball for f knows how long- for all we know he could be the new nunez...

Cummon rafa pull a few rabbits outta the hat coz im struggling with ideas too...

Cheers

tony s
Tony S

Postby Judge » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:42 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:tad over-flated

are you on about jordan??  :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:06 pm

Joaquin qould be nice and he does want to play for us but i dont see Betis letting him go for less than £20 - £25M. Were talking about a players along side the calibre of Steven Gerrard and Xavi Alonso. If Rafa can pull out a deal for him then great but im not putting my hopes on him too much. I think we will get Simao as we were only 1M short of the asking price for him he should be no problem. He ran Utds defence ragged at times yesterday and would fit in well it seems platying against premiership sides based on lasts nights performance.

As for a CB i really do not know whats going to happen. Im sure someone will come in but we were linked with half a dozen CB's during the summer but not one came.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:13 pm

Hello Tony s and welcome........you post in the same way as someone else on here
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tony S » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:24 pm

Thanks Drummer phil- very kind you to welcome me mate!

i m def a newbie though- like i said been reading views on the forum for the last 3-4 months and have seen some really intelligent posts...most of the other forums are total shi*.

As a lfc fan that has endured years of abuse for being a team who will never challenge for the EPL- its refreshing to have the respect and a glimmer of hope this season after the CL win.

With rafa being a spaniard he obviously knows the la liga players well, but at some point he has to look at what we have here more closely- yes many are over priced (eg crouch) but you dont have the 1-2 year transition that alot of these forigen based players need-

Im not slating rafa coz what he has achieved in his first season was amazing- but we have a long way to go and as far as im concerned the way forward is UK based players who know the EPL inside out and are built physically and mentally to cope with our treachourous season.

With that in mind- who would you like to see from the EPL join LFC?
Tony S

Postby drummerphil » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:13 pm

UK (English players).....i could name one or two .....but we would probably  never get them,because of the cost.
Damien Duff,Downing,ledley king,defoe.etc
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:21 pm

who would you sign Tony S
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:39 pm

Hey Tony remember earlier when i said your style of posting reminded me of someone else,you also hang about in one thread for ages without posting.......funny enough ....just like he did......and the other coincidence is you join on the day he left..............what a wonderful and weird world we live in eh.:laugh:
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:44 pm

I think we could get Downing. Im sure Rafa would have no problem persuading him to sign. He might well be an option should the Gonzalez deal fail to materialise but in all honesty once Rafas set his eys on someone he persiveres until he gets him. (eg:...crouch) Which is why ithink he will go back for Simao and Mezes or Luisao
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oOShrimpyOo » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:47 pm

drummerphil wrote:UK (English players).....i could name one or two .....but we would probably  never get them,because of the cost.
Damien Duff,Downing,ledley king,defoe.etc

damien duff is irish
oOShrimpyOo

Postby drummerphil » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:53 pm

I know he is, he said uk based players.....i assumed he meant players that are already playing in the premiership
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tony S » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:04 pm

Drummer Phil- you are spot on mate i meant players based in the premiership- not speciafivally english- sorry for any confusion caused!

Me personally, id like to see the likes of pennant (yes hes a mare to manage, but the boy is the next best thing to c.ronaldo) - he can cross and he can beat players. Rafa would soon kick his :censored: into gear.

Also quality defebders like King and Toure. Hard to see it ever happening i know.

A realistic option would have been solano- dont know why we waited till 12 hour to ask him to join us- should have done it as part of the baros deal..but anyhow. We need crosses and creative minds..not luxury players who will constantly gice away the ball with flicks and underhit passes (u know who u are!!)

To be honest the list of uk based players is endless but price and availabilty is the problem...the fact is we had major clout this summer after the cl win- we should have used it more i feel.

Tony S.
Tony S

Postby Tony S » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:06 pm

Its not all doom and gloom though- just means rafa has to work extra hard tio find payers who can adapt quickly like sissoko...

cummon the reds..only a few hours till kick off...
Tony S

Postby drummerphil » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:08 pm

I,m glad you have replied Tony s..........i was convinced you were someone else,i owed an apology to
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion